Booz Allen Hamilton Interview Questions in San Diego, CA

Updated Jun 20, 2015

2.9

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton (San Diego, CA).

Interview

Initial phone screen interview with HR a few days after applying online. Scheduled an in person interview for the following week. 3 consecutive interviews from 3 people initially scheduled on-site, stopped after 2 people completed their interviews that ended up going long by roughly 50% each. HR contact and offer afterwards came from out-of-state.

Interview Questions

• How would you approach a situation where you know with 100% certainty that your solution to a problem is correct, however your client refuses to accept the solution?   Answer Question
    • Can you describe to me what consulting truly is?   Answer Question
    • How do you feel about working with people that absolutely do not want you to be there under any circumstances? How would you turn the situation into a positive?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton (San Diego, CA) in August 2013.

Interview

Responsive staff with relaxed interviews.

Negotiation

Company was resistant.

Information Assurance Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton (San Diego, CA) in June 2013.

Interview

Initially I spoke to a very nice lady from HR over the phone who setup the appointment at a mutually beneficial time. The interview itself was with a group of four people who would be the team they were hiring for. Not too many in depth technical questions but this might have been because this was only the first interview, I did not get the position. One thing, one of them asked that Googlish question of how many tennis balls can you fit in a 747. I hate those questions but I responded with a bunch of other questions about the 747. Which model? Is it hallowed out? Is it fueled up? Etc Etc. Who knows, maybe that's I didn't get the positions. (Joke)

Interview Questions

• The tennis balls & 747 question. I didn't expect this question mainly because I feel most people that ask those type of questions don't necessarily understand why they ask them. I don't think I would ask a question like this.   Answer Question

FMS Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton (San Diego, CA) in November 2011.

Interview

Quick -- the position had to be filled quickly because the rate of attrition on the team was high. Started with the recruiter, who reviewed the resume. Then moved onto a series of interviews with individuals at each level of the line, to include:

1. Job Lead. Very perfunctory questions. Can you do this, can you do that. No probing questions on deeper job knowledge. Seemed unconcerned about his responsibility to vet. Abrogated the role of interviewer to me too quickly. A bad sign I should have paid attention to.

2. Lead Associate. High functioning individual, outside of the program. Formal interview questions but nothing to suggest he was invested in the selection process.

3. Senior Associate. High functioning individual. Very friendly. She was very sharp and asked for specifics about my experience.

4. Senior Associate. My future line manager. He was very keen to get someone with some experience into the role and help develop the overall team. Asked perfunctory questions and allowed me to be creative in problem solving. A very smooth interview.

The process lasted a total of five hours over a week, with an immediate decision after the last interview. Certainly not the most difficult interview I have had. Very pleasant and professional overall. Perhaps lacking on due diligence. Not a single one of my references were contacted.

Negotiation

I accepted the first offer, as I wanted to get in the door and try the company out.

Wargaming Analyst I Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton (San Diego, CA) in October 2011.

Interview

I was contacted by Booz Allen JMO (junior military officer) recruiters while I was on active duty. The process was lengthy, but very thorough. After an initial phone interview and a determination of when I would be available for hiring, the recruiters attempted to convince me to stay in the Washington DC area, where most of their jobs were. Due to family considerations, I asked for opportunities at the San Diego office. They were very supportive and after a lot of extra legwork on their part, they managed to wrangle me a spot during a group interview for the San Diego office.

The interview began in a conference room where BAH associates gave several generic presentations. We then proceeded upstairs to individual offices where we were interviewed by hiring managers from the various BAH divisions- I interviewed with the organizational change hiring manager, as well as the JTRS program officer manager. Both teams had selected me to interview based on my resume and asked me very perfunctory questions about my military experience and lessons that I learned from working with various organizations. After the interview process, both managers said that they would like to bring me on board, but did not have current openings.

From that point on, I realized that BAH seemed to recruit based on general traits rather than specific skill sets matched to a job. The recruiters assured me that I was a perfect fit for BAH, but that they had to find a good place for me. After going through multiple possible positions, they matched me to a wargaming job that was contingent on winning a government contract. BAH did not win the contract, but kept trying to keep me interested. I finally decided to go back to school to earn a Ph.D.

Interview Questions

• How would you market the JTRS (a military radio system) to a FMS (foreign military sales) client?   1 Answer

Cyber Security Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton (San Diego, CA) in July 2011.

Interview

4 different people interviewed me, 30 minutes each. The first two engineers ask me basic questions about my previous experiences, and the last two engineers asked me about technical networking terms, such as "define sandbox, the process of data packets" , etc.

Cost Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton (San Diego, CA) in July 2010.

Interview

The interview was with a handful of friendly people on the team I would be working with.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton (San Diego, CA) in April 2010.

Interview

Contacted via phone from HR to set up a day to come in. Spent all morning interviewing with the hiring manager and then 4 separate team members. HR also covered the basics of benefits.

Interview Questions

• There were none. It wasn't a very difficult interview.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton (San Diego, CA) in February 2009.

Interview

Only have a few other interviews as comparison I would have to say that the process was of norm and highly professional.

Initially I applied only via their website and was contact within 2 weeks of posting. I had an initial phone interview with a Booz Allen recruiter who gave me information on the position and expectations from the team. After a short 20-30 min discussion the recruiter asked if I would be interested in interviewing with the team as she felt that I was a fit for the position.

About 1 week later I was contacted by a team member of the team I was to join and we had about a 45-60 min phone interview concerning my skills, background, education, certifications, etc... then we discussed in detail the duties of the position. He quickly realized I would be a fit for the team and the position and began to feed me the firm kool-aid, which was fine and I quickly bought it, however, I was still skeptical on whether the position was right for me.

After about another week, I was notified that they wanted to have a formal interview. I was interview in person by 5 different people from the team and HR, from team member, to lead, to manager. First interview focused on consulting skills, second and third on technical background, fourth was with HR, and the final interview was with the program manager. Each lasted about 30 min and were very professional.

I definitely felt that the interview process went great and that I would soon hear from the recruiter. After the formal interview, it took about 1 week for me to receive an offer with a start date within 2-3 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of when you had to work with someone who was difficult to get along with. Why was this person difficult? How did you handle that person?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you had to handle multiple tasks. How did you organize the work you needed to do?   Answer Question

I had to decline for a number of reasons, however, the most important reasons were job security and seniority which I have built here with my current company. It was definitely a hard decision to make, one which I feel should be easy if the opportunity is great.

Booz Allen would definitely be a great company to join, however, I feel that for a minimal salary increase and almost lateral transition in title/position that it was a wash and not worth starting over.

From the 12% increase I was asking, they came back with a 4% which is less then I received on my annual staying with my current company.