Books-A-Million Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated Jun 10, 2015

2.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charleston, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Books-A-Million (Charleston, SC).

Interview

It was very informal, lasting maybe ten minutes with the AGM and another 3-5 with the GM. They asked why I was interested, whether I had worked in retail before, and what value I would bring to the team - pretty generic stuff. It was not the kind of interview that required any strenuous prep work.

Interview Questions

• They did ask how much I expected to earn.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Books-A-Million

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Southaven, MS

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Books-A-Million (Southaven, MS) in January 2015.

Interview

I applied online. Filled out a survey. Went to the store. Talked to the gm and agm. Both clearly liked me. They always said they were going to call me back. Once they said three days. I waited till the fourth to call them. Then they said another week. A week later, no call. I then called again, they asked for my phone number...again. They said they were going to run a background check. A week later I got the job.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?   1 Answer
    • When are you available?   1 Answer
    • What are your interests?   Answer Question
    • What would you do if we were really slow and you had to sell 10 discount cards?   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Books-A-Million in September 2014.

Interview

I was interviewed by the assistant general manager who was extremely pleasant and welcoming. She answered all my questions, spoke highly of the company and was willing to work with me on what hours I could and couldn't work. She asked me a number of questions that were appropriate to the position.

Negotiation

Unfortunately there was no room for pay negotiation but she did explain the opportunities available if I were to become full time.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Books-A-Million in August 2014.

Interview

The interview process was a very pleasant experience. It was an open interview, and there were 12 of us present. The atmosphere was very laid-back and non threatening. Everyone was super nice, and I was not even nervous.

Interview Questions

• Because there were 12 of us at the interview, the last thing they asked us to tell them: If you had to work with two other people here at the interview, which two would you pick? It was hard because every person who was there for the interview was awesome. I would have loved to work with every one of them.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Books-A-Million.

Interview

Simple: first interview, role playing sales situation, second interview You have to really work to get first interview. Even if you are a qualified candidate they may not call. You have to be aggressive and take initiative. Be prepared with your own questions and determine if you want to be managed by this person. Lot of persons on management team not experienced in interviewing or in the industry. You interview them as well.

Interview Questions

salary offer not in line with experience

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Valdosta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Books-A-Million (Valdosta, GA) in October 2013.

Interview

I asked in store if they were hiring several times, and was told that the store would be holding interviews soon and to apply online. I did, and was called in to participate in a group interview. A few days after the interview I was called and told I had gotten the job.

Interview Questions

• We went through a suggestive sales scenario with each interviewee pitching to the interviewer, Store Manager Beth Mitchell.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beavercreek, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Books-A-Million (Beavercreek, OH) in October 2013.

Interview

I submitted an application package online, was contacted for an interview, then a background check was made before my being hired. Make no mistake this is a SALES position. The whole "I love books" line won't separate you from other candidates here because everybody says that whether it is true or not. Being well read will help you but don't make the mistake of thinking the company is a commercialized version of a public library or Plato's Academy. Employees are there to sell memberships and magazine trials so you will want to know about these programs and how'd you sell them before going in for an interview. Project an image of confidence and comfort with sales while simultaneously discussing your knowledge of those two programs and you will likely get the job offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your sales experience.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation. I was offered the job immediately proceeding the interview but was told I needed a background check beforehand although no drug test. I started soon thereafter. As to compensation you are paid minimum wage plus the following commissions per sale: 75 cents per membership (DC), 50 cents per auto-renewal, 50 cents per magazine program (MFM). If you sell 30 DC and 30 MFM in a week you are rewarded with 1 1/2 times your commission. Special note, if your store does not meet sales expectations for DC/MFM then nobody receives any commission regardless of individual sales.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Books-A-Million in June 2013.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted via phone the next day. We set up a time, and I went to the store for an interview. I was only interviewed by one person. As many other reviewers have said, they are really into hiring salespeople. Selling cards and subscriptions was emphasized more than anything else in the interview. I was really turned off, especially because I wasn't asked one question about what I like to read or what I was currently reading, etc. Books are so important to me. It seemed like they are less important at BAM; after all, they sell a ton of things besides books. This place isn't for everyone. The positive thing I can say about it, though, is that they are up front about what is expected from you. You can decide for yourself if you're comfortable with it or not.

Interview Questions

• There wasn't anything too difficult. One question I remember is: "What do you think a typical day working here would be like?"   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gulf Shores, AL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Books-A-Million (Gulf Shores, AL) in December 2012.

Interview

Put in an app online. Called to check on it and convinced the manager to give me an interview. Interview was basic questions. I was called 2 days later and hired. Never filled out any tax paperwork or employee paperwork until 2 months after working there.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

there was none they offered 7.25 and hour..no higher no advancement oppurtunity

Anonymous Employee in Mobile, AL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Books-A-Million (Mobile, AL) in December 2012.

Interview

you place your application online at careers.booksamillion.com open interviews usually held on a Monday afternoon. please contact store for details some stores may accept tattoos that do not show or ears that are gauged (stretched), but it is best to go the safe route and cover up. dress professionally, and please look well-kept. if you have gauges 1/2" or smaller, i recommend sizing down, or wearing caps. tunnels are possible turn-offs for interviewers. it helps to dress and match as well. not in parts, all over. cool colors like grey or navy. button down shirts are a plus, but you can always get a polo and some khakis with penny loafers.

Interview Questions

• what do you like about this place?   1 Answer