Borders Interview Questions

2.2

Cashier/Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Borders in October 2010.

Interview

Applied online and received call back about 2 days later. Met with the store manager and had a casual interview in the dining section of the coffee place. He asked me about 5 standard questions and since I was a student, didn't require background check or drug test.

Interview Questions

• How would you a handle a difficult or rude customer?   1 Answer

Negotiation

None. I got paid the minimum wage blues.

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Borders (Cleveland, OH) in September 2010.

Interview

Position listed as Seasonal Sales Associate/Cashier. I applied online and received a call within 4 days for a 1:1 interview. The interview was very short, less than 20 minutes start to finish. Interviewer confirmed work history as listed on my application.

Interview Questions

• "Have you ever had a job with performance standards and if so, please describe"   Answer Question
    • "Have you ever received negative feedback from a supervisor, if so what was it and how did you handle it"   Answer Question
    • "What do you think is the most important skill for this position"   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was none. The online process asks you to choose the range of compensation you will accept. I was offered the lower amount of the range I chose. As it is seasonal and I had no experience in this field I accepted it.

Team Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Borders in August 2010.

Interview

It went pretty well. Management seemed nice and emphasized sales goals and customer service.

Bookseller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Borders (Pleasanton, CA) in July 2010.

Interview

There was one group interview, after which I was offered a position. Customer service experience was a key factor.

Interview Questions

• What is your biggest weakness?   1 Answer
    • What steps would you take to control shrink?   1 Answer

Cafe Seller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coeur d'Alene, ID

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Borders (Coeur d'Alene, ID) in July 2010.

Interview

I received a call from the GM of the store. He asked if I was available for an interview the following day. I accepted and was pretty excited.

When I walked in, I was not greeted by anyone in particular. I walked to the cashier and told him I was looking for the GM. He sent me to the Customer Service desk and said he would radio the GM and announce my arrival. I was about 3 minutes early. So I stood at the desk. and stood at the desk. and stood at the desk. For 17 minutes. I was wearing my lucky, sky high, interview heels so believe me I counted every minute. When the GM finally arrived he apologized for his tardiness with the excuse of a telephone call. (After being employed with the store I found out that the "tardy-ness" was due to a ritual of having every employee working that day do a 'drive-by' of the potential candidate.)

The GM escorted me ,not to a back room, but paraded me through the customers of the day that were seated in the cafe section. Talk about an audience for my personal information that was spread across the table. We sat and began the interview. The GM then began to ask the general questions. My past employers. My skills and abilities. "Give me an example of a time when..." It was normal. But what was not normal was that about every other minute the GM would hold a hand up to me, in a stop talking manner, to listen and direct the constant chatter pouring out of the handheld radio connected to the GMs ear. It caused me to lose my train of thought almost every time. Plus it was super aggravating. We concluded the interview with a handshake and the promise of a phone call.

The next day I received said phone call and was asked to return to meet with the GMs second in command. I arrived and went straight to the Customer Service desk where I was instructed to wait again. I had learned and wore flat shoes. Turns out there was no need for the change in footwear because I was greeted promptly by the Second-in-Command. The Second directed me to the same table as before and dove right into conversation by educating me on the open position. Basics like Compensation, Hours, Duties and Responsibilities. Thankfully the Seconds radio remained in the off position for the duration of the interview. The Second was clear and concise. Afterwards The GM approached and had a hushed conversation with the Second. Then they offered me the position with smiles. I accepted.

One of the most Idiotic things I have ever done.

Interview Questions

• What was the latest book I have read!   1 Answer

Negotiation

Not even almost. There was the position open and it was made clear to me that other people would take the offer immediately. I needed the work so I just took it. My advice would be to actually read the fine print.

Barista Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Borders (Tucson, AZ) in May 2010.

Interview

Called to come in for a group interview with the store manager and cafe manager. Ask typical interview questions (name positive, negative about yourself etc.). They were looking someone to fill in for typical retail hours and offered after only one interview. Positive process overall.

Cashier/Bookseller Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Borders (New York, NY) in May 2010.

Interview

I met with the hiring manager and the store manager. Very normal questions. After the fact, they checked my references. The hiring manager was straightforward, and she knew the stress questions. Expect that the store manager is vague, unclear, and wordy in comparison to his hiring manager.

Interview Questions

I needed full-time, not part-time work; they needed an answer to whether I would work for them in less than 24 hours.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Torrance, CA

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Borders (Torrance, CA) in March 2010.

Interview

I was called by the manager and we scheduled a date form y interview. I arrived right on time but had to wait twenty minutes for my interviewer to show up. Then when we finally had the interview he had me sign papers. But then the whole thing went down the drain when I told him my age: 16 1/2. He told me they had a 18 and older policy. But what I don't understand is, my age and birthday, mind you, was everywhere on my application. Why did he waste my time and his?

Interview Questions

• What would you bring to our organization?   1 Answer

Book Seller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Borders (Boston, MA) in March 2010.

Interview

This was a job fair for a new store, so we went in, and the General Manager was sitting at a desk where he was interviewing all day.

Interview Questions

• What things do you not want to do in your job.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation phase.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

The process took a weekinterviewed at Borders (Washington, DC) in February 2010.

Interview

My interview process was very general. The recruiter was very forward with me and asked me what types of skill and qualities they were looking for in potential candidates. I got the feeling that the work culture at Border was very friendly and feel like a family. I had one interview with the recruiter.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you dealt with a hard assignment. How did you handle the assignment?   Answer Question