Borders

64 candidate interviews

Sales Manager Interview

Sales Manager

Interviewed at Borders

Interview Details – I was promoted within from cafe manager but was required to interview with the District Manager. Even though it was internal, I still dressed in "business casual". Questions were basic retail management questions and many "tell me about a time you..." Most of the questions she asked were on the company's internal site, so I was able to prepare beforehand.

Interview Question – What negative things do you think people say about you behind your back?   Answer Question

Operations Manager Interview

Operations Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Borders.

Interview Details – The most challenging part of the hiring process was always the length of time it took from initial job posting to the position getting filled. Often times, candidates never heard a position was filled and they did not get the job. I just feel that's disrespectful to the candidates.

Interview Question – The interview process was fairly standard - it was a cookie cutter interview process straight from the HR book.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was really no ability to negotiate as an internal candidate. External candidates consistently earned a higher entry level amount than candidates promoted internally with the same experience.

Barista Interview

Barista

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Borders.

Interview Details – Short 5 minute interview...got the job

Interview Question – They were all fairly easy, I think I had the job before I walked in   Answer Question

President Interview

President

I applied online and interviewed at Borders.

Interview Details – the hiring process was a bit awkward. Lots of people who did not know anything aksing questions like they actually knew what they were doing. It is apparent that this company wa going down because they didn't promote based on what you could do but rather on weather or not they liked you. They cause a lot of people to hold positions that they were not qualified for. A lot of people had a lot of power without and of the skills or qualifications. They alos treated the people at store level like dirt. That is where their money was coming from to pay their salaries.

Interview Question – The most difficult question was if I would like to relocate. I didn't like the area but accepted anyway. its hard to find people who will move to this part of the country.   Answer Question

Cafe Clerk Interview

Cafe Clerk

Interviewed at Borders

Interview Details – This company is out of business now so I hardly think this info is relevant to anyone anymore. But the process was pretty average with a test of knowledge about music and books, even though the position I interviewed for was the café.

Children's Department Lead Interview

Children's Department Lead
Grand Junction, CO

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Borders.

Interview Details – The interview was easy. I talked to the manager one on one briefly. It was pretty laid back and didn't ask anything strange or difficult. I told her how much I loved books and working with kids. I had some library experience, worked as a preschool teacher, and had a degree in early childhood education- which helped me.

Interview Question – Nothing was difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. She said it was all they could offer.

Cashier/Bookseller Interview

Cashier/Bookseller

The process took a day - interviewed at Borders in May 2011.

Interview Details – The interview was super informal with the sales manager. He told me he was going to ask me the same 5 questions he had asked all the other potential candidates and that he also would not look at my employment history until after my interview during the decision phase. Both of these statements seemed a little odd to me but since it is a part time retail position I really shouldn't expect they care much about administrative skills I suppose. I wasn't really even asked anything about books or my interest in them. I would say staying cheerful and engaging during the interview and focusing the discussion on your customer service skills would be the best path in a Borders' interview. I was called less than two hours after my interview with a job offer. None of my references were called and I highly doubt they did a background check during that time.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. I was hired as a part time, temporary position.

Barista Interview

Barista

The process took a day - interviewed at Borders in July 2008.

Interview Details – It is easiest to become a regular customer first and then apply for the job. I befriended an employee and got her to recommend me for the job. My interview was just a formality as I already had barista experience and a recommendation from an employee in good standing. I had one ten minute interview and started work two days later. The process was simple and quick.

Interview Question – What is your worst trait as an employee?   Answer Question

Cafe Seller Interview

Cafe Seller
Coeur d'Alene, ID

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Borders in July 2010.

Interview Details – I received a call from the GM of the store. He asked if I was available for an interview the following day. I accepted and was pretty excited.

When I walked in, I was not greeted by anyone in particular. I walked to the cashier and told him I was looking for the GM. He sent me to the Customer Service desk and said he would radio the GM and announce my arrival. I was about 3 minutes early. So I stood at the desk. and stood at the desk. and stood at the desk. For 17 minutes. I was wearing my lucky, sky high, interview heels so believe me I counted every minute. When the GM finally arrived he apologized for his tardiness with the excuse of a telephone call. (After being employed with the store I found out that the "tardy-ness" was due to a ritual of having every employee working that day do a 'drive-by' of the potential candidate.)

The GM escorted me ,not to a back room, but paraded me through the customers of the day that were seated in the cafe section. Talk about an audience for my personal information that was spread across the table. We sat and began the interview. The GM then began to ask the general questions. My past employers. My skills and abilities. "Give me an example of a time when..." It was normal. But what was not normal was that about every other minute the GM would hold a hand up to me, in a stop talking manner, to listen and direct the constant chatter pouring out of the handheld radio connected to the GMs ear. It caused me to lose my train of thought almost every time. Plus it was super aggravating. We concluded the interview with a handshake and the promise of a phone call.

The next day I received said phone call and was asked to return to meet with the GMs second in command. I arrived and went straight to the Customer Service desk where I was instructed to wait again. I had learned and wore flat shoes. Turns out there was no need for the change in footwear because I was greeted promptly by the Second-in-Command. The Second directed me to the same table as before and dove right into conversation by educating me on the open position. Basics like Compensation, Hours, Duties and Responsibilities. Thankfully the Seconds radio remained in the off position for the duration of the interview. The Second was clear and concise. Afterwards The GM approached and had a hushed conversation with the Second. Then they offered me the position with smiles. I accepted.

One of the most Idiotic things I have ever done.

Interview Question – What was the latest book I have read!   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Not even almost. There was the position open and it was made clear to me that other people would take the offer immediately. I needed the work so I just took it. My advice would be to actually read the fine print.

Cafe Seller Interview

Cafe Seller

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Borders in October 2008.

Interview Details – After completing an online application I was called in for a formal interview. The store manager explained what my job description would be and since he had already checked my qualifications. He said he would talk to the other managers and then offered the job. the interview process was professional, to the point and efficient. It did require a not too terribly thorough background check and a drug test at a local clinic. The people at this store represent a lot of diversity and is a fun place to work if you can let yourself not be too bothered by the overt corporate culture. Provide great customer service, have fun meeting new people and make it a fun job. Being around books and people does a little bit to make up for the really low pay. It is pretty easy to get a part time job here, full time positions are harder to come by. The company like every other company these days needs to get as much out of their employees as they can.

Interview Question – No difficult or unexpected questions were asked.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – During the interview there was no talk of compensation, but I already knew the parameters going into this deal. I was offered a bit higher than I expected...good news.

Worked for Borders? Contribute to the Community!