Borders Bookseller Interview Questions

2.3

10 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Southgate, MI
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Southgate, MI

I applied in-person. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Borders in August 2011.

One interview with manager.

Interview Questions
  • What is a time that you were expected to provide excellent customer service in a negative situation?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Borders

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Borders in July 2010.

There was one group interview, after which I was offered a position. Customer service experience was a key factor.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Borders in January 2010.

I submitted an online application and customer service exam. I received a telephone call the next day from the training supervisor asking me to come in for an interview. Had a great interview with him and shortly after (within a few minutes) had a similar interview with an Ops Manager. Received an offer the next day.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Borders in October 2009.

I had applied online several weeks prior to being called. I received a phone call from the assistant manager who did a brief phone interview and scheduled an in-store interview. That interview went on for more than an hour. I was then scheduled for a 2nd interview with the actual manager, which took place the following week. This also went on for over an hour. Ridiculously redundant, everything could have been wrapped up in one interview. If only the real manager has the final say, then that person should be conducting all interviews instead of wasting candidates' time and the company's time.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had something very challenging to handle, and how did you deal with it?   View Answer
    • Tell me about a time you had a difficult customer and how did you handle it?   View Answer
    What negotiation? The position pays $8.00 an hour, take it or leave it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

The process took a dayinterviewed at Borders in October 2009.

I went to a job fair at a local staffing agency and was interviewed by the general manager. She asked me why I wanted to work at Borders, what my work history was like, and what kind of books I liked and to what degree. That was it. I was offered a job that day.

Interview Questions
    I was not able to negotiate, but I did receive a (small) raise every review period.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, WA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Borders in November 2008.

This is overall a fun place to work. During the interview they asked about what books I was currently reading and what CD's I had in my car...then they asked me to "sell" them one of the items as if they were a customer. I interviewed with the general manager and two assistant managers. It was a little intimidating but they just want to make sure that you are comfortable with face to face interaction. Be ready to answer a bunch of scenario questions such as what would you do if....a customer was angry about blah blah blah those sorts of things.

Interview Questions
    I did not negotiate my pay but my advice is to tell them you are interested in working in the cafe, they pay more there than out on the floor.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mayaguez, PR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mayaguez, PR

The process took a dayinterviewed at Borders in October 2008.

Was interviewed by two managers. Asked what success meant to me.

Flexible.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Borders in August 2007.

Very conversational and friendly. We even had coffee during the interview. Probably one of the more pleasant interviews I attended.

Interview Questions
    The hourly rate of pay was set already, and relatively non-negotiable.

Bookseller Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Borders in August 2011.

Came in to turn in a paper application and asked for a manager. Sat down with store manager for 20 minutes and interviewed for job.

Bookseller Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Borders in January 2008.

I applied to work at one location, but was contacted by another location about a week later. They asked if I was interested, and set up a time for an interview a couple of days later. At the interview, I was asked about my previous work experience, a time when I have dealt with difficult customers, etc. I was called back about a week later with a job offer.

Interview Questions
    • How would you deal with a customer who was being difficult?   Answer Question