Booz Allen Hamilton

Getting the Interview

90 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton in January 2013.

Interview Details – I was very nervous about interviewing with a management consulting firm. I thought it would be really difficult with lots of numerical case-based questions and high-pressure interview techniques. I prepared for days, reading Harvard Business Review articles and sample case studies; holding informational interviews with former employees and memorizing Booz Allen's core values.

In reality the interview was a piece of cake. And in a lot of ways, it was disappointing because I expected more from such a large, well-established firm.

My interview started with a phone screening with one of Booz Allen's contracted outside recruiters. This was frustrating because the recruiter seemed to read from a script, had poor listening skills and didn't seem equipped to understand or communicate the strategic goals of the company and how the job vacancy I was interviewing for fit into that. It felt like a check-the-box exercise and it didn't give me a great first impression.

Next, I attended a half-day interview at Booz Allen's HQ in McLean, VA. The day was well organized, with a decent overview of the company given by the Booz Allen Resource Management Team. Then, I had a series of one-on-one interviews with Associates. The interviewers probably skimmed my resume for 2 minutes outside the interview room, because they came across as very junior, with little or no knowledge of the strategic direction of the firm. Their questions were bog-standard interview questions; nothing really scratched the surface of what I'd done in the past or what I'm passionate about. They read from interview scripts and seemed to be another 'check-the-box' part of the process. I wasn't impressed or challenged. It felt like they were asked to interview me the day before.

Finally, I had a 1-hour telephone interview with a Senior Associate and Lead Associate. This was much better and probably turned the tables for me in terms of my decision to join the firm. The interviewers seemed to have a much better grasp of my experience, asked more engaging questions and described what day-to-day life might be like at the firm.

Interview Question – None. I was asked a lot of technical questions about my are of expertise, but none were difficult. There were no case study questions to answer. Most non-technical questions were behavioral-event questions like,
"Tell me about a time when..."
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Oh how I wish I"d negotiated! My one piece of critical advice is to access Glassdoor.com, arm yourself with information and negotiate as high a title and salary as possible. Once you're "in" it's near impossible to get promoted or to get meaningful pay increases. I understand now why there are many employees who leave the firm and return as "come-back" kids, because it's a much easier way to move up the ladder. I wish someone had given me this advice before I accepted the offer.

Very Easy Interview

Annapolis Junction, MD

I applied through other source and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton.

Interview Details – I received an unsolicited phone call from an employee who found my resume through membership to a professional society. I was brought into an interview and they asked me 3 questions about experience and resume, then they asked me if I was willing to learn new techniques and methods for analysis, and then they asked me if I had any ethical issues with doing DOD work. Then we spend the rest of the interview talking about hobbies and interests outside of work.

Interview Question – I think the unexpected question was about whether or not I had ethical issues with DOD work. It surprised me that that they cared, but later I found out that they ask because due to the nature of the work, they did not want us to have any personal issues with the work that we did and would have placed in work that didn't keep me up at night.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They asked me first for salary and I provided a high number and they accepted. It seemed like they were in need at the time for the skill set that I had.

El Segundo, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton in February 2013.

Interview Details – Pretty sloppy interview. Cursory

Interview Question – I didn't expect to have to respond to opinions of others I have worked with which was mined from past employers.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – This is a sore point. They offered me 25% of what I was already making, then came back and said they made a mistake and took another 10% AFTER I had accepted the offer.

Associate

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton.

Interview Details – It was a straight forward interview. I was asked about previous experiences and how they may relate to the current task order. The interview was a panel process where I was interviewed by multiple team members. I think they're more interested in background coupled with personality fit.

Interview Question – There were no unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation. The offered a lower salary and would not negotiate on vesting or vacation to compensate.

Interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton

Interview Details – After a fairly standard pre-screen process I was invited to an 'interview event' where four Senior Associates rotated through asking questions. Most of the questions are situational based but I have heard of case interviews as well. Mostly it was about being able to quickly establish a rapport with the interviewer and express oneself well.

Interview Question – No surprise questions, they do a good job getting you ready for what to expect.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No ability to negotiate - take it or leave it

McLean, VA

I applied online - interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton in March 2011.

Interview Details – A very detailed and thorough process of evaluation the candidate. They have some mock up tests and also group interviews challenging you in every step.

Interview Question – An unexpected strategy to be outlined and the best optimal solution   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Welcome. Ready to compensate based on experience and skills.

Annapolis Junction, MD

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton in August 2010.

Interview Details – Recruiter was a contracted employee and based on his aggressiveness, he was paid on commission. I was contacted the next day after applying online and had an interview set up within a couple days. Was not interested in the first team I interviewed with, and recruiter was slow to set up second interview with another team. Second interview was much more to my interest and I expressed a willingness to entertain the opportunity. Hiring manager made an offer before I could get out to my car after the interview.

Interview Question – Most of the questions were based on determining if I would be interested in the work. Not many skill-based questions. Some behavioral questions like "Describe a time where you had a dispute with a coworker and how you resolved it." Pretty softball interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I wasn't initially interested in the position, so I gave them the most ridiculous salary requirement I could think of without being offensive. They accepted it and gave me an offer before I got to my car after leaving the interview.

Arlington, VA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton in October 2010.

Interview Details – Applied through the career site and received a phone call from a recruiter ~ 1 month later for a fit interview. After the initial screen, I was contacted by two associates who asked about my technical experience. I was invited for an on-site interview that consisted of a series of 2 vs 1 interviews with staff and management. At the end of the half-day, I was asked to give a seminar on my work followed by a Q&A from people in the group I was interviewing to join.

Interview Question – How is this job going to help you get your next job?   Answer Question

McLean, VA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton in September 2010.

Interview Details – Excellent hiring process. Fast, efficient, no games, no trick questions. My resume was sent by a friend to a person at Booz who then referred my resume to her manager. This triggered a screening phone interview by HR, which went well. A day later I interviewed with the hiring manager by phone. Two weeks later I travelled to McLean, VA for a round of interviews. Got an offer next day.

Interview Question – There were no difficult questions, which was part of what was great about it. I had five conversations with different members of the team, all of them about getting to know me and my skills. It's been my experience at Booz that most people in the firm realize that how someone responds to a difficult or trick question, under the pressure of the interview environment, does not in any way indicate how a person will perform day in day out on the job. One of the keys to managing your interview at Booz is to come prepared with lots of good questions. A demonstration of curiosity and eagerness are generally regarded at Booz as one indicator of someone who will thrive as a consultant. This is certainly true for my team. We look for aptitude, agreeableness, high IQ and EQ, an interest in the client and the work we do for the client, and a team orientation. We don't want someone on our team who could rock a McKinsey or Google case question but has a big ego or can't work well with others.   Answer Question

Associate

I applied through other source and interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton.

Interview Details – Only had 1 round in person - met with 2 people for about 45 min each. Easy going convo.

Interview Question – Nothing - very straight forward   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Was only able to negotiate bonus

Interviews for Top Jobs at Booz Allen Hamilton

Worked for Booz Allen Hamilton? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Booz Allen Hamilton Associate interview questions and advice. All 90 interview reviews posted anonymously by Booz Allen Hamilton employees and interview candidates.