Booz Allen Hamilton

Getting the Interview

87 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton

Interview Details – On campus interviewing, with at least three interviews with associates or higher. Preceded the night before with an in-person, on campus presentation about the company and the benefits of working for the company. After the interviews, I had to complete a writing assignment which I had one hour to complete and then submit back to the company.

Interview Question – Most questions were behavioral, and high level   Answer Question

McLean, VA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton in January 2014.

Interview Details – I gave my interview to someone I knew that worked there. About a month later, in December I got an call about scheduling an in person interview. It was near christmas, and we tried to schedule for the week before but were unable to. In January I e-mailed the recruiter to try and confirm the rescheduling of the interview. She got back to me quickly and the interview was scheduled for the next week. Lots of documents needed to be filled out online before the interview. Once I arrived at the McLean office for the interview, I was led to a room for my interviews. I had 4 interviews, a Senior Associate, a Lead Associate, an Associate and two programmers. The Senior Lead, and Regular associate mostly talked about the company but also asked questions about how I would deal with things. They were mostly behavioral questions. The two programmers mostly asked about my resume, what I knew about various programming styles and how I dealt with problems when I was on teams. A week after this interview I received an offer and accepted.

Interview Question – The most difficult question was how I dealt with issues in the various teams I was.   Answer Question

McLean, VA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton in February 2014.

Interview Details – I had a referral going in which I think makes it a lot easier if you want that initial screening. Once my application was processed, they called me the next day. A few question about my interests and as expected, they asked about my salary expectation at the very end so be sure you got a range in your mind.

About 3 weeks later, I had my interview at the Mclean office where I sat down with an Associate and a Senior Associate separately for 30 minutes. I think the recruiter sends your resume to managers based on your interest, and the ones who are interested are the ones who interview you. At the interviewing offices, there were five other applicants and more sitting in the waiting area. They sat me in a small room no bigger than a college bathroom with a manager waiting for me. I think the key to the interview was developing a conversation out of your experience as well as expressing why you are a fit for the company culture. Booz wants team players who are willing to learn the necessary skills. Be sure to always ask question during your conversation. After both interviews, I took both of their business cards and left with the first five interviewees I walked in with. They said they would contact me in a week, and they didnt. They did not get back to me until a month with a verbal offer. Overall, everyone I have spoken with either over the phone or in person has been very polite and professional. I think aside from the type of work they do, the people are definitely something to look forward to.

Interview Question – At the very last minute, one of the Associates threw in a general case study. This threw me off because I did not prepare for this and I read Booz Allen does not do case studies. Be prepared for one regardless.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Always negotiate, never feel comfortable with what you are offered. The worse that can happen is they say no and you take the original offer.

McLean, VA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton in January 2014.

Interview Details – Submitted application online in December 2013. Was contacted in January for a phone interview. Went in to the office in McLean for an interview. I met with three different people. They put me in a small room, and every 30 minutes the interviewers would switch. I was contacted with an offer a month and a half later.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work here? How do you manage your time and prioritize?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate, salary was exactly as I requested.

Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton in March 2010.

Interview Details – Had 3 phone interviews. 1st with HR, second 2 with Senior Associates

Interview Question – All questions were standard behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Did not negotiate

McLean, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton.

Interview Details – Started with phone screen, then invited to interview about a month later.

Interview Question – Asked about consulting experience.   Answer Question

Consultant

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton.

Interview Details – Very simple, conversational interview. Two 30-minute interviews - one with a senior manager, one with HR. On college campus. Most questions were asking about my experience and skills - no brainteasers or cases. Nothing too off the wall either. Make sure you have good questions to ask both individuals. Remember your primary client will be the US Federal Government unless you are specifically interviewing for our private sector group.

Interview Question – How would you define consulting?   Answer Question

Plano, TX

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton in March 2013.

Interview Details – Hiring process was not difficult - but there wasn't a lot of communication between the actual job offer, and the date of hire. The interview really wasn't that difficult -- usually by that time your experience and resume has already been doing some talking for you -- I got the feeling that they were more interested in getting a feel for how you solve problems, and how you respond to questions, rather than giving the 'right' answer. They value the ability to work effectively on a team - and they value the ability to use intuition to creatively solve problems. The questions felt a little canned, but again the feeling was more "Would I rather this guy be in the foxhole with me, than the other candidates?"

Interview Question – None of them were really difficult or unexpected -- again I felt that it was the *how* you responded to the questions that made the difference. Let them know that you genuinely relish the opportunity to tackle a challenge - don't grouse about how you're the only one who ever gets anything done on a group project.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No real negotiating room when you first come on board -- tried that with SAIC, and they don't seem to think much of Glassdoor figures. Negotiating is probably more viable when you are thinking about accepting something *other* than an entry-level position, of if you have a technical ability which really sets you apart, and you have offers from other firms to back that up.

McLean, VA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton in September 2010.

Interview Details – I was invited to a group, speed dating-style interview. Everyone I had contact with in scheduling the interview was very professional and helpful. When I arrived, I was impressed by the building. They clearly were used to interviewing a lot of people and the process was very well organized. All the interviewees sat at tables and interviewers rotated on set intervals. The people I met with were interesting and I enjoyed speaking with them. One thing that struck me as odd was the age range of the other interviewees. I would say the ages ranged from 25-45. I'm guessing they were interviewing for a variety of positions. One of the interviewers told me each person had something different they were supposed to interview for.

Interview Question – We ended up talking about the dress code (suit), and that was unexpected.   Answer Question

Norfolk, VA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton in December 2012.

Interview Details – I originally did an informational interview with one my current team members via outside networking. Months later the team got an opening so the company contacted me. I did a phone interview with 3 of the senior members of the team and was offered the job shortly after. No official face-to-face interview.

Interview Question – Pretty generic interview questions for an entry level job. Asked questions like "When was a time you went above and beyond the call of duty at your previous job."   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I accepted the initial offer with no negotiation.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Booz Allen Hamilton

Worked for Booz Allen Hamilton? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Booz Allen Hamilton Consultant interview questions and advice. All 87 interview reviews posted anonymously by Booz Allen Hamilton employees and interview candidates.