Booz Allen Hamilton

Updated Feb 16, 2015

2.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Riley, KS
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Riley, KS

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton.

The interview process is strange, but thorough. I met with all of the people who would later be in my supervisory chain. The process went fairly quickly (about three and a half weeks), although I suspect they were desperate to hire me because (as I found out later) the last two or three people they'd made offers to had pulled out and they couldn't provide the services they were contracted for.

I don't have a lot more to offer on it, but I will say that they will throw in very bizarre questions or comments in the interviews to see how you react. Occasionally this will involve them throwing in an outright lie to gauge your response. I didn't care for that and found it unprofessional and pointless. I can say this about my interview...they didn't hide what my supervisor was going to be like before I took the job.

Their salary negotiation wasn't bad. They get you to set a ceiling on what you'll accept (aim high, but not much above market because they're cost-conscious these days and will disqualify people immediately for that). They'll also try and get you to negotiate against yourself on salary. Once you state what you want to make, don't bid against yourself...wait for them to make a counter. Took me a couple of days to get mine (they came in a few thousand under)...I gave them a counter of $1000 less than what I initially asked for and they made me wait a week before agreeing to it.

I would say the process was odd, but not particularly daunting. And they handled it fairly quickly, which I respected.

Interview Questions
  • They presented it to me them finding some "troubling" information in my background check, with no clarification, and asked me to expand on it and explain. I told them that to my knowledge there was no problem with my background and that if they wanted an explanation they should tell me what they're talking about. They never brought it up again...I suspect it was just a question designed to rattle my cage to see what happened.   Answer Question
I listed what I wanted, they tried to get me to bid against myself, they presented a low counter, I came back with a thousand less than my initial request, they let me wait a week, then sent an offer. Overall, not too bad...I got what I needed from it and the salary negotiation was professional.

Other Interview Reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton

Senior Consultant Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton in February 2013.

Was contacted by a recruiter for a position for which I was a great fit and in which I had great interest. Proceeded with the interview process with the round-robin method that Booz uses. While the pressure was low and it was a good opportunity to get to know current employees, I do not feel my resume and skills were assessed as fairly as in other interview forums. Each of the 3 interviewers (3 x one on one 30 minute interviews) asked the same questions over and over, and while I tried to highlight different skills in each of my answers, I was told, "It's ok if you give us the same answer." Seemed redundant, and a check in the box for the interviewers who are required to do these round robin interviews in order to advance in their own careers.

Interview Questions
    • "What would you do if you were put in a position where giving the 'right answer' to the client would mean sacrificing future business for the company down the road?"   View Answer

Salary offer was FAR below market range and my qualifications as a candidate with an active clearance and a master's degree. I attempted to negotiate (and clearly gave my reasoning why I expected a higher salary-- one of which was because my initial incruiter gave me a range that was $15k more than what was offered!), but was stonewalled and told repeatedly that their offer was the best they could do. No sign-on bonus was offered, either. Even more than this, however, was the rude manner in which I was treated by HR after the offer was extended. When I asked to speak to the hiring manager, I was told that wasn't possible because he preferred candidates to deal directly with a recruiter. Totally unexpected and NOT indicative of a professional and ethical consulting firm.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springfield, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springfield, VA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton in January 2013.

Was approached by a number of recruiters who seemed to be unaware of each other, from different parts of Booz. I picked one, and engaged them. They referred me to a number of project leaders. We had good conversations/phone interviews. I wasn't really asked any technical 'quiz' style questions besides chatting about my old projects and skills. After a week or two, the recruiter said the responses from my 'interviews' were all very positive and they were going to make me an offer. I'm not sure if they were confused and thought I had already come in for an in-person interview or more in-depth technical interview, but whatever. I wasn't going to look a gift horse in the mouth.

Anyway, kind of disorganized, but I wasn't really in a rush or particular, and it turned out well for me.

Interview Questions
    • What are some projects you worked on? What technologies did you use?   Answer Question
    They seemed willing to go higher and 'work with me', as most recruiters will say. But, they convinced me to go with a higher signing bonus and less salary, as a higher salary (90k or above) would make me 'less marketable' in the company. Who knows if it was the truth.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton in November 2012.

I went to a few recruiting event at school that Booz employees attended to network and after applying was I had a hour long phone interview. After the phone interview I was brought in with a group of other students and I had a round of 3 interviews back to back. I received an offer about 2 weeks after my last interview.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the questions were standard. I can't remember anything particularly difficult. Just do your homework on the company, the group you want to work in, why you want to work for Booz (what they think makes them special) and research the people who will be interviewing you on Linkedin, etc.   Answer Question
    I gave them a $20k salary range during the interview that was pretty conservative and was offered $10k less than the low end of my range. I asked for something in the range and was told, no. I was only able to get $5k more after telling them I would decline the offer without it. No bonus.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton in November 2012.

The interview process went very smoothly. I initially had a phone screen and then was scheduled for an interview with several other applicants. You aren't interviewed together, but you do get an opportunity to meet other applicants before your interviews. Take time to get to know them if you can - they may be your future colleagues. Each applicant was assigned a room and interviewers cycled in and out. Most of the interview questions I received were behavioral, but I also received one case question. Overall, the interviews were more of a conversation about my experience and how I could add value to the firm.

Interview Questions
    • How would you determine how many trees are in Central Park?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Belcamp, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Belcamp, MD

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton in November 2012.

- Initial contact made by a company recruiter who then hands it off to a site/ job specific recruiter.
    - Interviews are round robin style with many other candidates. You get a desk with a stack of your resumes while Sr. Associates and Principals come around and talk to you about positions they have open and are looking to fill.
    - Can be a bit of an information vacuum after the interview so it is incumbent on you to follow up.

Interview Questions
    • Typically a free flowing discussion not a stock template of questions that you are answering.   Answer Question
    Negotiate directly with recruiter, compensation is usually above average so they don't have much wiggle room.

Senior Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton in October 2012.

Phone interview only, but done as a 3-person panel, and then a fourth called individually later. Interviewers understood my military background, asked a few behavioral questions, generally pretty straightforward. Nothing particularly surprising, they weren't trying to ask hard questions but just understand my background and willingness to work hard. Did have a computer app that could be used to show documents, but we didn't use it.

Interview Questions
    • How would you react to working for a person who was your junior in the military?   Answer Question
    Offer was generous, didn't seem like there was any room or reason to negotiate so I didn't.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton.

The interview process was pretty straightforward. I applied online via BAH's career website and a recruiter called me a couple of days later to schedule a writing assessment and an in-person interview (round robin style). For the writing assessment, I was sent three scenarios and given an hour to choose one and write/complete it. The scenarios included writing an executive summary, a written statement from an acting administrator and a product / website statement. During the round robin interview, I sat in a room with three other candidates and spoke with three interviewers for 30 minutes each -- one covered questions related to technical expertise, consulting experience and leadership. The majority of questions were behavioral (e.g., what would you do if...? if you had a teammate who was falling short, what would you do...?).

Interview Questions
    • They were all pretty straightforward, just be prepared to give examples/case studies. Also speak about collaboration in a matrixed setting, leadership and experience leading teams/people.   Answer Question
    The offer was fair but I asked for 5k more. They couldn't budge but to be honest, I was ok with their first offer.

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton.

The interview went extremely well...it was set up basically like speed dating. I sat in a room and went through 4 sets up interviews (30 min each), where there were 2 with 2 people and 2 with individual people. It was great, not intimidating at all. Mostly talked about my CV, my experiences, the position in particular, and the company as a whole. Enjoyed the process very much...you wouldn't believe how quickly 30 minutes go by though.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton in September 2012.

I was contacted by a recruiter regarding a hiring event they were having at HQ in McLean. Interview started with all the candidates (about 25) in a conference room, not all the candidates were being interview for the same position. A senior Booz employee came in and gave a testimony of his experience at Booz and also answered any questions we may have about the firm. We then broke up and they took us into another room with a bunch of tables. We each sat at a table and then went through three one-on-one 30 minute interview sessions. Questions were mostly about the experience listed on my resume. Some behavioral questions and questions about my interests as well. After the interview sessions, we were checked out by one of the recruiters and told that we would hear back from them soon.

Interview Questions
    • In the next five years, what do you think government customers will be asking for in regards to technology?   Answer Question