Booz Allen Hamilton Associate Interview Questions

Updated Sep 6, 2014

2.7

98 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Associate Interview

My interview process was conducted in phases. The first phase was a phone call with the career manager. Second, a face to face interview with a team from the company. Third, an additional phone conversation followed by a fourth phone conversation with members of the company.

Interview Questions
  • Nothing out of the ordinary. Typical interview questions.   Answer Question
There were none.

Other Interview Reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton

Associate Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton.

Get spammed for potential work (not funded) by HR contractors. Sit through an interview given empty promises. Sit at the Herndon office for two days of Indoctrination, the pinnacle of which was an ethics board game.

Interview Questions
    We're gonna pay you less than what you were making but were gonna throw in a 10K sign-on bonus, mkay

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Crystal City, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Crystal City, VA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton in October 2013.

Phone screen, one on one and group interview. They are a very young group and it seemed a little like indoctrination. had to wait for weeks to get my clearance verified

Interview Questions
    They were better than the alternatives

Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton.

Resume and profile submitted to BAH Recruitment on my behalf by long-time employee. Contacted by Sr. Recruiter for phone screening; participated in numerous phone interviews with Sr. Associates and Principals; then met with Practice leadership and senior-level associates for several in-person interviews.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Linthicum, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Linthicum, MD

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton in May 2012.

Typical back and forth with recruiting to set up an interview. Initial phone call was about 10 mins, then about 24hrs later had a round robin phone call with two people from one of the teams I could potentially be working with. Had an in-person interview about a week later with three different people, none of them were the same people I spoke with on the phone.

Interview Questions
    Was asked about salary requirements, offer came back much lower.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton in December 2013.

Much easier than expected. Although I was hired for a very specific project and the only questions I was asked centered around specific project experience. Luckily the project was exactly like my last project at my former company so I anticipated most of the questions.

Interview Questions
    • Asking about some federal compliance experience I had over 10 years ago. It was tough to remember all the details.   Answer Question
    The recruiter call and offered me a salary above what I was seeking so I accepted immediately.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  McLean, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton.

Interviews are generally behavior-based questions. You will be grilled around your expertise and fit with the firm's culture. Stay persistent with recruiters; they tend to be lackadaisical with follow-up.

Interview Questions
    The company does not take kindly to negotiation. The recruiter made me feel like they were going to revoke my offer when I asked for more money.

Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton in January 2013.

I was very nervous about interviewing with a management consulting firm. I thought it would be really difficult with lots of numerical case-based questions and high-pressure interview techniques. I prepared for days, reading Harvard Business Review articles and sample case studies; holding informational interviews with former employees and memorizing Booz Allen's core values.

In reality the interview was a piece of cake. And in a lot of ways, it was disappointing because I expected more from such a large, well-established firm.

My interview started with a phone screening with one of Booz Allen's contracted outside recruiters. This was frustrating because the recruiter seemed to read from a script, had poor listening skills and didn't seem equipped to understand or communicate the strategic goals of the company and how the job vacancy I was interviewing for fit into that. It felt like a check-the-box exercise and it didn't give me a great first impression.

Next, I attended a half-day interview at Booz Allen's HQ in McLean, VA. The day was well organized, with a decent overview of the company given by the Booz Allen Resource Management Team. Then, I had a series of one-on-one interviews with Associates. The interviewers probably skimmed my resume for 2 minutes outside the interview room, because they came across as very junior, with little or no knowledge of the strategic direction of the firm. Their questions were bog-standard interview questions; nothing really scratched the surface of what I'd done in the past or what I'm passionate about. They read from interview scripts and seemed to be another 'check-the-box' part of the process. I wasn't impressed or challenged. It felt like they were asked to interview me the day before.

Finally, I had a 1-hour telephone interview with a Senior Associate and Lead Associate. This was much better and probably turned the tables for me in terms of my decision to join the firm. The interviewers seemed to have a much better grasp of my experience, asked more engaging questions and described what day-to-day life might be like at the firm.

Interview Questions
    • None. I was asked a lot of technical questions about my are of expertise, but none were difficult. There were no case study questions to answer. Most non-technical questions were behavioral-event questions like,
      "Tell me about a time when..."
        Answer Question
    Oh how I wish I"d negotiated! My one piece of critical advice is to access Glassdoor.com, arm yourself with information and negotiate as high a title and salary as possible. Once you're "in" it's near impossible to get promoted or to get meaningful pay increases. I understand now why there are many employees who leave the firm and return as "come-back" kids, because it's a much easier way to move up the ladder. I wish someone had given me this advice before I accepted the offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Annapolis Junction, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Annapolis Junction, MD

I applied through other source. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton.

I received an unsolicited phone call from an employee who found my resume through membership to a professional society. I was brought into an interview and they asked me 3 questions about experience and resume, then they asked me if I was willing to learn new techniques and methods for analysis, and then they asked me if I had any ethical issues with doing DOD work. Then we spend the rest of the interview talking about hobbies and interests outside of work.

Interview Questions
    • I think the unexpected question was about whether or not I had ethical issues with DOD work. It surprised me that that they cared, but later I found out that they ask because due to the nature of the work, they did not want us to have any personal issues with the work that we did and would have placed in work that didn't keep me up at night.   Answer Question
    They asked me first for salary and I provided a high number and they accepted. It seemed like they were in need at the time for the skill set that I had.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  El Segundo, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton in February 2013.

Pretty sloppy interview. Cursory

Interview Questions
    • I didn't expect to have to respond to opinions of others I have worked with which was mined from past employers.   Answer Question
    This is a sore point. They offered me 25% of what I was already making, then came back and said they made a mistake and took another 10% AFTER I had accepted the offer.

Worked for Booz Allen Hamilton? Contribute to the Community!