Books-A-Million

2.0

Keyholder Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Exton, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Exton, PA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Books-A-Million.

After applying online, I received a phone call from the General Manager that included a brief discussion of the job. We set up an in-person interview, and the District Manager called and spoke to me on the phone. Within a week there was a job offer.

During the interview, we spoke about books (obviously), and outside interests. It was more like a friendly discussion than a formal interview, which honestly made more sense - one must be able to discuss books conversationally in order to do well.

Barista Interview

Had one interview. Called me later in the week and offered me the job. They just talked to me about how important it is to upsell, especially the discount card.

Interview Questions
    • they just talked to me about selling the discount card and magazines.   Answer Question

Bookseller Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Books-A-Million.

I applied online, and the next time I was in the store, I mentioned it and got to talk to the manager. A few weeks later, after following up multiple times, I found out that my application never went through so I had to reapply. After confirming that it went through, it took a long time for my background check to be done. Eventually, it arrived, and I was hired.

Interview Questions
    • Are you comfortable with selling the card and magazines?   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Books-A-Million.

I had to make a follow up call after submitting my application about a week later to get an interview. Very friendly manager interviewed me and was most impressed by my previous experience with answering phones which you may need to do on the job.

Interview Questions
    Gave them a copy of my school schedule and they worked around it without a problem.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Books-A-Million.

Simple: first interview, role playing sales situation, second interview
    You have to really work to get first interview. Even if you are a qualified candidate they may not call. You have to be aggressive and take initiative. Be prepared with your own questions and determine if you want to be managed by this person. Lot of persons on management team not experienced in interviewing or in the industry. You interview them as well.

Interview Questions

salary offer not in line with experience

Bookseller Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Books-A-Million in June 2014.

I applied online on BAM's website, where I filled out a generic application and a small personality/skills questionnaire. In about two or so days, I was called. This was a rather simple interview; nothing special stood out. Ensure you are acquainted with the merchandise, and my employer was happy I knew the details of the discount card program and had held done previously. He met me at customer service, and took my to the office in the stock room where the interview lasted only around 10 minutes. I actually didn't think I was hired, since the manager seemed so nonchalant and didn't call me back for a while. Turns out I did!

Interview Questions
    No negotiation; it's retail.

Bookseller/Barista Interview

Was not bad, I went in for 2 interviews and received the job a couple of days after the second interview. Both of the interviews went well I was told about the discount card and magazine offer. I was informed this was mandatory and I accepted.

Assistant General Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Books-A-Million.

All done over the phone, the company is out of state.

Not able to negotiate

Co-Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Books-A-Million in March 2014.

Submitted an application online, followed up via phone and went in for an interview the following week. Came in for the interview dressed and prepared for a management interview, ended up being asked no questions about myself and instead being given a sales pitch about their discount card and essentially how management doesn't care about employees, simply their ability to make the bottom line look good. Was offered a part time starting cashier job at minimum wage, with the empty promise of more opportunity as long as I made the management staff look good on paper every single day.

Interview Questions
    • I wasn't asked a single question. The entire interview was the hiring manager tell me how he judges all of his employers solely on their ability to sell discount cards and magazine subscriptions, A monkey could have sat there and been offered a job.   Answer Question

The position was not at all what I applied for, and the work environment seemed incredibly high-stress for very little benefit. I can make the same money I would have there flipping burgers, and at least I wouldn't have to worry about losing hours because my customers didn't want an expensive discount card.

Bookseller/Barista Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Books-A-Million in March 2014.

I filled out a application online and within 3 1/2 weeks heard back. I was asked to come in for an interview and the process was simple. They asked me to tell them about myself, why I wanted to work for them ect. From there I was asked to read about their discount card and magazine programs and if I would be able to produce large selling numbers for them. I was told I would hear back if they were interested. A week later I was sent an email request for a backround check which I am waiting to hear about.

Interview Questions
    • If I was unable to provide a large number of discount card sales was I ok with not getting hours.   Answer Question