Booz Allen Hamilton

Average Difficulty
96 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Crystal City, VA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton in October 2013.

Interview Details – Phone screen, one on one and group interview. They are a very young group and it seemed a little like indoctrination. had to wait for weeks to get my clearance verified

Interview Question – No difficult questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They were better than the alternatives

Associate

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton.

Interview Details – Resume and profile submitted to BAH Recruitment on my behalf by long-time employee. Contacted by Sr. Recruiter for phone screening; participated in numerous phone interviews with Sr. Associates and Principals; then met with Practice leadership and senior-level associates for several in-person interviews.

Interview Question – Why do you want to join BAH?   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied through other source and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton in December 2013.

Interview Details – Much easier than expected. Although I was hired for a very specific project and the only questions I was asked centered around specific project experience. Luckily the project was exactly like my last project at my former company so I anticipated most of the questions.

Interview Question – Asking about some federal compliance experience I had over 10 years ago. It was tough to remember all the details.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The recruiter call and offered me a salary above what I was seeking so I accepted immediately.

Linthicum, MD

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton in May 2012.

Interview Details – Typical back and forth with recruiting to set up an interview. Initial phone call was about 10 mins, then about 24hrs later had a round robin phone call with two people from one of the teams I could potentially be working with. Had an in-person interview about a week later with three different people, none of them were the same people I spoke with on the phone.

Interview Question – None, typical consultant questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Was asked about salary requirements, offer came back much lower.

McLean, VA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton.

Interview Details – Interviews are generally behavior-based questions. You will be grilled around your expertise and fit with the firm's culture. Stay persistent with recruiters; they tend to be lackadaisical with follow-up.

Interview Question – I did not find any of the questions to be difficult.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The company does not take kindly to negotiation. The recruiter made me feel like they were going to revoke my offer when I asked for more money.

Associate

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton in January 2013.

Interview Details – I was very nervous about interviewing with a management consulting firm. I thought it would be really difficult with lots of numerical case-based questions and high-pressure interview techniques. I prepared for days, reading Harvard Business Review articles and sample case studies; holding informational interviews with former employees and memorizing Booz Allen's core values.

In reality the interview was a piece of cake. And in a lot of ways, it was disappointing because I expected more from such a large, well-established firm.

My interview started with a phone screening with one of Booz Allen's contracted outside recruiters. This was frustrating because the recruiter seemed to read from a script, had poor listening skills and didn't seem equipped to understand or communicate the strategic goals of the company and how the job vacancy I was interviewing for fit into that. It felt like a check-the-box exercise and it didn't give me a great first impression.

Next, I attended a half-day interview at Booz Allen's HQ in McLean, VA. The day was well organized, with a decent overview of the company given by the Booz Allen Resource Management Team. Then, I had a series of one-on-one interviews with Associates. The interviewers probably skimmed my resume for 2 minutes outside the interview room, because they came across as very junior, with little or no knowledge of the strategic direction of the firm. Their questions were bog-standard interview questions; nothing really scratched the surface of what I'd done in the past or what I'm passionate about. They read from interview scripts and seemed to be another 'check-the-box' part of the process. I wasn't impressed or challenged. It felt like they were asked to interview me the day before.

Finally, I had a 1-hour telephone interview with a Senior Associate and Lead Associate. This was much better and probably turned the tables for me in terms of my decision to join the firm. The interviewers seemed to have a much better grasp of my experience, asked more engaging questions and described what day-to-day life might be like at the firm.

Interview Question – None. I was asked a lot of technical questions about my are of expertise, but none were difficult. There were no case study questions to answer. Most non-technical questions were behavioral-event questions like,
"Tell me about a time when..."
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Oh how I wish I"d negotiated! My one piece of critical advice is to access Glassdoor.com, arm yourself with information and negotiate as high a title and salary as possible. Once you're "in" it's near impossible to get promoted or to get meaningful pay increases. I understand now why there are many employees who leave the firm and return as "come-back" kids, because it's a much easier way to move up the ladder. I wish someone had given me this advice before I accepted the offer.

Very Easy Interview

Annapolis Junction, MD

I applied through other source and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton.

Interview Details – I received an unsolicited phone call from an employee who found my resume through membership to a professional society. I was brought into an interview and they asked me 3 questions about experience and resume, then they asked me if I was willing to learn new techniques and methods for analysis, and then they asked me if I had any ethical issues with doing DOD work. Then we spend the rest of the interview talking about hobbies and interests outside of work.

Interview Question – I think the unexpected question was about whether or not I had ethical issues with DOD work. It surprised me that that they cared, but later I found out that they ask because due to the nature of the work, they did not want us to have any personal issues with the work that we did and would have placed in work that didn't keep me up at night.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They asked me first for salary and I provided a high number and they accepted. It seemed like they were in need at the time for the skill set that I had.

El Segundo, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton in February 2013.

Interview Details – Pretty sloppy interview. Cursory

Interview Question – I didn't expect to have to respond to opinions of others I have worked with which was mined from past employers.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – This is a sore point. They offered me 25% of what I was already making, then came back and said they made a mistake and took another 10% AFTER I had accepted the offer.

Associate

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton.

Interview Details – It was a straight forward interview. I was asked about previous experiences and how they may relate to the current task order. The interview was a panel process where I was interviewed by multiple team members. I think they're more interested in background coupled with personality fit.

Interview Question – There were no unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation. The offered a lower salary and would not negotiate on vesting or vacation to compensate.

Interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton

Interview Details – After a fairly standard pre-screen process I was invited to an 'interview event' where four Senior Associates rotated through asking questions. Most of the questions are situational based but I have heard of case interviews as well. Mostly it was about being able to quickly establish a rapport with the interviewer and express oneself well.

Interview Question – No surprise questions, they do a good job getting you ready for what to expect.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No ability to negotiate - take it or leave it

Worked for Booz Allen Hamilton? Contribute to the Community!