Booz Allen Hamilton Interview Questions

Updated Sep 14, 2014
Updated Sep 14, 2014

2.7

Researcher Interview

Very thorough and long interview process that lasted about two hours; interviewed with the entire team I'd be working with and for; good HR overview of benefits; interview gave me a good idea of the work I'd be doing and what the expectations were for the position I was being interviewed to fill.

Technologist - Business Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Rockville, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton in July 2014.

The interview was basically a cattle call. There were a number of tables set up in 2 rooms. We were asked to sit at a table and the interviewers came and asked each of us questions. My first interviewer seemed a bit distracted but after engaging her in conversation a little more she seemed to respond well. The second interviewer was very nice and was interested in me as a candidate which was nice. We were told at the end of the interview that we would hear from our recruiters by the middle of the following week. I didn't hear from them so I sent a follow up. About a 2 weeks after the interview I received a phone offer, and it took another week or two to have the paper offer drafted and sent to me. I accepted the offer, although the salary was a bit lower than I was hoping for.

Interview Questions
    • When I interviewed I didn't know that this was for the position of a technologist (business systems analyst), so the most difficult questions were about my technology/coding history which I did tell them I have very minimal knowledge but am willing to learn. Stressing that you are willing to shape yourself to the company is very important.   Answer Question
    I told them what I would like and they came back with a counter offer. Although lower than I hoped, this is a Junior position so I didn't have high hopes for the pay. It was higher than what I was expecting at first but not as high as I hoped.

Associate Interview

My interview process was conducted in phases. The first phase was a phone call with the career manager. Second, a face to face interview with a team from the company. Third, an additional phone conversation followed by a fourth phone conversation with members of the company.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing out of the ordinary. Typical interview questions.   Answer Question
    There were none.

Lead Technologist Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton.

The hiring process at BAH is very organized and gives any candidate all the details they need. The interviews are done by at least two people, but they ask standard questions for anyone who is prepared.

Management Consulting Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  McLean, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton in November 2010.

This was straightforward for me, as I was more experienced in their area of need than they were. They did attempt to push me into a box during a portion of the process, though I could see what they were doing.

Interview Questions
    • Due to my experience, there were no difficult questions.   Answer Question
    The declining economy left me with little negotiation space. They did hire me a level under where I should be, which unfortunately was expected

Senior Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton.

Quite efficient process, initially screened by someone in HR, then round-robin type interviews with multiple candidates, but individual 30min well-organized, relatively simple interviews (resume walkthrough, why interested in Booz Allen etc). It was unclear during process what position exactly I was being hired for, and what team/who was interviewing and who I'd be working with, presumably because more than one position and team were hiring.

Interview Questions
    • These depended on the individual interviewing, it didn't seem as though there was a defined set of interview questions, which made it more comfortable. No business case/case study.   Answer Question

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 months - interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton in March 2012.

I was recruited at my graduate school. My initial interview was in-person with an HR representative. It was a standard HR interview asking me about my interest in the company and preferred salary range. My second set of interviews was with a specific team. I participated in four 30-minute in-person with a different team member. I was asked more specific questions regarding the subject area and previous experience.

Interview Questions
    • All of the questions were fairly standard. The more difficult questions were about the subject area.   Answer Question
    I would highly recommend negotiating as bonuses are not received until you are much higher up (raises tend to be fairly minimal around the cost of living raise unless you are promoted).

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 8 weeks - interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton.

Was referred-in by current employee with the company, who also gave me the hiring manager's name. I sent my cover letter-resume to the hiring manager directly. A couple weeks later, I was contacted by an external recruiter who did a very cursory 15 minute phone interview. A couple weeks later I was contacted by a junior team member and we did two case exercises over the phone. I was then invited to final round where I interviewed with 6 team members, each of varying levels of seniority and each conducting a case exercise.

In general the case exercises were not particularly difficult and there were no typical brain-teaser questions.

I heard back over two weeks later that I hadn't been offered the position.

Interview Questions
    • No particularly difficult questions. One slightly challenging case.   View Answer

Consultant Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton in August 2014.

Had a referral through a friend. I was invited for an onsite recruiting event at HQ in Mclean. It was set up like speed dating, you sat in a room and manager who were interested in you came in and interviewed you and then you waited for the next interviewer.

Management Consulting Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 6 months - interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton in July 2013.

The actual process was very odd -- I had submitted an online application for a generic job title at some point, forgotten about it, and then several months later received an unexpected email soliciting an interview. After a simple phone screening asking me to recap my resume, I was invited to an "interview event" (I don't remember exactly what they called it), that consisted of a short presentation by an HR consultant followed by a couple of interviews with Booz Allen staff lasting about 30 minutes apiece.

The first of these was a dull, cut-and-dried question-and-answer session asking for yet another resume recap, strengths, weaknesses, why this job, why this company, and so forth. The second was a "case" interview, though nothing like what I had heard case interviews for consulting firms were supposedly like. I was asked a very general question posing a client engagement scenario, and how I would approach the scoping and work if it were my project to run. There were no mind teasers, no mathematical questions, nothing even highly specific about the hypothetical engagement; it was mostly just an exercise in delineating a strategy for approaching a project.

After these interviews, I was presented with an offer over the phone within a week or two, and a formal letter following not long after that. Frankly one of the easiest interview processes I've gone though, and definitely not matching expectations in terms of rigor or level of difficulty that I expected from a firm in the management consulting industry.

Interview Questions
    • The "unexpected" factor came in the generalized form of the "case" question. As best I can remember, the question was a hypothetical about a large federal client engaging the firm to optimize their IT portfolio. Almost no details were specified, and subsequent questions in response to the ideas I offered did not provide many particular parameters to consider.   View Answer
    Zero negotiation; the HR person who was dealing with me (a consultant to Booz, not an actual employee) claimed that the compensation was fixed based on the contract that I was being hired to work on and couldn't be moved.

Worked for Booz Allen Hamilton? Contribute to the Community!