Books-A-Million Interview Questions

Updated Jun 16, 2015

2.1

Non-book Co-manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Books-A-Million.

Interview

The hiring and interview process were both quick and painless. I was excited to start this job.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to sell something to my interviewer. It prepared me for the position, but it was a first for me.   Answer Question

Bookseller Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bangor, ME

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Books-A-Million (Bangor, ME) in January 2014.

Interview

Applied online. Got an interview 2 weeks later. I was early for the interview, he was late. He called me by a different name, and seemed uninterested. He was ill prepared for the interview. Overall, this was the most rude person who has ever interviewed me, and I feel I may have been discriminated against.

Barista Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Books-A-Million (Cincinnati, OH).

Interview

Went to the interview and dressed up nicely as I always have and the interview was very unprofessional. The basically told me the pay was awful and you barely get hours. They also told me I would be working by myself in the café and even though I applied for a barista job I would have to sell a certain amount of there "discount cards" to get hours and whatnot.

Interview Questions

• Sell me one of our discount cards.   1 Answer

The job seemed way to stressful to work there. You get no hours, get paid minimum wage and even if you get hired as a barista you are forced to sell sell sell to even have a job. NOT worth it

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tallahassee, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Books-A-Million (Tallahassee, FL) in November 2013.

Interview

Met with manager and answered a few behavioral questions. Nice and Easy.

Negotiation

No negotiation

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Books-A-Million.

Interview

Had a phone interview and then was invited to a final round in the HQ.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beavercreek, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Books-A-Million (Beavercreek, OH) in October 2013.

Interview

I submitted an application package online, was contacted for an interview, then a background check was made before my being hired.

Make no mistake this is a SALES position. The whole "I love books" line won't separate you from other candidates here because everybody says that whether it is true or not. Being well read will help you but don't make the mistake of thinking the company is a commercialized version of a public library or Plato's Academy. Employees are there to sell memberships and magazine trials so you will want to know about these programs and how'd you sell them before going in for an interview. Project an image of confidence and comfort with sales while simultaneously discussing your knowledge of those two programs and you will likely get the job offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your sales experience.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation. I was offered the job immediately proceeding the interview but was told I needed a background check beforehand although no drug test. I started soon thereafter. As to compensation you are paid minimum wage plus the following commissions per sale: 75 cents per membership (DC), 50 cents per auto-renewal, 50 cents per magazine program (MFM). If you sell 30 DC and 30 MFM in a week you are rewarded with 1 1/2 times your commission. Special note, if your store does not meet sales expectations for DC/MFM then nobody receives any commission regardless of individual sales.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Valdosta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Books-A-Million (Valdosta, GA) in October 2013.

Interview

I asked in store if they were hiring several times, and was told that the store would be holding interviews soon and to apply online. I did, and was called in to participate in a group interview. A few days after the interview I was called and told I had gotten the job.

Interview Questions

• We went through a suggestive sales scenario with each interviewee pitching to the interviewer, Store Manager Beth Mitchell.   1 Answer

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Books-A-Million.

Interview

The manager was the first person I met. After greetings, she began to ask me about the online test that you have to take pre-employment. The one that asks you dumb questions like: Have you ever taken office supplies home? As if we'll never get a job again if we've taken a pencil home... lol. Next, She said: It's all about Membership cards, auto-renewals, and Magazines. You're base salary will be around Min. Wage, but you have the opportunity to augment your paycheck by commissions from your Memberships, auto-renews, and Magazines. It sounded difficult, because I had never sold something that in my opinion, people didn't want already. Therefore, the title Bookseller, is a misnomer.

Interview Questions

• Do you believe you will be able to sell Membership Cards, Auto-Renewals, and Magazines   1 Answer

Negotiation

No Negotiation on price. Typically, you will get between 7.25 and 7.50 depending on your personality.

Bookseller/Barista Interview

Interview

Filled out an application and was called in for an interview. Questions focused on customer service, how to handle difficult customers, and ability to sell the discount card. Was called about a week later with an offer. Went in the next day to fill out paperwork, etc. Started working a few days later. Very simple and painless process.

Cafe Barista/Book-seller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Books-A-Million (Nashville, TN) in August 2013.

Interview

hi can you see this pen to me and that's it. the rest is paperwork