Borders Interview Questions

2.2

Cashier/Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Borders in October 2010.

Interview

Applied online and received call back about 2 days later. Met with the store manager and had a casual interview in the dining section of the coffee place. He asked me about 5 standard questions and since I was a student, didn't require background check or drug test.

Interview Questions

• How would you a handle a difficult or rude customer?   1 Answer

Negotiation

None. I got paid the minimum wage blues.

Cashier/Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Borders (Avondale, AZ).

Interview

This was back in 2008 when applications were still in paper format with some being online, hence I filled out the form after inquiring as to any openings, returned same day; within a week was called to see if I was still interested which I was; two days later an in-person interview on one of their cafe tables surrounded by customers and employees, the questions of why would I want to work for Borders, what are my interests, where do I see myself half a decade hence, how long would I be willing to work for them-short/long term and if I was interested in moving up the corporate ladder. The lady conducting the interview was smiling, relaxed and very friendly-she was happy that I had questions of my own for her.

Interview Questions

• Due to being six years ago, I cannot answer this question.   Answer Question

Cafe Clerk Interview

Interview

This company is out of business now so I hardly think this info is relevant to anyone anymore. But the process was pretty average with a test of knowledge about music and books, even though the position I interviewed for was the café.

President Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Borders.

Interview

the hiring process was a bit awkward. Lots of people who did not know anything aksing questions like they actually knew what they were doing. It is apparent that this company wa going down because they didn't promote based on what you could do but rather on weather or not they liked you. They cause a lot of people to hold positions that they were not qualified for. A lot of people had a lot of power without and of the skills or qualifications. They alos treated the people at store level like dirt. That is where their money was coming from to pay their salaries.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question was if I would like to relocate. I didn't like the area but accepted anyway. its hard to find people who will move to this part of the country.   Answer Question

Bookseller/Barista Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Borders (East Brunswick, NJ).

Interview

Had a one round interview, first with the hiring manager/asst. manager, who then lead me to meet the store manager. Once approved by the store manager, I met the heads of the three different departments (music/cafe, cash/wrap, books). They decided where I would fit best but explained that I would end up working all over the store regardless.

Interview Questions

• They asked me how to handle customers in difficult situations i.e. during a mis-handled purchase, a botched return, angry customer that felt mistreated by employee, etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I felt that the offer was generous for the work needed but I felt that I would not be able to negotiate.

Book Seller Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Borders (Canoga Park, CA) in July 2009.

Interview

They ask about sales experience and literature knowledge.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Borders (Highland Park, IL).

Interview

Hiring was relaxed, interview was detailed including my ability to relate to customers in a friendly way. I was Johnny-on-the-Spot so had to change gears and do it quickly.

Interview Questions

• What animal was I most like and why?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I accepted.

Cashier Interview

Application

interviewed at Borders (Rockville, MD) in June 2009.

Interview

Easy interview and relatively quick process as HR contacted 2 weeks after submitting application in store. Manager of the store was courteous and asked the usual questions in reference to interests in books and media and what my favorite topics and areas of expertise were.

Interview Questions

• If you had your choice of being a potato, rock or apple, which would you be?   1 Answer

pay was too low

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Borders (Southgate, MI) in August 2011.

Interview

One interview with manager.

Interview Questions

• What is a time that you were expected to provide excellent customer service in a negative situation?   Answer Question

Barista Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Borders.

Interview

Short 5 minute interview...got the job

Interview Questions

• They were all fairly easy, I think I had the job before I walked in   Answer Question