Booz Allen Hamilton Interview Questions in Arlington, VA

Updated Aug 12, 2015

3.1

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton (Arlington, VA) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online and received a phone call from a recruiter within a few days. We had a brief (20 minute) conversation about my experience. I received an email from an "interview coordinator" the next day who scheduled the interview. When I showed up to the interview, there were two other individuals applying for the same position. That was a little awkward. We were all brought into one conference room and told that Booz hires in anticipation of future project needs, so there was not necessarily one position available, but that different people may have different skills sets needed on the overall team. Each interviewee was sent to a different office and three different individuals rotated between the rooms to conduct 30 minute interviews. The interviews were pretty standard - no tricky questions. Mostly about past experience, why I was interested in working with Booz, what my dream job would be (how I would actually spend my day), lots of behavioral questions and those sorts of things. I received a phone call the next week with an informal offer, then a written offer after negotiations.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

It was fine. Because you are working wiht a recruiter, it makes the situation a bit easier. I was asked salary requirements in phone screening, and they agreed that my requirements were within the range for the position. I was told Booz does not typically negotiate salary, but I was able to make a small increase in base salary.

Communications Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton (Arlington, VA) in February 2015.

Interview

Applied online and was contacted by a recruiter about a month later. The phone screen was pretty quick, all the questions were basically things she could have gotten from my online application. A week later I was scheduled for an in-person at the Crystal City office. There were about 5 other candidates interviewing for the same position when I got there. Interview was with 3 separate people from the team. Most of the questions focused on why I wanted to work for Booz Allen and some behavioral questions. Interviewers were not very relaxed and it was not really a great experience. I wasn't interested in working for them anymore and accepted another offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton (Arlington, VA) in June 2014.

Interview

Interviewed for an Arlington consultant position and the entire process was very thorough. I had a phone interview with an recruiter that was just going over my resume. Then I filled out an application and had back to back phone interviews with different people in different departments. These two ask some harder questions like "why Booze Allen" or "what is your process if you wanted to pick out a new dishwasher for me, but there was no internet". Nothing too hard though. That was followed by an informal phone interview to see how i thought the interviews went and my availability for an in person interview. My in person interview was on an entirely different level though. I met with two people from my potential department. The first question was "walk me through the entire software lifecycle with detailed steps on how you would handle each step." After that fun little curveball, the other guy started hammering me. It started where I had to pretend he was the traffic controller and convince him to change the traffic light timings. I had to convince him that it is worth the cost, time, and risk to do. Finally, I had to consult him on a job board website and he played the worst client ever. I had to try to get requirements out of him while explaining the difference in things I had no clue about. He then ended this fun time with "why booze allen." I told him about how the company is 100 years old, based on a strict moral code, and always delivering award winning work. His response that left me frozen was "yeah, but Delloite has those things too, what makes booze allen different." At the end, He said that I am most likely getting an offer, so that helped me feel better.

Lead Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton (Arlington, VA) in October 2011.

Interview

Good, met team and key leadership. Reviewed on-boarding process, expectations, HR and travel rules. Got a good feel of the organization, culture and work ethic required for success.

Interview Questions

• Subject based and general. Wanted to know background, experience, key skills and contacts/network.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton (Arlington, VA) in December 2010.

Interview

Interviewed with multiple members of the team with the job opening including the Project Manager and Program Manager, a Senior Associate, and a peer. The interview lasted approximately two hours. The interview consisted of one on one meetings as well as multiple interviewers. They presented a timed exercise related to the job opening, but it was not a "make or break" exercise, rather a gauge of aptitude for the position.

Interview Questions

• How did you hear about the position? They wanted to know whether I found the position and applied or if a recruiter contacted me.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Non-negotiable.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton (Arlington, VA) in October 2010.

Interview

As has been noted elsewhere on this site, the BAH hiring process is quite streamlined. About a week after I posted my resume on their website, I had a phone screen with an HR subcontractor. That subcontractor scheduled me for what he referred to as a "technical event," at which there was good food and an info session followed by the group interview, where perhaps a dozen applicants who sat at tables while various project managers rotated through and asked questions. The HR subcontractor also mentioned as a possible second, separate interview. A couple of the interviewers had already looked at my resume and made notes, while the other two or three were clearly seeing it for the first time. Despite the event's name, none of the questions asked were technical in nature. I think the interviewers were evaluating more of professional bearing and whether I could impress a client with my presentation and credentials. After the first event, my second event was cancelled -- one of the teams from the first event was interested, and BAH does not want to compete with itself for a hire. I got an offer (this time from a BAH employee) about a week later, and there was a bit of online paperwork involved. I thought the initial offer was slightly below market -- not as low as others have noted elsewhere on this site -- and I explained what I thought was a reasonable range, ~5-10% above their initial offer. I also asked to talk to the hiring manager so I could be sure that the project was a good fit for me, a conversation the HR rep quickly arranged. Afterwards BAH came back with a number in the middle of the range I gave them. Although I ultimately declined the offer, I had a positive experience with the hiring and interview process.

Interview Questions

• Nothing difficult. General questions on experience ("describe a situation in which you did X") and reason for interest in the company, etc.   Answer Question

Although my experience with BAH was very positive, I received another offer that was a shorter commute and more closely aligned to my interests (albeit at a slightly lower salary). BAH's HR rep was very gracious when I declined, and I would certainly reconnect if my situation ever changed.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton (Arlington, VA) in October 2010.

Interview

Applied through the career site and received a phone call from a recruiter ~ 1 month later for a fit interview. After the initial screen, I was contacted by two associates who asked about my technical experience. I was invited for an on-site interview that consisted of a series of 2 vs 1 interviews with staff and management. At the end of the half-day, I was asked to give a seminar on my work followed by a Q&A from people in the group I was interviewing to join.

Information Security Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton (Arlington, VA) in August 2010.

Interview

I met with a manager to discuss possible opportunities within the orginization. We discussed my career goals and how the company could help with them and how I could help the company attract new business.

Interview Questions

• Why have you only been with your existing company for only one month?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiations were necessary.

Associate/Senior Systems Engineering Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton (Arlington, VA) in February 2010.

Interview

Phone interview, face-t0-face interview followed by lunch with the hiring manager, then dinner. Hired in 5 days.

Interview Questions

• Please explain the Earned Value Management system and processes.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Very short. They offered $3,000 more than my previous job.

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton (Arlington, VA) in January 2010.

Interview

Interviewed for a consulting position (strategic), I am not sure why they chose me as I was not experienced at all in the defense field. I thought it would be more business strategic consulting, but it ended up being all for the defense department, so we agreed to disagree on the position.