Borders

Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
Highland Park, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Borders.

Interview Details – Hiring was relaxed, interview was detailed including my ability to relate to customers in a friendly way. I was Johnny-on-the-Spot so had to change gears and do it quickly.

Interview Question – What animal was I most like and why?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I accepted.

IPT Interview

IPT
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Borders in April 2008.

Interview Details – The application process was much more grueling than the interviewing process. Borders only accepts online applications, and the application is quite lengthy and includes a personality test; you will show up as a red, yellow or green "light" on Borders' hiring site, based on how you answered the questions (these days, the company seems to care more about an outgoing, engaging personality than the applicant being literate). If you are applying for a non-management position, you are required to apply to a specific store, but after a period of about a month, if that store has taken no action on your application, it will be released to the broad area.

I was called for an interview with a store other than the one I'd applied for, perhaps two months after initially applying. The interviewer, who was the Training Supervisor, was dressed very casually and seemed sort of bored with the whole process, reading very standard questions from the paper she had in front of her (such as "What are you reading right now?" and "Why do you want to work here?"), as well as some of the more obnoxious questions interviewers always seem to ask (like "What is a conflict you've encountered in the workplace, and how did you resolve it?" and "What is your greatest weakness?). I was told that the position I'd applied for, Inventory Processing Team, was full, but that there were openings for booksellers. I didn't feel that I was particularly coherent or impressive, but I was called back for a second interview with the General Manager, probably due to my extensive bookstore background. The second interview was even more casual than the first, the GM and I mostly just yakking about things we had in common, things she knew about the school I'd attended, etc.

I was offered the job shortly thereafter, and the two nitwits I went through training with were reason enough for me to realize I was more than qualified for the position.

Interview Question – What kind of books do you like to read?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Completely non-negotiable. Trying to get any money out of Borders is a losing battle.

Bookseller Interview

Bookseller
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Borders in August 2007.

Interview Details – Very conversational and friendly. We even had coffee during the interview. Probably one of the more pleasant interviews I attended.

Interview Question – What are your weaknesses?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – The hourly rate of pay was set already, and relatively non-negotiable.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Borders? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Borders interview questions and advice in Chicago, IL. All 3 interview reviews posted anonymously by Borders employees and interview candidates.