Borders

Very Easy Interview

Cafe Seller Interview

Cafe Seller
Coeur d'Alene, ID

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Borders in July 2010.

Interview Details – I received a call from the GM of the store. He asked if I was available for an interview the following day. I accepted and was pretty excited.

When I walked in, I was not greeted by anyone in particular. I walked to the cashier and told him I was looking for the GM. He sent me to the Customer Service desk and said he would radio the GM and announce my arrival. I was about 3 minutes early. So I stood at the desk. and stood at the desk. and stood at the desk. For 17 minutes. I was wearing my lucky, sky high, interview heels so believe me I counted every minute. When the GM finally arrived he apologized for his tardiness with the excuse of a telephone call. (After being employed with the store I found out that the "tardy-ness" was due to a ritual of having every employee working that day do a 'drive-by' of the potential candidate.)

The GM escorted me ,not to a back room, but paraded me through the customers of the day that were seated in the cafe section. Talk about an audience for my personal information that was spread across the table. We sat and began the interview. The GM then began to ask the general questions. My past employers. My skills and abilities. "Give me an example of a time when..." It was normal. But what was not normal was that about every other minute the GM would hold a hand up to me, in a stop talking manner, to listen and direct the constant chatter pouring out of the handheld radio connected to the GMs ear. It caused me to lose my train of thought almost every time. Plus it was super aggravating. We concluded the interview with a handshake and the promise of a phone call.

The next day I received said phone call and was asked to return to meet with the GMs second in command. I arrived and went straight to the Customer Service desk where I was instructed to wait again. I had learned and wore flat shoes. Turns out there was no need for the change in footwear because I was greeted promptly by the Second-in-Command. The Second directed me to the same table as before and dove right into conversation by educating me on the open position. Basics like Compensation, Hours, Duties and Responsibilities. Thankfully the Seconds radio remained in the off position for the duration of the interview. The Second was clear and concise. Afterwards The GM approached and had a hushed conversation with the Second. Then they offered me the position with smiles. I accepted.

One of the most Idiotic things I have ever done.

Interview Question – What was the latest book I have read!   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Not even almost. There was the position open and it was made clear to me that other people would take the offer immediately. I needed the work so I just took it. My advice would be to actually read the fine print.

Very Easy Interview

Cafe Seller Interview

Cafe Seller

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Borders in October 2008.

Interview Details – After completing an online application I was called in for a formal interview. The store manager explained what my job description would be and since he had already checked my qualifications. He said he would talk to the other managers and then offered the job. the interview process was professional, to the point and efficient. It did require a not too terribly thorough background check and a drug test at a local clinic. The people at this store represent a lot of diversity and is a fun place to work if you can let yourself not be too bothered by the overt corporate culture. Provide great customer service, have fun meeting new people and make it a fun job. Being around books and people does a little bit to make up for the really low pay. It is pretty easy to get a part time job here, full time positions are harder to come by. The company like every other company these days needs to get as much out of their employees as they can.

Interview Question – No difficult or unexpected questions were asked.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – During the interview there was no talk of compensation, but I already knew the parameters going into this deal. I was offered a bit higher than I expected...good news.

Worked for Borders? Contribute to the Community!