Books-A-Million Interview Questions

Updated Jul 9, 2015

2.0

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Books-A-Million.

Interview

The manager was the first person I met. After greetings, she began to ask me about the online test that you have to take pre-employment. The one that asks you dumb questions like: Have you ever taken office supplies home? As if we'll never get a job again if we've taken a pencil home... lol. Next, She said: It's all about Membership cards, auto-renewals, and Magazines. You're base salary will be around Min. Wage, but you have the opportunity to augment your paycheck by commissions from your Memberships, auto-renews, and Magazines. It sounded difficult, because I had never sold something that in my opinion, people didn't want already. Therefore, the title Bookseller, is a misnomer.

Interview Questions

• Do you believe you will be able to sell Membership Cards, Auto-Renewals, and Magazines   1 Answer

Negotiation

No Negotiation on price. Typically, you will get between 7.25 and 7.50 depending on your personality.

Bookseller/Barista Interview

Interview

Filled out an application and was called in for an interview. Questions focused on customer service, how to handle difficult customers, and ability to sell the discount card. Was called about a week later with an offer. Went in the next day to fill out paperwork, etc. Started working a few days later. Very simple and painless process.

Cafe Barista/Book-seller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Books-A-Million (Nashville, TN) in August 2013.

Interview

hi can you see this pen to me and that's it. the rest is paperwork

Bookseller/Barista Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Books-A-Million in July 2013.

Interview

Well I was out of a job and I did my normal calling to see if anyone was hiring, I talked to the manager and she said they were doing interviews, so I filled out the application and called her back when I was done. She then schedule me to come in for a interview, the interview was very short and sweet. Got another call a couple days later with a job offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kissimmee, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Books-A-Million (Kissimmee, FL) in July 2013.

Interview

Called almost a month after my application, had a brief ten minute phone interview in which the manager seemed very excited to have me come in and do another interview.

Interview Questions

• Unexpected was how aggressively they want you to sell their membership cards. They asked me to give an example of how I would sell the card with no prior knowledge. Then I was shown how they sell the cards and their pitch made me feel very uncomfortable   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was told I would be 30-40 hours a week and get commision up to $15 an hour after intense training (which I never recieved)

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Books-A-Million.

Interview

I was interviewed by the manager of the store. She was very friendly. The questions were very straightforward, regarding my availability, past experiences, etc. Unfortunately, I was asked to sell a rubberband to her. I get very anxious and stumbled over my words, but I made it creative and I think she appreciated that. She very heavily pushed the fact that we have to sell, sell, sell the cards. I wasn't really into that.

Interview Questions

I didn't feel like the position was the right fit for me. I'm not a pushy salesperson by nature.

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Books-A-Million in June 2013.

Interview

This interview was a total mess. I was not informed that it was to be a group interview. The store manager was in the back with her keyholder and her daughter (age 7.) They talked and joked about the little girl's employment and current employees while we (the interviewees) were filling out questionnaires. Both were exceptionally unprofessional. We were then encouraged to go find a product from the store and sell it to them, learn about another person in the group interview and sell that person to them, and pick general HR questions out of a hat to answer. Now, I appreciate the selling tactic as a tool to figure out if we should be in retail, but I dislike that selling the stupid discount card and magazine subscriptions are so deeply apart of this position that it seems to be the only skill they are hiring for. Knowledge or experience seemed a distant second. Also, all this for a minimum wage mall job. Ugh.

Interview Questions

• Go find something in the store to sell to me/talk to your competition and then explain to me why I should hire them.   Answer Question

I got an offer for a second interview. I had accepted another position but would not have gone back. The location was too far away for making min wage and seemed like a lot of stress (for such a bad position.)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orange Park, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Books-A-Million (Orange Park, FL) in June 2013.

Interview

BAM called me within two days of applying online. I had group interview with another person and two managers. They asked me generic sales person questions, and also asked me to "sell" them a piece of merchandise (a pen) They called next day and hired me.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Nothing, just hired on minimum wage

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Books-A-Million in June 2013.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted via phone the next day. We set up a time, and I went to the store for an interview. I was only interviewed by one person. As many other reviewers have said, they are really into hiring salespeople. Selling cards and subscriptions was emphasized more than anything else in the interview. I was really turned off, especially because I wasn't asked one question about what I like to read or what I was currently reading, etc. Books are so important to me. It seemed like they are less important at BAM; after all, they sell a ton of things besides books. This place isn't for everyone. The positive thing I can say about it, though, is that they are up front about what is expected from you. You can decide for yourself if you're comfortable with it or not.

Interview Questions

• There wasn't anything too difficult. One question I remember is: "What do you think a typical day working here would be like?"   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Daytona Beach, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Books-A-Million (Daytona Beach, FL) in March 2013.

Interview

I called them first after I completed the application online. Then they called me a few days later for an interview. I was then interviewed by two managers and one of them was an assitance manager. They were telling me if I was able to promote selling books A Million cards to customers.

Interview Questions

• Noting too difficult, I answered the questions the best I could and they mostly were Why do you want to work here? I answered and told them that I have an interest in the job and the books as well but mostly the customers. Other things I told them where my experiences and how it can be useful for this position. They didn't call me after the interview and I didn't get the job even though I would like to work there.   Answer Question