Books-A-Million

2.0

Barista Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gastonia, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gastonia, NC

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Books-A-Million.

I applied at the store in person, and was called in for an interview the same day, although I believe all current applications must be submitted on-line. The process consisted of one interview with the cafe manager, and a personality/skills test, which took about half an hour to complete. Basic customer service and prior experience questions. Dress professional and be prepared, and it is an easy interview process.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected, basic questions like "how would you deal with a difficult customer", and "describe good customer service".   Answer Question
    I was hired as a barista at base pay, but was promoted to cafe manager a week later. I was able to negotiate a slightly hire than base rate of pay based on prior management experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Harrisburg, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Harrisburg, PA

I applied through other source. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Books-A-Million in September 2012.

I had been told by a then current employee about possible positions. Completed online application, went and had a face to face interview and was called back about 1 week later. They were not very organized nor professional but figured it was because it was only a minimum wage part time position.

Interview Questions
    • None. Only asked run of the mill standard interview questions.   View Answer
    None, it was only a minimum wage part time position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Books-A-Million.

I submitted two applications actually and got a call back a week or two after the second one. You had to do a questionnaire online that was just asking about how to handle customer situations and what kind of person you are. At the interview though I wasn't actually asked a thing other than what was already on the paper in front of the manager. It was all a rundown of their magazine and discount card sales. For the 45 minutes I was there I could have just read an e-mail of what all was expected from me. I was informed there would have to be a second interview with someone else before I could get the job but I didn't take it.

Interview Questions
    • Do you feel confident in your ability to sell things to the public?   Answer Question

I'm not a sales person and I didn't apply to become one.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grapevine, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grapevine, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Books-A-Million in July 2012.

They never bothered to even look at my application to see that I worked at other bookstores for several years. When I mentioned I worked with books they seemed surprised. I referenced my application to show them. They did not seem to care. They just wanted to make sure that I am willing to make people sign up for different contract that automatically removes money from their cards.

Interview Questions
    • Did not ask questions. Only wanted to know if I could legally work in the US   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tuscaloosa, AL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tuscaloosa, AL

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Books-A-Million in June 2012.

Easy interview. Very straightforward. My interview lasted about 45 minutes. It was mostly just sitting and talking. I got the job within a few days. Most questions were just about scheduling and school. Giving a sales pitch during the interview was quite difficult because I had just learned the details of what a discount card was.

Interview Questions
    • Giving a sales pitch for the discount card was really tough   Answer Question

Bookseller/Barista Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Davenport, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Davenport, FL

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Books-A-Million in June 2012.

I applied online via the Books-a-Million website but never got a call back. Two weeks later I came into the store and asked to speak to the hiring manager and she asked if I had time now for an interview. I was taken to the back office where she asked me about my sales experience and other various questions. After this I had a brief talk with the store HR who also asked me some of the same questions. Both stressed about how 5% of sales were to be made by each employee. The Management staff was very friendly.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. The Manager explained that there are ways of making more than minimum wage selling magazine subscriptions and membership cards.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jackson, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jackson, TN

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Books-A-Million in June 2012.

Filled out an online application. Took an aptitude test (basic math and rhetoric). Came for an open interview the next Monday. I wore a button down shirt and some khakis. Got a call back that Tuesday. I went through two interviews.

Interview Questions
    They do not negotiate. The offer is you start at minimum wage as a sales associate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gulf Shores, AL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gulf Shores, AL

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Books-A-Million in June 2012.

Applied on line, not expecting anything. I was contacted a few days later asking me to come in for an interview. The person interviewing me seemed a bit surprised I was there. I had to wait in a comfy chair for her to finish up what she was doing. The interview itself was relaxed, basic questions. I was told if hired I would be working all over the store in various capacities. I was more nervous than enthusiastic, which was not in my favor. I don't have retail experience.

Interview Questions
    • I don't remember specifics. It was a pretty boilerplate interview.   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Books-A-Million in June 2012.

I went in on a Sunday just looking around. I was speaking with an employee she told me they were having open interviews the next day. I applied that night and went in the next day for a group interview. We were told we would be called if they were interested by thursday. I called on friday. I got another intweview the next week. Went in and spoke with a different manager. I was hired that day.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McDonough, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in McDonough, GA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Books-A-Million in May 2012.

Went to Book a Million had 3 managers very casual end up being more of a conversation then an interview.