Borders

Updated Sep 19, 2014
Updated Sep 19, 2014

2.2

Operations Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Borders.

The most challenging part of the hiring process was always the length of time it took from initial job posting to the position getting filled. Often times, candidates never heard a position was filled and they did not get the job. I just feel that's disrespectful to the candidates.

Interview Questions
    • The interview process was fairly standard - it was a cookie cutter interview process straight from the HR book.   Answer Question
    There was really no ability to negotiate as an internal candidate. External candidates consistently earned a higher entry level amount than candidates promoted internally with the same experience.

Sales Manager Interview

I was promoted within from cafe manager but was required to interview with the District Manager. Even though it was internal, I still dressed in "business casual". Questions were basic retail management questions and many "tell me about a time you..." Most of the questions she asked were on the company's internal site, so I was able to prepare beforehand.

Interview Questions
    • What negative things do you think people say about you behind your back?   Answer Question

Barista Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Borders.

Short 5 minute interview...got the job

Interview Questions
    • They were all fairly easy, I think I had the job before I walked in   Answer Question

President Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Borders.

the hiring process was a bit awkward. Lots of people who did not know anything aksing questions like they actually knew what they were doing. It is apparent that this company wa going down because they didn't promote based on what you could do but rather on weather or not they liked you. They cause a lot of people to hold positions that they were not qualified for. A lot of people had a lot of power without and of the skills or qualifications. They alos treated the people at store level like dirt. That is where their money was coming from to pay their salaries.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was if I would like to relocate. I didn't like the area but accepted anyway. its hard to find people who will move to this part of the country.   Answer Question

Cafe Clerk Interview

This company is out of business now so I hardly think this info is relevant to anyone anymore. But the process was pretty average with a test of knowledge about music and books, even though the position I interviewed for was the café.

Children's Department Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Junction, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Junction, CO

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Borders.

The interview was easy. I talked to the manager one on one briefly. It was pretty laid back and didn't ask anything strange or difficult. I told her how much I loved books and working with kids. I had some library experience, worked as a preschool teacher, and had a degree in early childhood education- which helped me.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation. She said it was all they could offer.

Senior Programmer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Borders in May 2008.

Easy technical questions, interviewer did not have adequate skills so it was all easy

Negotiate salary and don't think you will not get more

Cafe Seller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coeur d'Alene, ID

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Borders in July 2010.

I received a call from the GM of the store. He asked if I was available for an interview the following day. I accepted and was pretty excited.

When I walked in, I was not greeted by anyone in particular. I walked to the cashier and told him I was looking for the GM. He sent me to the Customer Service desk and said he would radio the GM and announce my arrival. I was about 3 minutes early. So I stood at the desk. and stood at the desk. and stood at the desk. For 17 minutes. I was wearing my lucky, sky high, interview heels so believe me I counted every minute. When the GM finally arrived he apologized for his tardiness with the excuse of a telephone call. (After being employed with the store I found out that the "tardy-ness" was due to a ritual of having every employee working that day do a 'drive-by' of the potential candidate.)

The GM escorted me ,not to a back room, but paraded me through the customers of the day that were seated in the cafe section. Talk about an audience for my personal information that was spread across the table. We sat and began the interview. The GM then began to ask the general questions. My past employers. My skills and abilities. "Give me an example of a time when..." It was normal. But what was not normal was that about every other minute the GM would hold a hand up to me, in a stop talking manner, to listen and direct the constant chatter pouring out of the handheld radio connected to the GMs ear. It caused me to lose my train of thought almost every time. Plus it was super aggravating. We concluded the interview with a handshake and the promise of a phone call.

The next day I received said phone call and was asked to return to meet with the GMs second in command. I arrived and went straight to the Customer Service desk where I was instructed to wait again. I had learned and wore flat shoes. Turns out there was no need for the change in footwear because I was greeted promptly by the Second-in-Command. The Second directed me to the same table as before and dove right into conversation by educating me on the open position. Basics like Compensation, Hours, Duties and Responsibilities. Thankfully the Seconds radio remained in the off position for the duration of the interview. The Second was clear and concise. Afterwards The GM approached and had a hushed conversation with the Second. Then they offered me the position with smiles. I accepted.

One of the most Idiotic things I have ever done.

Interview Questions
    Not even almost. There was the position open and it was made clear to me that other people would take the offer immediately. I needed the work so I just took it. My advice would be to actually read the fine print.

Bookseller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

The process took a dayinterviewed at Borders in October 2009.

I went to a job fair at a local staffing agency and was interviewed by the general manager. She asked me why I wanted to work at Borders, what my work history was like, and what kind of books I liked and to what degree. That was it. I was offered a job that day.

Interview Questions
    I was not able to negotiate, but I did receive a (small) raise every review period.

Cafe Seller Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Borders in October 2008.

After completing an online application I was called in for a formal interview. The store manager explained what my job description would be and since he had already checked my qualifications. He said he would talk to the other managers and then offered the job. the interview process was professional, to the point and efficient. It did require a not too terribly thorough background check and a drug test at a local clinic. The people at this store represent a lot of diversity and is a fun place to work if you can let yourself not be too bothered by the overt corporate culture. Provide great customer service, have fun meeting new people and make it a fun job. Being around books and people does a little bit to make up for the really low pay. It is pretty easy to get a part time job here, full time positions are harder to come by. The company like every other company these days needs to get as much out of their employees as they can.

Interview Questions
    During the interview there was no talk of compensation, but I already knew the parameters going into this deal. I was offered a bit higher than I expected...good news.