Books-A-Million Interview Questions

Updated Oct 7, 2014
Updated Oct 7, 2014

2.1

Book Seller Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Books-A-Million in August 2014.

I should have known from the initial point of contact that this "interview" would be a disaster. The interviewer asked if I was available on XY date, I said yes, and they promptly hung up on me! I tried giving the benefit of the doubt that we were disconnected, but had a bad feeling nonetheless.

The day of my interview arrived. I got there 5 minutes early. The interviewer greeted me and said he was busy with new hire paperwork so I would have to wait. I said that's fine, but why would he bring up new hires? Made me feel like my time wasn't important, and very disrespectful. Well, I waited 25 minutes past my interview time before he finally showed up.

We sat down in the cafe, which I felt was not private at all. There were employees around being loud and customers trying to read. First, he called me by the wrong name, and when I corrected him, he sifted through a huge pile of resumes to find mine. One employee kept trying to distract the interviewer (who I'm pretty sure wasn't even a manager or supervisor) throughout the entire process, and often when I was speaking, the interviewer would bust out laughing at something the employee was distracting him with behind my back. He kept yawning and wouldn't give me eye contact.

The company seems way too concerned with selling the customer discount/benefit cards. I don't think it's fair to start an employee at minimum wage and give the most/best hours to those who sell the most cards. But that's just my 2 cents.

This interview was extremely amateur and I walked away totally disappointed. I thought I would enjoy working at BAM but my experience was very negative. Before you apply to this company, read through the interviews on this site. I had my doubts about most but unfortunately only believed when I saw with my own eyes. Don't waste your time. It seemed like the interviewer wanted friends more than respectable employees; he asked me more than once how I would fit in with current employees because they are all friends.

Advice to BAM: Pay better attention at whats going on in your stores. It's embarrassing.

Even if I had gotten an offer I would have declined. A total disappointment.

Bookseller Interview

I received a call for the interview about 3 days after I applied and on a Sunday afternoon. I was planning to call on Monday when I thought it was appropriate to call about setting up an interview, but they beat me to the punch! During the interview the assistant manager and I talked about likes and dislike of my previous employers, strengths and weaknesses, etc. We discovered we shared a common interest in History so we discussed that for a while. It was off topic, but it helped a lot because we realized we could be interact on a friendlier level.
    The assistant manager liked me apparently because she immediately called over the store manager to interview me on the spot instead of waiting for a second interview. The store manager was a little tough. She asked me many of the same questions, but wanted me to use different answers than I gave the previous manager. I was a little intimidated by her more professional process. Finally she asked the popular question "Why should I hire you?" Apparently I answered well enough because she sent in my background check and I started working the next week.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about your weaknesses and what you plans are for overcoming them.   View Answer

Bookseller Interview

I applied online, got a call and the interview was pretty basic, whats your availability, do you mind late shifts..nothing really specific. The one lady was really short and smelled like poppy seeds and a hint of lime and maybe lemon

Keyholder Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Exton, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Exton, PA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Books-A-Million.

After applying online, I received a phone call from the General Manager that included a brief discussion of the job. We set up an in-person interview, and the District Manager called and spoke to me on the phone. Within a week there was a job offer.

During the interview, we spoke about books (obviously), and outside interests. It was more like a friendly discussion than a formal interview, which honestly made more sense - one must be able to discuss books conversationally in order to do well.

Barista Interview

Had one interview. Called me later in the week and offered me the job. They just talked to me about how important it is to upsell, especially the discount card.

Interview Questions
    • they just talked to me about selling the discount card and magazines.   Answer Question

Bookseller Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Books-A-Million.

I applied online, and the next time I was in the store, I mentioned it and got to talk to the manager. A few weeks later, after following up multiple times, I found out that my application never went through so I had to reapply. After confirming that it went through, it took a long time for my background check to be done. Eventually, it arrived, and I was hired.

Interview Questions
    • Are you comfortable with selling the card and magazines?   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Books-A-Million.

I had to make a follow up call after submitting my application about a week later to get an interview. Very friendly manager interviewed me and was most impressed by my previous experience with answering phones which you may need to do on the job.

Interview Questions
    Gave them a copy of my school schedule and they worked around it without a problem.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Books-A-Million.

Simple: first interview, role playing sales situation, second interview
    You have to really work to get first interview. Even if you are a qualified candidate they may not call. You have to be aggressive and take initiative. Be prepared with your own questions and determine if you want to be managed by this person. Lot of persons on management team not experienced in interviewing or in the industry. You interview them as well.

Interview Questions

salary offer not in line with experience

Bookseller/Barista Interview

Was not bad, I went in for 2 interviews and received the job a couple of days after the second interview. Both of the interviews went well I was told about the discount card and magazine offer. I was informed this was mandatory and I accepted.

Assistant General Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Books-A-Million.

All done over the phone, the company is out of state.

Not able to negotiate