Booz Allen Hamilton Senior Consultant Interview Questions

Updated Aug 30, 2015

2.7

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton (McLean, VA).

Interview

3 interviews about 20 minutes a piece with mid-level managers. They were mostly look for "fit" rather than quizzing you on knowledge. It was a low-stress, and well organized day. I think since that time they have switched to a more speed-dating format. I think it really depends on the position. More senior folks will have a longer interview process, but for junior consultants it's a pretty streamlined process.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time that you had to solve a problem creatively.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton (Washington, DC).

Interview

Started with an employee referral. Had a phone screen with a recruiter 10 days later. 2 weeks after that I interviewed by 3 people, one at a time. Each asked behavioral questions. Lots of delving into specific situations mentioned in the resume.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation on initial salary

Senior Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton in July 2015.

Interview

The pre-screening interview over the phone with my recruiter was probably the hardest part. About 3 weeks later, I had an in-person interview which included 3 separate face-to-face interviews. Each of those largely wanted to know what questions I might have about the group/company, while one of them asked a case question. The case question wasn't difficult to work through and my interviewers worked with me on the case so it felt like teamwork from the start. I was contacted 2 business days later by phone that they wanted to extend an offer to me. I received the formal offer via email the following day.

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton (San Diego, CA).

Interview

Initial phone screen interview with HR a few days after applying online. Scheduled an in person interview for the following week. 3 consecutive interviews from 3 people initially scheduled on-site, stopped after 2 people completed their interviews that ended up going long by roughly 50% each. HR contact and offer afterwards came from out-of-state.

Interview Questions

• How would you approach a situation where you know with 100% certainty that your solution to a problem is correct, however your client refuses to accept the solution?   Answer Question
    • Can you describe to me what consulting truly is?   Answer Question
    • How do you feel about working with people that absolutely do not want you to be there under any circumstances? How would you turn the situation into a positive?   Answer Question

Senior Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton in June 2015.

Interview

An employee forwarded my resume to some people and I received a call the following day from a recruiter who basically asked me questions related to my interests. Within a week, I had a phone interview with the manager from the team I'd be working on. After the phone call, they started working on extending me an offer.

Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton (McLean, VA).

Interview

I applied online and a few weeks later was contacted by a recruiter. I then came in for a panel interview with three members of the team. They were also interviewing other candidates. They told me they would get back to me the next week, however, it ended up being a few weeks after my interview that I got an offer.

Interview Questions

I will say that I thought it was a bit odd that after the offer was given, no one on the actual team ever contacted me. I even ran into a member of the team that I interviewed with at a conference and she was pretty rude. They lost me to a company that offered a team that seemed much more happy to have me on their team (and that had better benefits). Booz is already going to be battling a reputation of being a bit cold and demanding...teams need to work on combating this perception during the interview process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton (Arlington, VA) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online and received a phone call from a recruiter within a few days. We had a brief (20 minute) conversation about my experience. I received an email from an "interview coordinator" the next day who scheduled the interview. When I showed up to the interview, there were two other individuals applying for the same position. That was a little awkward. We were all brought into one conference room and told that Booz hires in anticipation of future project needs, so there was not necessarily one position available, but that different people may have different skills sets needed on the overall team. Each interviewee was sent to a different office and three different individuals rotated between the rooms to conduct 30 minute interviews. The interviews were pretty standard - no tricky questions. Mostly about past experience, why I was interested in working with Booz, what my dream job would be (how I would actually spend my day), lots of behavioral questions and those sorts of things. I received a phone call the next week with an informal offer, then a written offer after negotiations.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

It was fine. Because you are working wiht a recruiter, it makes the situation a bit easier. I was asked salary requirements in phone screening, and they agreed that my requirements were within the range for the position. I was told Booz does not typically negotiate salary, but I was able to make a small increase in base salary.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton (Washington, DC) in January 2015.

Interview

I was referred by an employee for a software position. BAH has a website where you fill-in your information for their records prior to the interview. Was called within a week by a recruiter. After 2 general information phone interviews, I was invited for an on-site interview with the technical team. Generally, a suit seemed to be standard attire for employees. The project lead gave me an overview and asked general questions while the technical team asked programming problems: one seeing how I used API calls to solve a problem and the other, a recursive counting problem. Generally, they just are looking for how you think and approach a problem. Take your time and talk through your logic. Overall, they were professional at the interview. Outside the interview, I felt like I needed to be proactive contacting the recruiters, as I fell off their radar unless I followed-up.

Interview Questions

• Solve a logic problem using only API calls   Answer Question
    • Solve a counting problem and describe time complexity of the solution   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 9+ months. I interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton (Washington, DC) in January 2015.

Interview

The process took 8.5 months. Met at a job fair in mid-January. Followed up monthly with the hiring manager. Was told there was a job for me in May, again in July, again in August but each time there was another hiccup. Interviewed with three different people. Finally something materialized in September and I began in October.

Interview Questions

• Explain a situation where you had to balance multiple competing priorities.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was some negotiation back and forth.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton (Honolulu, HI).

Interview

My interview process was minimal. I came in one time and met with a panel of employees who put me through a 40 minute interview. The interview focused on ensuring a cultural fit, once they had their answer I was asked questions to verify my experience that was listed on my resume. A week later I was offered the job.

Interview Questions

• No questions were difficult or unexpected. The questions asked were aimed at identifying qualifications but were mostly focused on ensuring a cultural fit.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I had very little room to negotiate. I was young with little experience and they did not have the contract yet so the demand was less than it would be if they needed an immediate hire to fill a position.