Books-A-Million Interview Questions

Updated Mar 11, 2015

2.0

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South Portland, ME
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in South Portland, ME

I applied in-person. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Books-A-Million.

I was very patient as the store was understaffed. The interview was 30 minutes late and the interviewer had to leave and come back almost 4 times to back up in various parts of the store.

PHP Developer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Books-A-Million.

Over the phone with Corporate then face to face with team leader in Nashville, office was worse than a startup in a garage, I would be ashamed if this was the corporate IT department in my company...what an embarrassment

Interview Questions
    • Technical Stuff   View Answer
    • Questions were authored by another developer not available, so they were flying blind   View Answer

Books-A-Million Response

Mar 10, 2015VP of HR

We are always interested in feedback from candidates who are interested in working with Books-A-Million. Thanks for letting us know about your experience.

Assistant General Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Books-A-Million in January 2015.

Applied online and contacted by store GM about 3 days later. Arrived for interview and had to wait about 10 minutes as I guess this was a change in shift. Very small store, so GM could not leave the register while change over happened. Going into the back office the GM told associate that she was going to interview me and would not be long. "Interview" was interrupted every 5 minutes by associate who needed assistance with (whatever he needed assistance with). At end of interview I was told if they decided to move forward I would have phone interview with RM & DMIT. Very first question of interview was if I was aware of the discount card, which echoes store reviews on glassdoor as to it's importance to BAM. 2nd question was about magazine subscriptions. Not very organized as GM would not follow up or remember what question she last asked before the various interruptions.

Interview Questions
    • I was very surprised that I had to ask what the salary and hours were. Even more surprised (which I think showed on my face) when I inquired and was told $24k was the salary for a 40 hour work week. I guess they'll continue to hire inexperienced high school kids or otherwise. This is only a living wage if you're living with mommy & daddy. Not worth my time to interview.   Answer Question

P/T Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Books-A-Million.

I was interviewed in an odd process where I listened to the manager complain about her job for 30 min. Literally, all the woman did was complain and whine about her job, how the "higher-ups" abused the workers(actually she used the word describing the solid end result of the digestive process), and how she was expected to enforce her work force hassling the customers to buy magazine subscriptions and discount cards or else suffer cut hours or being made redundant.

Interview Questions
    • Why the hell do you want to work retail?   View Answer
    None

Part-time Bookseller Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Books-A-Million.

Informal, one-on-one interview with a manager and standard interview questions going off of the information provided in my application. Also, lots of question/discussion about books, of course: favorite genres, favorite authors, what book I'd read most recently, etc. It wasn't high pressure, and I actually found it pretty fun.

The manager seemed uncomfortable with my level of education though, since I already had a bachelors in hand. I had just started graduate school at the time and was looking for a part-time position to last me through the 2-3 years of my program. Even though I said I expected to stay for at least two years, she said she was concerned I would leave them early. I did not get an offer.

Interview Questions
    • What assurance do I have that you won't start and then just leave us?   Answer Question

Bookseller Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Books-A-Million.

I applied online for the Bookseller position then received a call a week later asking if I'd like to set up an interview. The interview took place over at their Joe Muggs coffee shop and was pretty laid back. I was asked about my previous job experience and was told more about the position. It wasn't a long interview and I was told that it was a two step interview process, and that I would receive a call later that day or tomorrow to set up another interview. I never received a call back and I did not get the job.

Interview Questions
    • Are you comfortable with using computers/new technology.   View Answer

Joe Muggs Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hanover, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hanover, MD

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Books-A-Million.

It was very informal, they have a list of questions that are pretty standard. It was clear that they were desperate to hire someone. I actually applied to be a bookseller but the manager (who has since been fired) persuaded me to work for the coffee shop instead. No drug test the whole time, but this was a few years ago.

Bookseller Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Books-A-Million.

I applied online after seeing a posting about a Job Fair. I went to the open interview session, where I was interviewed by the General Manager first. She asked about my previous retail experience, how I got along with my current manager and peers, and what I liked to do in my spare time. She also asked me what my favorite book was and why; then, she told me to tell me why she should buy the book. She told me they would call me to schedule a second interview later, and they did. The next time, I interviewed with one of the co-managers. Looking back, his main focus was to see how much sales experience I had and also how I would handle a difficult situation (i.e., there's a line at the register, a random customer comes up asking about a book while the phones rings in the background.)

Interview Questions
    • What would I do if there's a line at the register, and a customer comes up asking about a book while the phones rings in the background?   View Answer
    Did not negotiate.

Bookseller Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Books-A-Million in October 2014.

Short, like really short, and if you don't get the job the first time, just go in to the open interviews a second time and you'll get the job that time for sure!

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Books-A-Million in September 2014.

I was interviewed by the assistant general manager who was extremely pleasant and welcoming. She answered all my questions, spoke highly of the company and was willing to work with me on what hours I could and couldn't work. She asked me a number of questions that were appropriate to the position.

Unfortunately there was no room for pay negotiation but she did explain the opportunities available if I were to become full time.