Books-A-Million

Relevance Date Difficulty

Barista Interview

Barista
Gastonia, NC

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Books-A-Million.

Interview Details – I applied at the store in person, and was called in for an interview the same day, although I believe all current applications must be submitted on-line. The process consisted of one interview with the cafe manager, and a personality/skills test, which took about half an hour to complete. Basic customer service and prior experience questions. Dress professional and be prepared, and it is an easy interview process.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected, basic questions like "how would you deal with a difficult customer", and "describe good customer service".   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was hired as a barista at base pay, but was promoted to cafe manager a week later. I was able to negotiate a slightly hire than base rate of pay based on prior management experience.

Tuscaloosa, AL

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Books-A-Million in June 2012.

Interview Details – Easy interview. Very straightforward. My interview lasted about 45 minutes. It was mostly just sitting and talking. I got the job within a few days. Most questions were just about scheduling and school. Giving a sales pitch during the interview was quite difficult because I had just learned the details of what a discount card was.

Interview Question – Giving a sales pitch for the discount card was really tough   Answer Question

General Manager Interview

Sevierville, TN

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Books-A-Million in April 2012.

Interview Details – Sit in a room for 3 hours while they tell you all of the things you are allowed to do, where you will do it, and your pay.

Negotiation Details – I was offered a base salary, a training fast track and store within 90 days.

Got 85% of the salary, no training, store within 60 days, and backstabbed when it was exposed to be my DM's fault.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sales Floor Associate Interview

Pennsdale, PA

I applied online - interviewed at Books-A-Million in October 2011.

Interview Details – i actually was not interviewed. im also a former employee of borders, and they called and asked if i wanted my job back. i accepted, and it was the worst year of my life. the only thing that got me through it was the fact that we still had the managers and other employees from borders.

Negotiation Details – no negotiation, same pay as borders, about the same amount of hours.

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
Grapevine, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Books-A-Million in July 2012.

Interview Details – They never bothered to even look at my application to see that I worked at other bookstores for several years. When I mentioned I worked with books they seemed surprised. I referenced my application to show them. They did not seem to care. They just wanted to make sure that I am willing to make people sign up for different contract that automatically removes money from their cards.

Interview Question – Did not ask questions. Only wanted to know if I could legally work in the US   View Answer

Bookseller
Memphis, TN

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Books-A-Million.

Interview Details – I submitted two applications actually and got a call back a week or two after the second one. You had to do a questionnaire online that was just asking about how to handle customer situations and what kind of person you are. At the interview though I wasn't actually asked a thing other than what was already on the paper in front of the manager. It was all a rundown of their magazine and discount card sales. For the 45 minutes I was there I could have just read an e-mail of what all was expected from me. I was informed there would have to be a second interview with someone else before I could get the job but I didn't take it.

Interview Question – Do you feel confident in your ability to sell things to the public?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I'm not a sales person and I didn't apply to become one.

Co-manager of Books Interview

Co-manager of Books
Tupelo, MS

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Books-A-Million in January 2009.

Interview Details – 2 interviews. One with the GM, and a follow. I was hired from within the company.

Interview Question – Sell the discount card.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There wasn't any. They told me what I was getting paid.

Gulf Shores, AL

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Books-A-Million in March 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online for the bookseller position and received a callback within the next day or two. I was asked to come to the store for an interview. I asked for the manager and was greeted by the general manager and top assistant manager. They asked me basic questions on different topics, how my last job could be relevant to Books A Million, asked what I'm studying, etc. I was very social with them, answered all their questions and got hired on the spot

Interview Question – Was asked to sell a card on the spot in front of the managers.   View Answer

Bookseller/Barista Interview

Bookseller/Barista
Dothan, AL

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Books-A-Million in January 2010.

Interview Details – went in and spoke to a manager. did a background check and passed and begain training a few days later.

Negotiation Details – what negotiation?? i did not have a say in what i would have liked to get paid.

Bookseller/Barista Interview

Bookseller/Barista
Davenport, FL

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Books-A-Million in June 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online via the Books-a-Million website but never got a call back. Two weeks later I came into the store and asked to speak to the hiring manager and she asked if I had time now for an interview. I was taken to the back office where she asked me about my sales experience and other various questions. After this I had a brief talk with the store HR who also asked me some of the same questions. Both stressed about how 5% of sales were to be made by each employee. The Management staff was very friendly.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. The Manager explained that there are ways of making more than minimum wage selling magazine subscriptions and membership cards.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Books-A-Million