Booz Allen Hamilton

Getting the Interview

18 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Vienna, VA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton.

Interview Details – Was referred to by a senior parter and had a full afternoon of interview between partners and senior managers. It was quite interesting process and i kind of enjoyed it.

Interview Question – Why wouldn't we hire you?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – not much negotiations as the offer was quite impressive.

Senior Associate

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton.

Interview Details – Recruiter proactively contacted me for the position and the interviews consisted of two luncheon interviews with the capability Partner; and then a day of follow-on interviews with three Principals and two other Partners.

Interview Question – Most unexpected question - How many people have you fired?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Recruiter handles the salary and sign-on bonus negotiations. Everything can be negotiated.

McLean, VA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton in July 2011.

Interview Details – It took some time to get the interview scheduled. I think it was a month before I got on an executive's calendar. I met with my direct supervisor over dinner, with a former colleague I knew from a former consultancy firm. That exchange was very informative and positive.

Interview Question – Why did I want to take a position for a lower salary?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – It was fairly easy. I accepted a lower offer than my previous employers, but was able to continue to support my children without significant travel requirements.

McLean, VA

I applied in-person and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton.

Interview Details – Three separate interview sessions with senior managers

Interview Question – Routine stuff, no surprises   Answer Question

McLean, VA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton in September 2013.

Interview Details – The interview process was very extensive. I interviewed with 9 personnel SA, Principal, VP, and Partner over the course of about a month. The first group of interviews focused on my background and the second group was more interested in contacts and process. Overall, I was impressed by the quality of the personnel interviewing me and felt it was a very diligent process.

Senior Associate

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton.

Interview Details – I hired in as a Senior Consultant and at the time the progression went from Researcher, Consultant, Sr Consultant, Associate, Sr Associate, Principal, Parter (Senior VP). Now the progress is Consultant, Sr Consultant, Associate, Lead Associate, Sr Associate, Principal, Vice President, Partner (SVP/EVP).

I was placed in a room and several people rotated in to interview me. They asked both situational and skills based questions, but not a case interview.

Interview Question – Discuss a time when you made a recommendation to a senior leader based on information you had researched, but after the presentation, you discovered that an aspect of your research was incorrect and the correct information would have changed your recommendation.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I had three offers on the table and I stated that my highest offer was 15% higher than what they were offering. They came back with a raised offer and a signing bonus, which put me slightly lower than my highest offer. I took the lower offer because of the future opportunities.

Senior Associate

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton.

Interview Details – I was referred by a current BAH employee. I was then called 3 times for "preliminary" information and interviews. These were by HR folks who were more looking for personnal information and asked generic questions. Then a month later I was asked to come to a "speed dating" group interview format. I sat at the same table in a large room with 15 other candidates, and I had 3 Booze employees rotate to talk to me for 30 minutes each. They were very nice and asked about my background and why I wanted to work for Booze. They did ask about any challenging work experiences I might have had. Then I waited for 2 months before I heard anything from HR. I called several times to ask for updates, and was told they would contact me soon. When I got a job offer from another company I told the employee who referred me, but HR still didnt contact me for another 1.5 months. By then I had accepted another job.

Interview Question – What work experience have you had that would prepare you for this job, and why.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I had already accepted a job at another company by the time they offered.

Washington, DC

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton in August 2010.

Interview Details – Very long and drawn out process. Six months from when I first met the recruiter to when I received an offer letter. Had to meet people who were my colleagues, worked in the same market and then a partner. Booz Allen ascribes to the 4-domain interview process: consulting skills, leadership, business development, technical skills. Each interviewer is given one of the four domains to cover. Make sure you have good stories for each domain. They value energy, measurable indicators for success and a spirit of collaboration.

Interview Question – Describe your greatest failure and how you learned from it   View Answer

Senior Associate

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton in February 2013.

Interview Details – Very pleasant interview process. Their HR office was polite and responsive. I was interviewed by 5 individuals who not only asked me about my relevant skills, but spoke in a very honest fashion of their own daily work demands and company benefits. The questions were technical and behavioral.

Interview Question – In what immediate ways do you believe that you can be an asset to our company?   Answer Question

McLean, VA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton in November 2012.

Interview Details – I applied for a Senior Associate position on the Decision Analytics team (government side not commercial) at Booz Allen at their McLean Headquarters. The process started in September 2012, and recently concluded in December of 2012, after 4 interviews, and several months of waiting and misinformation, I did not get the offer.

My skills may have not been a match for the job, and I completely accept their decision. But I'm writing this review so that potential candidate know what they're up against when interviewing, and to highlight the unprofessional practices of their HR department.

The process involved 2 phone interviews and 2 in person interviews. But here's the big catch with Booz Allen - when they interview you, they're not really interviewing you for a particular position (though they don't tell you that) they're interviewing you to understand what you skills are to figure out what team you might or might not be a fit for. So obtaining a subsequent interview does not mean you're progressing or advancing and getting closer to an offer, it just means HR hasn't communicated with the people doing the interviewing, and they're simply shuffling you around, and having different groups talk to you.

Each round at Booz Allen is a black box - no one will tell you how many rounds there are in the process, and each interveiw was basically about "let's go over your resume". There were very few other questions, case interviews etc. By the final round, one interviewer talked about how they needed a Microsoft SQL expert, yet I never claimed to have any profficiency in SQL. But it took months of preparing and multiple interview to get to that point, only to be told that that's the skill they need right now.

Finally, a particular HR associate also "forgot" to tell me that I was being called in for a final interview. She cancelled on me with less than 24 hours notice, said they were rescheduling the interview and then disappeared. When I finally called to ask if I was being considered for the final interview her response was "didn't anyone tell you?" I still didn't know that meant. So I had to speak two other HR people who claimed that I was being considered and invited me to the final interview event. After being asked about SQL repeatedly, even though it wasn't a skill on my resume, I was rejected. But here's the BEST PART of this review. Even though I was rejected for the Senior Associate position, no email was sent. So after waiting another month, i emailed the same HR associate from the beginning to figure out what my status was and she said that she I had been rejected weeks ago and she had sent me an email weeks ago. This was also untrue, as I never received an email from anyone, not to my spam or anywhere, I had succuessfully recieved all emails from Booz Allen in the past. This statement came from the same person who "forgot" to email me to tell me about the final interview.

All in all, buyer beware, the process is a black box, tons of miscommunication and your interests as a candidate come dead last. Please be respectful towards your candidates, you're setting a bad precedent.

Interview Question – most questions were simply asking about my resume over and over and some info about upcoming projects.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Booz Allen Hamilton

Worked for Booz Allen Hamilton? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Booz Allen Hamilton Senior Associate interview questions and advice. All 18 interview reviews posted anonymously by Booz Allen Hamilton employees and interview candidates.