Booz Allen Hamilton Senior Consultant Interview Questions

Updated Sep 30, 2014

2.7

111 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Senior Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton in October 2012.

Phone interview only, but done as a 3-person panel, and then a fourth called individually later. Interviewers understood my military background, asked a few behavioral questions, generally pretty straightforward. Nothing particularly surprising, they weren't trying to ask hard questions but just understand my background and willingness to work hard. Did have a computer app that could be used to show documents, but we didn't use it.

Interview Questions
  • How would you react to working for a person who was your junior in the military?   Answer Question
Offer was generous, didn't seem like there was any room or reason to negotiate so I didn't.

Other Interview Reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton.

The interview process was pretty straightforward. I applied online via BAH's career website and a recruiter called me a couple of days later to schedule a writing assessment and an in-person interview (round robin style). For the writing assessment, I was sent three scenarios and given an hour to choose one and write/complete it. The scenarios included writing an executive summary, a written statement from an acting administrator and a product / website statement. During the round robin interview, I sat in a room with three other candidates and spoke with three interviewers for 30 minutes each -- one covered questions related to technical expertise, consulting experience and leadership. The majority of questions were behavioral (e.g., what would you do if...? if you had a teammate who was falling short, what would you do...?).

Interview Questions
    • They were all pretty straightforward, just be prepared to give examples/case studies. Also speak about collaboration in a matrixed setting, leadership and experience leading teams/people.   Answer Question
    The offer was fair but I asked for 5k more. They couldn't budge but to be honest, I was ok with their first offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton.

The interview went extremely well...it was set up basically like speed dating. I sat in a room and went through 4 sets up interviews (30 min each), where there were 2 with 2 people and 2 with individual people. It was great, not intimidating at all. Mostly talked about my CV, my experiences, the position in particular, and the company as a whole. Enjoyed the process very much...you wouldn't believe how quickly 30 minutes go by though.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton in September 2012.

I was contacted by a recruiter regarding a hiring event they were having at HQ in McLean. Interview started with all the candidates (about 25) in a conference room, not all the candidates were being interview for the same position. A senior Booz employee came in and gave a testimony of his experience at Booz and also answered any questions we may have about the firm. We then broke up and they took us into another room with a bunch of tables. We each sat at a table and then went through three one-on-one 30 minute interview sessions. Questions were mostly about the experience listed on my resume. Some behavioral questions and questions about my interests as well. After the interview sessions, we were checked out by one of the recruiters and told that we would hear back from them soon.

Interview Questions
    • In the next five years, what do you think government customers will be asking for in regards to technology?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aberdeen, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aberdeen, MD

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton in June 2012.

I became interested in the company through a referral and submitted an application on the website. I then connected with recruiter on LinkedIn and was contacted via phone the next day. From there I was scheduled for a web interview with three different teams. The online interview was very stress-free and more of me interviewing them and asking them questions. They value military experience and leadership skills acquired through military.

After the interview, I was transferred to another recruiter for the area I was applying to. He was very hard to get answers from. He would call and give me good news and tell me that he had to get back with the team and would call me back at a given timeline. After the second timeline wasn't met, I began calling him.

I received an offer only after I called and told him that I had another offer that I had to answer by the end of the week. From that point on (for the rest of the day), he was very proactive. He called back within the next hour with an offer. I countered for negotation and was told that they will not be able to get in my range, but they could get closer. Within the hour, they counter-offered highered than what I expected and was in my range.

Interview Questions
    • All standard interview questions. Very stress free. Focus more on questions that you will ask, and ask a lot of questions and show interest.   Answer Question
    I was sent an initial offer lower than my range and was told to compare to my other offer. I called back and told them that my other offer was in my range and would like to negotiate higher. Recruiter told me that he didn't think that he could get me into my range, but could get me closer. He called back an hour later with an offer within my range and higher than my other offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton in June 2012.

I submitted my resume online, received a call from a recruiter the next day, interviewed the next week, and was made an offer the day after my interview. I was really impressed with their efficiency. However, the problems started after I signed my offer letter. I was made an offer for a position on a contractor that technically didn't exist when the offer was made. My recruiter assured me that he would have a start date for me within two weeks of me signing the letter. The guy was incredibly persuasive and I didn't need to leave my current job right away so I figured it would be ok. Two weeks turned into 4. My recruiter then informed me that the contractor was now being competed but he was confident that Booz would win the award and then I could start work. However, this would mean a wait of several months. In the meantime, the recruiter made it clear that I was free to walk away without any negative repercussions and also assured me that other hiring managers had access to my resume in case there were other contracts I was suited for. I've decided to start my job search again. If I could do it again, I wouldn't accept a position on a contract that wasn't firmly held by Booz.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't specific questions in my interview. Mostly they verified what information they knew or assumed from my resume.   Answer Question
    I was not able to negotiate; the recruiter told me very firmly that I had received the best offer they were willing to give.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton in May 2012.

Had initial phone interview then invited to Rockville office for more interviews. Interviews were mainly conversational, interviewers were friendly and took pride in their work. A lot of emphasis on teamwork.

Interview Questions
    • No case studies. Provided overview of their work and asked how I could make a contribution there.   View Answer
    Negotiation is possible, just takes a while.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton in April 2012.

Having worked in the DC area for around 10 years after college, I knew about Booz Allen Hamilton and heard great things about the firm and its people. That being said, after graduate school it was one of my top places to work. The only way I was able to get an interview is through networking. Don't bother applying on the company website, employee referrals is the only way to go. After getting my resume passed along internally, I was contacted by a recruiter who asked very basic questions, such as tell me about your background and why are you interested in BAH. About a week later, they asked me to do a group/panel interview with members of their strategy and organization team via video conference. The group interview was comprised of 30 minute individual meetings, which for the most part, were very straightforward and friendly, although a bit rushed. I was not asked any difficult questions or brain teasers. Everything was behavioral based. They were also interested in my functional skills and leadership experience. Be prepared to pitch yourself and explain why you would be a great fit at the firm.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me how you would go about performing a competitive analysis and how would you convey that information to the client?   Answer Question

The compensation package was competitive, but after learning more about the firm, I was turned off by the idea of working there. Also, the hiring process felt rushed and they wouldn't tell me what projects I would be working on or who my manager would be - so I would essentially be going in blind. Made me feel like just a number as they typically hire hundreds each month and then its sink or swim depending on whether work exists for you by the time you join the firm.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton in March 2012.

I was recruited at my graduate school. My initial interview was in-person with an HR representative. It was a standard HR interview asking me about my interest in the company and preferred salary range. My second set of interviews was with a specific team. I participated in four 30-minute in-person with a different team member. I was asked more specific questions regarding the subject area and previous experience.

Interview Questions
    • All of the questions were fairly standard. The more difficult questions were about the subject area.   Answer Question
    I would highly recommend negotiating as bonuses are not received until you are much higher up (raises tend to be fairly minimal around the cost of living raise unless you are promoted).

Senior Consultant Interview

interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton in March 2012.

My interview process consisted of meeting with 5 consultants for 30 minutes each. Each meeting consisted of a series of situational questions and case studies.