Booz Allen Hamilton

10 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Difficult Interview

Arlington, VA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton in June 2014.

Interview Details – Interviewed for an Arlington consultant position and the entire process was very thorough. I had a phone interview with an recruiter that was just going over my resume. Then I filled out an application and had back to back phone interviews with different people in different departments. These two ask some harder questions like "why Booze Allen" or "what is your process if you wanted to pick out a new dishwasher for me, but there was no internet". Nothing too hard though. That was followed by an informal phone interview to see how i thought the interviews went and my availability for an in person interview. My in person interview was on an entirely different level though. I met with two people from my potential department. The first question was "walk me through the entire software lifecycle with detailed steps on how you would handle each step." After that fun little curveball, the other guy started hammering me. It started where I had to pretend he was the traffic controller and convince him to change the traffic light timings. I had to convince him that it is worth the cost, time, and risk to do. Finally, I had to consult him on a job board website and he played the worst client ever. I had to try to get requirements out of him while explaining the difference in things I had no clue about. He then ended this fun time with "why booze allen." I told him about how the company is 100 years old, based on a strict moral code, and always delivering award winning work. His response that left me frozen was "yeah, but Delloite has those things too, what makes booze allen different." At the end, He said that I am most likely getting an offer, so that helped me feel better.

Interview Question – What makes Booze Allen different from Delloite   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Associate
Arlington, VA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton in October 2010.

Interview Details – Applied through the career site and received a phone call from a recruiter ~ 1 month later for a fit interview. After the initial screen, I was contacted by two associates who asked about my technical experience. I was invited for an on-site interview that consisted of a series of 2 vs 1 interviews with staff and management. At the end of the half-day, I was asked to give a seminar on my work followed by a Q&A from people in the group I was interviewing to join.

Interview Question – How is this job going to help you get your next job?   Answer Question

Associate/Senior Systems Engineering Manager Interview

Associate/Senior Systems Engineering Manager
Arlington, VA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton in February 2010.

Interview Details – Phone interview, face-t0-face interview followed by lunch with the hiring manager, then dinner. Hired in 5 days.

Interview Question – Please explain the Earned Value Management system and processes.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very short. They offered $3,000 more than my previous job.

Senior Consultant Interview

Senior Consultant
Arlington, VA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton in January 2009.

Interview Details – Review is for Consultant (I am now a Sr. Consultant). My friend, a Booz Allen employee, forwarded my resume to the team and I received a phone call to set up the interview. Had a "round robin" interview with about 4-5 people from the team - a healthy mix of mid-level and upper level staff, all friendly. Each interview took about half an hour so it was quite exhausting by the end from the nerves and questioning and whatnot. Was offered a water/restroom break. Received an offer call about 2 days later.

Interview Question – It may have been because I was interviewing for a smaller office/entry-level position, but the questions were not too challenging. I was just asked about my background, skills, strengths, and other various generic questions. They did not ask too much about specific laws and policies associated with the position, but it was helpful to demonstrate that my internship fit in with their expertise (so internships do help!). One senior level person asked what my dream job would be, to which I honestly answered a "National Geographic photographer." He chuckled.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Received a phone call from the recruiter/recruiting team. No negotiation involved

Arlington, VA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton in December 2010.

Interview Details – Interviewed with multiple members of the team with the job opening including the Project Manager and Program Manager, a Senior Associate, and a peer. The interview lasted approximately two hours. The interview consisted of one on one meetings as well as multiple interviewers. They presented a timed exercise related to the job opening, but it was not a "make or break" exercise, rather a gauge of aptitude for the position.

Interview Question – How did you hear about the position? They wanted to know whether I found the position and applied or if a recruiter contacted me.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Non-negotiable.

Arlington, VA

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton in February 2009.

Interview Details – The interview was conducted in a round-robin format. I actually interviewed for the position that I had applied for, along with four other positions. It was a bit odd to me at first, but I ended up taking a position that better suited what I wanted to do than the one that I applied for.

Interview Questions

• Give me a list of three skills that you use in your current job that you would apply to this job.   View Answer
  • What are your key weaknesses?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – HR within Booz Allen is a nightmare. They cannot be trusted. No matter what they offer, they will low-ball you. Always counter-offer. They make excuses and hem and haw like it's their money, but you hold out for what you think is fair.

Very Easy Interview

Associate Interview

Associate
Arlington, VA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton in October 2010.

Interview Details – As has been noted elsewhere on this site, the BAH hiring process is quite streamlined. About a week after I posted my resume on their website, I had a phone screen with an HR subcontractor. That subcontractor scheduled me for what he referred to as a "technical event," at which there was good food and an info session followed by the group interview, where perhaps a dozen applicants who sat at tables while various project managers rotated through and asked questions. The HR subcontractor also mentioned as a possible second, separate interview. A couple of the interviewers had already looked at my resume and made notes, while the other two or three were clearly seeing it for the first time. Despite the event's name, none of the questions asked were technical in nature. I think the interviewers were evaluating more of professional bearing and whether I could impress a client with my presentation and credentials. After the first event, my second event was cancelled -- one of the teams from the first event was interested, and BAH does not want to compete with itself for a hire. I got an offer (this time from a BAH employee) about a week later, and there was a bit of online paperwork involved. I thought the initial offer was slightly below market -- not as low as others have noted elsewhere on this site -- and I explained what I thought was a reasonable range, ~5-10% above their initial offer. I also asked to talk to the hiring manager so I could be sure that the project was a good fit for me, a conversation the HR rep quickly arranged. Afterwards BAH came back with a number in the middle of the range I gave them. Although I ultimately declined the offer, I had a positive experience with the hiring and interview process.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult. General questions on experience ("describe a situation in which you did X") and reason for interest in the company, etc.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Although my experience with BAH was very positive, I received another offer that was a shorter commute and more closely aligned to my interests (albeit at a slightly lower salary).

BAH's HR rep was very gracious when I declined, and I would certainly reconnect if my situation ever changed.

Information Security Engineer Interview

Information Security Engineer
Arlington, VA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton in August 2010.

Interview Details – I met with a manager to discuss possible opportunities within the orginization. We discussed my career goals and how the company could help with them and how I could help the company attract new business.

Interview Question – Why have you only been with your existing company for only one month?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations were necessary.

Arlington, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton in January 2008.

Interview Details – Their HR department is horrible. First off, they accidentally cc'ed me on an email making fun of my name and/or request to reschedule the on-site interview (since they had given me notice to fly out about three days prior, I thought this was justified). They apologized to me after I emailed them about this. Then, at the interview they were missing the third person, and so could not make a decision without the three interviewers present. Additionally, I said I was interested in a certain area, and they put me in an interview for areas that were in no way related. I have heard similar stories of bad HR about Booz from other people as well. Hopefully they will fix this before their HR turns off all good candidates. I was not interested in the company after this interview experience and did not bother to follow up.

Interview Question – Asked what I was interested in at Booz   Answer Question

Arlington, VA

The process took a day - interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton in January 2010.

Interview Details – Interviewed for a consulting position (strategic), I am not sure why they chose me as I was not experienced at all in the defense field. I thought it would be more business strategic consulting, but it ended up being all for the defense department, so we agreed to disagree on the position.

Interview Question – When was a team you failed?   Answer Question

Worked for Booz Allen Hamilton? Contribute to the Community!