Books-A-Million Interview Questions

Updated Aug 28, 2015

2.0

Bookseller/Barista Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baton Rouge, LA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Books-A-Million (Baton Rouge, LA).

Interview

I had the job within her asking me three questions. Pretty cut and dry interview. Very basic questions and doesn't take much preparation. They were very desperate for people so I am pretty sure she didn't care what I was saying.

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Books-A-Million.

Interview

I applied online two years ago and called about all day interviews on site. I came in for an interview. I was applying to become a Bookseller, but the manager wanted me to be a Barista or was implying this. It was a simple interview. I was called to come in to do paperwork because I was hired. I ended up quitting due to how unorganized the store was and unprofessionalism.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Laredo, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Books-A-Million (Laredo, TX).

Interview

Brief and to-the-point interview process; was asked specific questions and given valuable information about the importance of the company and customer service. From the interview to my work now, I feel very comfortable with the workings of the company and the store as well as the people I work with--company team members are always friendly and helpful.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charleston, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Books-A-Million (Charleston, SC).

Interview

It was very informal, lasting maybe ten minutes with the AGM and another 3-5 with the GM. They asked why I was interested, whether I had worked in retail before, and what value I would bring to the team - pretty generic stuff. It was not the kind of interview that required any strenuous prep work.

Interview Questions

• They did ask how much I expected to earn.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South Portland, ME

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Books-A-Million (South Portland, ME).

Interview

I was very patient as the store was understaffed. The interview was 30 minutes late and the interviewer had to leave and come back almost 4 times to back up in various parts of the store.

Interview Questions

• When would you be able to start?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Destin, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Books-A-Million (Destin, FL) in March 2015.

Interview

Standard interview. Show up in slacks and a polo. They ask you standard questions for the most part. They are desperate for employees because the company doesn't offer fair wages. It's a tourist area, so most employees are traveling from neighboring towns. Due to the price of gas, it doesn't make economic sense to work there.

PHP Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Books-A-Million.

Interview

Over the phone with Corporate then face to face with team leader in Nashville, office was worse than a startup in a garage, I would be ashamed if this was the corporate IT department in my company...what an embarrassment

Interview Questions

• Technical Stuff   1 Answer
    • Questions were authored by another developer not available, so they were flying blind   1 Answer

Books-A-Million Response

Mar 10, 2015 – VP of HR

We are always interested in feedback from candidates who are interested in working with Books-A-Million. Thanks for letting us know about your experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Concord, NH

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Books-A-Million (Concord, NH) in February 2015.

Interview

Basically they were looking for a warm body to fill their schedule. They discussed the duties but omitted their emphasis on the sale of discount cards. They were vague about compensation and opportunities in company.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever worked at a bookstore?   1 Answer

Negotiation

None

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Southaven, MS

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Books-A-Million (Southaven, MS) in January 2015.

Interview

I applied online. Filled out a survey. Went to the store. Talked to the gm and agm. Both clearly liked me. They always said they were going to call me back. Once they said three days. I waited till the fourth to call them. Then they said another week. A week later, no call. I then called again, they asked for my phone number...again. They said they were going to run a background check. A week later I got the job.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?   1 Answer
    • When are you available?   1 Answer
    • What are your interests?   Answer Question
    • What would you do if we were really slow and you had to sell 10 discount cards?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Books-A-Million in January 2015.

Interview

Applied online and contacted by store GM about 3 days later. Arrived for interview and had to wait about 10 minutes as I guess this was a change in shift. Very small store, so GM could not leave the register while change over happened. Going into the back office the GM told associate that she was going to interview me and would not be long. "Interview" was interrupted every 5 minutes by associate who needed assistance with (whatever he needed assistance with). At end of interview I was told if they decided to move forward I would have phone interview with RM & DMIT. Very first question of interview was if I was aware of the discount card, which echoes store reviews on glassdoor as to it's importance to BAM. 2nd question was about magazine subscriptions. Not very organized as GM would not follow up or remember what question she last asked before the various interruptions.

Interview Questions

• I was very surprised that I had to ask what the salary and hours were. Even more surprised (which I think showed on my face) when I inquired and was told $24k was the salary for a 40 hour work week. I guess they'll continue to hire inexperienced high school kids or otherwise. This is only a living wage if you're living with mommy & daddy. Not worth my time to interview.   Answer Question