Boom Marketing

2.6

5 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Event Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Boom Marketing.

I responded to a job post about an event planner position at Boom Marketing. After doing some online research I was very weary about the company. I heard a lot of things that lead me to believing this was one of those scam positions that prey on recent graduates.

I was called in for the initial interview and things seemed good, although I was not able to ask any questions. A few hours after the initial interview I received a call back for a second interview. The second interview was at one of their road shows and that's when I saw evening red flags. They call themselves promotors but, lets be honest, they're sales people. Everyone starts at the very bottom as a "promotor" and gets paid $8/hour + commission. They're claiming that within 1 year you will be making $90K/year. And within less than 2 years you will be able to go off and own your own business.

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. After my second interview I was told to answer 2 questions in an email. After answering the questions, I would receive a call to let me know if I made it to the final interview.

Needless to say, I left the second interview and informed the company I was not interested.

Interview Questions
    • All of the questions seemed to be normal interview questions. They did ask some questions with weird wording but the girl who interviewed me had only worked for them since April and didn't seem very experienced.   Answer Question

Entry Level Marketing Representative/Team Manager/Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Boom Marketing in August 2013.

A little vague at first. The posting was really broad but I was applying everywhere so I went just to see. It was 3 parts. First, I was in the office for 20 mins which was extremely brief and slightly informative but I still didn't have a great idea of what I would be doing, I just felt like I knew a little more about the company. There wasn't anything I didn't like so I went to a 45 minute interview on site at one of their promotional events which obviously gave me a complete picture of my initial daily objectives but the interviewer also took an extra 20 minutes to break down other positions in the company and answer the rest of my questions. 3rd interview was back at the office and I got to ask more questions and get to know the hiring manager a little better than the 10 minutes we had initially which was nice. I felt confident I would be a good fit after meeting a few of the faces I would be seeing everyday so I accepted and have been on a pretty steady growth cycle with responsibilities and pay for the last 6 months as promised.

Interview Questions
    • Asked business minded questions like why would I make one choice in venues over the other, etc. Really got me thinking on my feet more than other standard interviews.   Answer Question
    there was a decent ability to qualify for promotions within the first year so negotiation was easy. Even though starting pay was a little lower than I was used to, it sounded like the training they provided would have me getting raises quickly.

Manager Training Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Boom Marketing.

I received an initial phone call that was your typical phone screen. The first face to face interview was super quick (roughly 10 minutes) and left me with a lot of questions. The 2nd interview was at an event that was actually up and going, and I got to see that, hear about the company, the position, and ask all of my questions. The 3rd interview was back at the office, and that was my final interview. It covered my understanding of the company, some questions about myself, and ended with a 24 hour period to consider the job offer.

Interview Questions
    • After the 2nd interview they asked me to email them back later that day with some answers to their questions. It gave me time to think about it, but it was a new twist to the standard interview process. They wanted to know what 3 things I could bring to their office that would make me stand out, as well as 3 things that motivated me about the opportunity they presented during the 2nd interview.   View Answer
    Straight forward. You either get hourly, or you earn a commission; whichever is higher.

Event Planning Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Boom Marketing in September 2012.

I applied through a craigslist ad. Received an email and was suppose to come in for a one on one interview but the manager was out of town so it turned into a phone interview. Honestly it was not even really an interview, she called me and explained a bit about the company and what the position was. It was still very vague and left me with a bunch of questions. Basic questions about why I am interested in the position, a little bit about myself and etc. Was offered a second interview and that interview was so I can see what they do on a day to day basis. It was at a Costco. I met the person who was going to conduct my interview and she asked me to stand by their sample table and watch what she did for about 10mins. After that went back outside and answered some questions about what I learned and observed. Then she went on to discuss what direct marketing was and explained their business model.

After that I went home and emailed her my answer to two of her questions, similar to what someone had posted below. Was offered a third interview to come in and basically answer the questions of what I learned from observing the day before.

In the end I wasn't offer a position but I was fine with it. The position had nothing to do with event planning and I was basically giving samples away at Costco masked as direct marketing. You get paid $8 an hour and also commission and from what the interviewer said you start at 7am and end like 6pm or later. Don't waste your time with this "company". They are obviously preying on recent grads desperate for a job. They try to mask it as you will learn a lot and grow quickly within the company that you can start your own branch.

Interview Questions
    • What is direct marketing.
      What do you think you can contribute to the company.
      What do you like about the business model/company.
        Answer Question

Entry Level Marketing Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Boom Marketing in October 2010.

Hiring and interview was process was a bit lengthy. It seemed like I spoke with 2-3 different people before I ever saw someone face to face but I felt like at lease they were taking this process as seriously as I was.

Interview Questions
    • Dream Job: they are looking for specifics.   View Answer
    I was able to negotiate scheduling and the pay structure seemed at a steady incline with performance incentives so I accepted on those conditions.