Borders

Borders General Manager Interview Questions

3 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Borders in July 2007.

Had an interview with the District Manager outside the store. Asked a series of questions related to management as well as bookstore retail. Focused a lot on managing people, getting the job done. I was offered a chance to ask questions of the interviewer as well. I was offered a position within one week of interview.

Interview Questions
  • Tell me about a time when you had to take care of a difficult customer.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Borders

General Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Borders in September 2009.

Was a very long and thorough process. Several phone and in person interviews with General Managers and the District Manager. Very liberal employees and culture within the company.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time where you had to use performance management to turn around an employee. How did you do it and what were your results?   Answer Question
    • Give me an example of a time you had to roll out a message from corporate that you knew your employees would be reluctanct towards. How did you deliver it and did you have any push back?   Answer Question
    Not much to negotiate. They gave me the max and I was making more then any other GM in the district.

General Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Borders in June 2009.

Borders had a thorough interview process. There were many situational questions about possible work situations and they asked questions about previous work experience. I visited several stores to see what the environment was like and to see how the morale was in the stores. The DM interviewed me for about an hour and a half and asked what my favorite books and movies were. We also discussed music and customer service. Overall it was a good experience and it led to my being hires soon after that.

no negotiations