Boom Marketing

10 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Marketing Manager Interview

Marketing Manager

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Boom Marketing in February 2014.

Interview Details – three step interview. had to write an essay.

Interview Question – write an essay about why I stand out from the rest of the candidates.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – opportunity cost was too great.

Entry Level Marketing Representative/Team Manager/Marketing Manager Interview

Entry Level Marketing Representative/Team Manager/Marketing Manager
San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Boom Marketing in August 2013.

Interview Details – A little vague at first. The posting was really broad but I was applying everywhere so I went just to see. It was 3 parts. First, I was in the office for 20 mins which was extremely brief and slightly informative but I still didn't have a great idea of what I would be doing, I just felt like I knew a little more about the company. There wasn't anything I didn't like so I went to a 45 minute interview on site at one of their promotional events which obviously gave me a complete picture of my initial daily objectives but the interviewer also took an extra 20 minutes to break down other positions in the company and answer the rest of my questions. 3rd interview was back at the office and I got to ask more questions and get to know the hiring manager a little better than the 10 minutes we had initially which was nice. I felt confident I would be a good fit after meeting a few of the faces I would be seeing everyday so I accepted and have been on a pretty steady growth cycle with responsibilities and pay for the last 6 months as promised.

Interview Question – Asked business minded questions like why would I make one choice in venues over the other, etc. Really got me thinking on my feet more than other standard interviews.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – there was a decent ability to qualify for promotions within the first year so negotiation was easy. Even though starting pay was a little lower than I was used to, it sounded like the training they provided would have me getting raises quickly.

"marketing Manager" (Cold Sales) Interview

"marketing Manager" (Cold Sales)

Interviewed at Boom Marketing

Interview Details – Boom listed a dozen vague ads on craigslist. Boom refused to answer questions about the job, demanding that I come in.

Interview Question – There were no difficult questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Minimum wage.

Very Easy Interview

Manager In Training Interview

Manager In Training

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Boom Marketing in August 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online and they emailed and called me the next day. I thought they were a regular business with a full office but when I went to the interview it was just 1 woman in a 1 person office. It was just a tiny room rented out in a building full of these tiny "offices" occupied by all different people/businesses. I was shocked and wondered where I would be working? I thought it was very strange. This was only the initial interview so she asked basic questions and did not give me a chance to ask any of my own questions. After getting a call back for the second interview I realized what this company was. I applied for a manger, public relations, and marketing positions they posted about and once I got the chance to ask questions I realized this was a glorified pyramid scheme. I was not going to be doing any of the things they mentioned in their job post. They wanted me to solicit people in parking lots of big chain stores and sell them the products of the Boom Marketing clients. Completely misleading so I didn't go to the 2nd interview.

Interview Question – If you could have any career and money or any other variables were no issue, what would it be?   Answer Question

Event Planning Position Interview

Event Planning Position
San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Boom Marketing in September 2012.

Interview Details – I applied through a craigslist ad. Received an email and was suppose to come in for a one on one interview but the manager was out of town so it turned into a phone interview. Honestly it was not even really an interview, she called me and explained a bit about the company and what the position was. It was still very vague and left me with a bunch of questions. Basic questions about why I am interested in the position, a little bit about myself and etc. Was offered a second interview and that interview was so I can see what they do on a day to day basis. It was at a Costco. I met the person who was going to conduct my interview and she asked me to stand by their sample table and watch what she did for about 10mins. After that went back outside and answered some questions about what I learned and observed. Then she went on to discuss what direct marketing was and explained their business model.

After that I went home and emailed her my answer to two of her questions, similar to what someone had posted below. Was offered a third interview to come in and basically answer the questions of what I learned from observing the day before.

In the end I wasn't offer a position but I was fine with it. The position had nothing to do with event planning and I was basically giving samples away at Costco masked as direct marketing. You get paid $8 an hour and also commission and from what the interviewer said you start at 7am and end like 6pm or later. Don't waste your time with this "company". They are obviously preying on recent grads desperate for a job. They try to mask it as you will learn a lot and grow quickly within the company that you can start your own branch.

Interview Question – What is direct marketing.
What do you think you can contribute to the company.
What do you like about the business model/company.
  Answer Question

Marketing Assistant Interview

Marketing Assistant

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Boom Marketing in September 2013.

Interview Details – The interviews where conducted in a very professional manner. My issue was that the job description was very vague and misleading and salary and compensation were never discussed.

Interview Question – Describe the difference between marketing and sales.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Please see the above description of the interview process.

Very Easy Interview

Event Planner Interview

Event Planner
San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Boom Marketing.

Interview Details – I responded to a job post about an event planner position at Boom Marketing. After doing some online research I was very weary about the company. I heard a lot of things that lead me to believing this was one of those scam positions that prey on recent graduates.

I was called in for the initial interview and things seemed good, although I was not able to ask any questions. A few hours after the initial interview I received a call back for a second interview. The second interview was at one of their road shows and that's when I saw evening red flags. They call themselves promotors but, lets be honest, they're sales people. Everyone starts at the very bottom as a "promotor" and gets paid $8/hour + commission. They're claiming that within 1 year you will be making $90K/year. And within less than 2 years you will be able to go off and own your own business.

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. After my second interview I was told to answer 2 questions in an email. After answering the questions, I would receive a call to let me know if I made it to the final interview.

Needless to say, I left the second interview and informed the company I was not interested.

Interview Question – All of the questions seemed to be normal interview questions. They did ask some questions with weird wording but the girl who interviewed me had only worked for them since April and didn't seem very experienced.   Answer Question

Manager Training Program Interview

Manager Training Program
San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Boom Marketing.

Interview Details – I received an initial phone call that was your typical phone screen. The first face to face interview was super quick (roughly 10 minutes) and left me with a lot of questions. The 2nd interview was at an event that was actually up and going, and I got to see that, hear about the company, the position, and ask all of my questions. The 3rd interview was back at the office, and that was my final interview. It covered my understanding of the company, some questions about myself, and ended with a 24 hour period to consider the job offer.

Interview Question – After the 2nd interview they asked me to email them back later that day with some answers to their questions. It gave me time to think about it, but it was a new twist to the standard interview process. They wanted to know what 3 things I could bring to their office that would make me stand out, as well as 3 things that motivated me about the opportunity they presented during the 2nd interview.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Straight forward. You either get hourly, or you earn a commission; whichever is higher.

Entry Level Marketing Assistant Interview

Entry Level Marketing Assistant
San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Boom Marketing in October 2010.

Interview Details – Hiring and interview was process was a bit lengthy. It seemed like I spoke with 2-3 different people before I ever saw someone face to face but I felt like at lease they were taking this process as seriously as I was.

Interview Question – Dream Job: they are looking for specifics.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate scheduling and the pay structure seemed at a steady incline with performance incentives so I accepted on those conditions.

Entry Level Event Coordinator Interview

Entry Level Event Coordinator

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Boom Marketing.

Interview Details – I applied for the position online because I was looking for an event coordinator/planner position but when I went through the interview process I found out that it was not exactly that. The website also was also not very clear and helpful. It just mentions a lot about direct marketing. It was a three step interview process.

The first interview was suppose to be an in person interview but ended up being a phone interview with the manager and she mostly talked about the company and what they did. It was actually pretty hard to hear her. I was then invited for a second interview at one of the places where they do their "shows". I was to meet one of the team leaders who frequently trained new employees and watched what I will be doing once I get hired. I met with the team leader and stood there watching her do her thing for about 15 mins and then we walked outside to talk about what I saw and proceeded with the interview. After speaking with her I was asked to email her my answer for two questions and if they liked my answer they will proceed to invite me back for a third interview. The third interview was with another manager and just went over this piece of paper I filled out in the lobby. Overall, all three interviews was mostly them explaining the job and they barely asked me any questions. Mostly just questions about whether or not I will be comfortable or can see myself being successful at the position. They also explained how this job allows you to move quickly through the ladder so you too can eventually be your own manager and start your own Boom Marketing after 1 year. After my third interview they never called me back to let me know If i got the job or not. It has been over 3 weeks and I haven't anything so I knew after like the third day that I didn't get it but I didn't really want it because I was skeptical of a job where the interviewer asked me very few questions about my qualifications and talked more about the job itself. Also because the job was described under so many different job descriptions but it was no where close to those jobs. Basically everyone starts off giving samples to customers then move up to be a manager after a couple months.

Interview Question – What are the 5 steps to starting a conversation?   Answer Question

Worked for Boom Marketing? Contribute to the Community!