Booz Allen Hamilton Associate Interview Questions

Updated Oct 15, 2014

2.6

105 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton.

I came out of grad school and was interviewed by a bunch of alums from my school. So, the process was pretty relaxed. I did about 5 total interviews and had to answer only 1 case study (which was kind of a softball).

They were very inflexible...take it or leave it approach.

Other Interview Reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton

2-pahse recruiting process:

1) Phone screen with HR recruiter
    2) On site behavioral interview with 3 persons each emphasizing
    - Consulting Skills,
    - Leadership Skills,
    - Technical Skills

Associate Interview

Was brought before a committee of 4 associate and senior-associate members. The interview took around 3 hours.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton in February 2013.

Pretty sloppy interview. Cursory

Interview Questions
    • I didn't expect to have to respond to opinions of others I have worked with which was mined from past employers.   Answer Question
    This is a sore point. They offered me 25% of what I was already making, then came back and said they made a mistake and took another 10% AFTER I had accepted the offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton.

Most interviews within the Strategy & Organization capability are conducted on a week night with a panel of interviewers from various levels within the organization. Candidates sit at a table and chat for 30 minutes with 3 different interviewers. Each interviewer handles a different skill set: leadership, functional skills, and consulting skills. Later there is a networking reception so you can socialize with interviewers you didn't meet in person. After the event, the candidates are sent home and the interviewers decide on who to hear. It's great because you usually hear yea/no within a week.

Interview Questions
    • Name a project you worked on and how you approached it; soup to nuts.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton in January 2013.

I was very nervous about interviewing with a management consulting firm. I thought it would be really difficult with lots of numerical case-based questions and high-pressure interview techniques. I prepared for days, reading Harvard Business Review articles and sample case studies; holding informational interviews with former employees and memorizing Booz Allen's core values.

In reality the interview was a piece of cake. And in a lot of ways, it was disappointing because I expected more from such a large, well-established firm.

My interview started with a phone screening with one of Booz Allen's contracted outside recruiters. This was frustrating because the recruiter seemed to read from a script, had poor listening skills and didn't seem equipped to understand or communicate the strategic goals of the company and how the job vacancy I was interviewing for fit into that. It felt like a check-the-box exercise and it didn't give me a great first impression.

Next, I attended a half-day interview at Booz Allen's HQ in McLean, VA. The day was well organized, with a decent overview of the company given by the Booz Allen Resource Management Team. Then, I had a series of one-on-one interviews with Associates. The interviewers probably skimmed my resume for 2 minutes outside the interview room, because they came across as very junior, with little or no knowledge of the strategic direction of the firm. Their questions were bog-standard interview questions; nothing really scratched the surface of what I'd done in the past or what I'm passionate about. They read from interview scripts and seemed to be another 'check-the-box' part of the process. I wasn't impressed or challenged. It felt like they were asked to interview me the day before.

Finally, I had a 1-hour telephone interview with a Senior Associate and Lead Associate. This was much better and probably turned the tables for me in terms of my decision to join the firm. The interviewers seemed to have a much better grasp of my experience, asked more engaging questions and described what day-to-day life might be like at the firm.

Interview Questions
    • None. I was asked a lot of technical questions about my are of expertise, but none were difficult. There were no case study questions to answer. Most non-technical questions were behavioral-event questions like,
      "Tell me about a time when..."
        Answer Question
    Oh how I wish I"d negotiated! My one piece of critical advice is to access Glassdoor.com, arm yourself with information and negotiate as high a title and salary as possible. Once you're "in" it's near impossible to get promoted or to get meaningful pay increases. I understand now why there are many employees who leave the firm and return as "come-back" kids, because it's a much easier way to move up the ladder. I wish someone had given me this advice before I accepted the offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton.

30 minutes interviews with 4 interviewers first round
    30 minutes interviews with 3 interviewers second round
    30 minutes interviews with with 2 clients

Interview Questions
    Got offered the right amount. Was able to negotiate a little bit more

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton.

Initial phone interview after submitting a resume. Invited to an Open House where I was interviewed by a panel from the team that wanted to employ me. The interviewers were friendly and inviting, no good cop, bad cop scenario, the focus was on my knowledge and expertise. The interview lasted about an hour and upon completion I was escorted to another room where refreshments were available and I was told to wait, that a decision would be made that night. After about 30 minutes, I was informed that the firm was extending me a job offer and would contact me shortly with an offer. It took about two weeks for the offer to arrive.

Interview Questions
    Not difficult at the time because there was plenty of money circulating in the economy. Market rate plus consideration of my years of expertise in the discipline for which they were hiring me led to easy negotiations.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton.

Submitted application and resume online for one position posted on BAH 's website, then applied for eight more positions using saved information. I was contacted within 2 days by one of their lead recruiters and answered screening questions. At the end of the screening, the recruiter arranged an appointment with me to talk with a Lead Associate who is the Program Manager of a large multi-site healthcare reform contract. My follow-up phone interview with the Lead Associate lasted over 2 hours, but it did not seem that long. The style of questioning was conversational and was scenario focused oriented (i.e. Describe a time..., How have you..., etc...). Less than a week later, I was called by a different recruiter to schedule an in-person and phone interview with 2 additional Lead Associates at one of BAH 's corporate sites. Both interviews lasted about 30 minutes and were similar to my previous interview. During these interviews, I learned that I typically would only have been interviewed in-person by a Sr. Associate, but he was on leave and had arranged for the two 30 minute interviews as his proxy. This impressed me greatly because it directly demonstrated the high level of trust and confidence that the team members have for each other.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a difficult situation you have encountered in your present job and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton in June 2012.

I was contacted by a recruiter for the job and then brought in for a 3-person panel interview after an initial phone screening. Most paperwork was sent via email for hiring. The process took about a month only because the government was slow in finalizing the contract. Other assignments were faster and within a couple of weeks.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a difficult client?   View Answer
    The salary on the contract was very limited. I asked the recruiter to request that the manager give me the high end due to my seniority and the already low salary range.