Books-A-Million Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated Jun 26, 2014

2.1

16 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Books-A-Million.

Simple: first interview, role playing sales situation, second interview
You have to really work to get first interview. Even if you are a qualified candidate they may not call. You have to be aggressive and take initiative. Be prepared with your own questions and determine if you want to be managed by this person. Lot of persons on management team not experienced in interviewing or in the industry. You interview them as well.

Interview Questions

salary offer not in line with experience

Other Interview Reviews for Books-A-Million

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beavercreek, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beavercreek, OH

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Books-A-Million in October 2013.

I submitted an application package online, was contacted for an interview, then a background check was made before my being hired.

Make no mistake this is a SALES position. The whole "I love books" line won't separate you from other candidates here because everybody says that whether it is true or not. Being well read will help you but don't make the mistake of thinking the company is a commercialized version of a public library or Plato's Academy. Employees are there to sell memberships and magazine trials so you will want to know about these programs and how'd you sell them before going in for an interview. Project an image of confidence and comfort with sales while simultaneously discussing your knowledge of those two programs and you will likely get the job offer.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. I was offered the job immediately proceeding the interview but was told I needed a background check beforehand although no drug test. I started soon thereafter. As to compensation you are paid minimum wage plus the following commissions per sale: 75 cents per membership (DC), 50 cents per auto-renewal, 50 cents per magazine program (MFM). If you sell 30 DC and 30 MFM in a week you are rewarded with 1 1/2 times your commission. Special note, if your store does not meet sales expectations for DC/MFM then nobody receives any commission regardless of individual sales.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Books-A-Million in June 2013.

I applied online and was contacted via phone the next day. We set up a time, and I went to the store for an interview. I was only interviewed by one person. As many other reviewers have said, they are really into hiring salespeople. Selling cards and subscriptions was emphasized more than anything else in the interview. I was really turned off, especially because I wasn't asked one question about what I like to read or what I was currently reading, etc. Books are so important to me. It seemed like they are less important at BAM; after all, they sell a ton of things besides books. This place isn't for everyone. The positive thing I can say about it, though, is that they are up front about what is expected from you. You can decide for yourself if you're comfortable with it or not.

Interview Questions
    • There wasn't anything too difficult. One question I remember is: "What do you think a typical day working here would be like?"   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mobile, AL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mobile, AL

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Books-A-Million in December 2012.

you place your application online at careers.booksamillion.com
    open interviews usually held on a Monday afternoon. please contact store for details

some stores may accept tattoos that do not show or ears that are gauged (stretched), but it is best to go the safe route and cover up. dress professionally, and please look well-kept. if you have gauges 1/2" or smaller, i recommend sizing down, or wearing caps. tunnels are possible turn-offs for interviewers. it helps to dress and match as well. not in parts, all over. cool colors like grey or navy. button down shirts are a plus, but you can always get a polo and some khakis with penny loafers.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gulf Shores, AL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gulf Shores, AL

Put in an app online. Called to check on it and convinced the manager to give me an interview. Interview was basic questions. I was called 2 days later and hired. Never filled out any tax paperwork or employee paperwork until 2 months after working there.

there was none they offered 7.25 and hour..no higher no advancement oppurtunity

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Harrisburg, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Harrisburg, PA

I applied through other source. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Books-A-Million in September 2012.

I had been told by a then current employee about possible positions. Completed online application, went and had a face to face interview and was called back about 1 week later. They were not very organized nor professional but figured it was because it was only a minimum wage part time position.

Interview Questions
    • None. Only asked run of the mill standard interview questions.   View Answer
    None, it was only a minimum wage part time position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grapevine, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grapevine, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Books-A-Million in July 2012.

They never bothered to even look at my application to see that I worked at other bookstores for several years. When I mentioned I worked with books they seemed surprised. I referenced my application to show them. They did not seem to care. They just wanted to make sure that I am willing to make people sign up for different contract that automatically removes money from their cards.

Interview Questions
    • Did not ask questions. Only wanted to know if I could legally work in the US   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jackson, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jackson, TN

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Books-A-Million in June 2012.

Filled out an online application. Took an aptitude test (basic math and rhetoric). Came for an open interview the next Monday. I wore a button down shirt and some khakis. Got a call back that Tuesday. I went through two interviews.

Interview Questions
    They do not negotiate. The offer is you start at minimum wage as a sales associate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houma, LA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houma, LA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Books-A-Million in August 2011.

The manager was really rude. I would not recommend working at Books-a-Million

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kokomo, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kokomo, IN

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Books-A-Million in February 2011.

I applied online and went into the store a couple days later to check on my application. they told me that they were pulling some apps and that mine looked good. i got a call a couple days later to have an interview. the interview was in the cafe' and it was with two of the managers. i was asked very easy questions such as: favorite band, favorite book, why books-a-million? i haven't heard back from them yet, it was about a week ago.