Borders Bookseller Interview Questions

Updated Aug 3, 2015

2.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Germantown, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Borders (Germantown, MD) in September 2011.

Interview

I was in a group interview for my first interview. Along with all of the other candidates we discussed books and interests. Second interview was with two members of management who asked me more dedicated questions about work and ethic.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Borders

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Southgate, MI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Borders (Southgate, MI) in August 2011.

Interview

One interview with manager.

Interview Questions

• What is a time that you were expected to provide excellent customer service in a negative situation?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Borders (Pleasanton, CA) in July 2010.

Interview

There was one group interview, after which I was offered a position. Customer service experience was a key factor.

Interview Questions

• What is your biggest weakness?   1 Answer
    • What steps would you take to control shrink?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Borders (New York, NY) in January 2010.

Interview

I submitted an online application and customer service exam. I received a telephone call the next day from the training supervisor asking me to come in for an interview. Had a great interview with him and shortly after (within a few minutes) had a similar interview with an Ops Manager. Received an offer the next day.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Borders (Atlanta, GA) in October 2009.

Interview

I had applied online several weeks prior to being called. I received a phone call from the assistant manager who did a brief phone interview and scheduled an in-store interview. That interview went on for more than an hour. I was then scheduled for a 2nd interview with the actual manager, which took place the following week. This also went on for over an hour. Ridiculously redundant, everything could have been wrapped up in one interview. If only the real manager has the final say, then that person should be conducting all interviews instead of wasting candidates' time and the company's time.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had something very challenging to handle, and how did you deal with it?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a time you had a difficult customer and how did you handle it?   1 Answer

Negotiation

What negotiation? The position pays $8.00 an hour, take it or leave it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Borders (Houston, TX) in October 2009.

Interview

I went to a job fair at a local staffing agency and was interviewed by the general manager. She asked me why I wanted to work at Borders, what my work history was like, and what kind of books I liked and to what degree. That was it. I was offered a job that day.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was not able to negotiate, but I did receive a (small) raise every review period.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Borders (Vancouver, WA) in November 2008.

Interview

This is overall a fun place to work. During the interview they asked about what books I was currently reading and what CD's I had in my car...then they asked me to "sell" them one of the items as if they were a customer. I interviewed with the general manager and two assistant managers. It was a little intimidating but they just want to make sure that you are comfortable with face to face interaction. Be ready to answer a bunch of scenario questions such as what would you do if....a customer was angry about blah blah blah those sorts of things.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I did not negotiate my pay but my advice is to tell them you are interested in working in the cafe, they pay more there than out on the floor.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mayaguez, PR

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Borders (Mayaguez, PR) in October 2008.

Interview

Was interviewed by two managers. Asked what success meant to me.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Flexible.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Borders (Chicago, IL) in August 2007.

Interview

Very conversational and friendly. We even had coffee during the interview. Probably one of the more pleasant interviews I attended.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

The hourly rate of pay was set already, and relatively non-negotiable.

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Borders in August 2011.

Interview

Came in to turn in a paper application and asked for a manager. Sat down with store manager for 20 minutes and interviewed for job.

Interview Questions

• What is your availablility   1 Answer
    • What is your experience in retail/bookselling?   1 Answer