Borders

Average Difficulty
64 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Vancouver, WA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Borders in November 2008.

Interview Details – This is overall a fun place to work. During the interview they asked about what books I was currently reading and what CD's I had in my car...then they asked me to "sell" them one of the items as if they were a customer. I interviewed with the general manager and two assistant managers. It was a little intimidating but they just want to make sure that you are comfortable with face to face interaction. Be ready to answer a bunch of scenario questions such as what would you do if....a customer was angry about blah blah blah those sorts of things.

Interview Question – How would you sell your favorite CD to a customer?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate my pay but my advice is to tell them you are interested in working in the cafe, they pay more there than out on the floor.

Mayaguez, PR

The process took a day - interviewed at Borders in October 2008.

Interview Details – Was interviewed by two managers. Asked what success meant to me.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – Flexible.

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Sales Associate/Cashier
Cleveland, OH

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Borders in September 2010.

Interview Details – Position listed as Seasonal Sales Associate/Cashier. I applied online and received a call within 4 days for a 1:1 interview. The interview was very short, less than 20 minutes start to finish. Interviewer confirmed work history as listed on my application.

Interview Questions

• "Have you ever had a job with performance standards and if so, please describe"   Answer Question
  • "Have you ever received negative feedback from a supervisor, if so what was it and how did you handle it"   Answer Question
  • "What do you think is the most important skill for this position"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was none. The online process asks you to choose the range of compensation you will accept. I was offered the lower amount of the range I chose. As it is seasonal and I had no experience in this field I accepted it.

Team Member Interview

Team Member

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Borders in August 2010.

Interview Details – It went pretty well. Management seemed nice and emphasized sales goals and customer service.

Interview Question – What was the last book you read?   Answer Question

Pleasanton, CA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Borders in July 2010.

Interview Details – There was one group interview, after which I was offered a position. Customer service experience was a key factor.

Cashier/Bookseller Interview

Cashier/Bookseller
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Borders in May 2010.

Interview Details – I met with the hiring manager and the store manager. Very normal questions. After the fact, they checked my references. The hiring manager was straightforward, and she knew the stress questions. Expect that the store manager is vague, unclear, and wordy in comparison to his hiring manager.

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – I needed full-time, not part-time work; they needed an answer to whether I would work for them in less than 24 hours.

IPT Interview

IPT
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Borders in April 2008.

Interview Details – The application process was much more grueling than the interviewing process. Borders only accepts online applications, and the application is quite lengthy and includes a personality test; you will show up as a red, yellow or green "light" on Borders' hiring site, based on how you answered the questions (these days, the company seems to care more about an outgoing, engaging personality than the applicant being literate). If you are applying for a non-management position, you are required to apply to a specific store, but after a period of about a month, if that store has taken no action on your application, it will be released to the broad area.

I was called for an interview with a store other than the one I'd applied for, perhaps two months after initially applying. The interviewer, who was the Training Supervisor, was dressed very casually and seemed sort of bored with the whole process, reading very standard questions from the paper she had in front of her (such as "What are you reading right now?" and "Why do you want to work here?"), as well as some of the more obnoxious questions interviewers always seem to ask (like "What is a conflict you've encountered in the workplace, and how did you resolve it?" and "What is your greatest weakness?). I was told that the position I'd applied for, Inventory Processing Team, was full, but that there were openings for booksellers. I didn't feel that I was particularly coherent or impressive, but I was called back for a second interview with the General Manager, probably due to my extensive bookstore background. The second interview was even more casual than the first, the GM and I mostly just yakking about things we had in common, things she knew about the school I'd attended, etc.

I was offered the job shortly thereafter, and the two nitwits I went through training with were reason enough for me to realize I was more than qualified for the position.

Interview Question – What kind of books do you like to read?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Completely non-negotiable. Trying to get any money out of Borders is a losing battle.

Very Easy Interview

Sales Manager Interview

Sales Manager
Freehold, NJ

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Borders in April 2008.

Interview Details – It was just a five minute basic interview, not very difficult. They aready seemed to have their minds made up, so they weren't interested in anything I said. It didn't even last five minutes.

Interview Question – Why are you interested in this position?   View Answer

Cashier Interview

Cashier
Canton, OH

The process took a day - interviewed at Borders in December 2009.

Interview Details – At first I thought that Borders would be a great place to work. The people seemed friendly, they seemed knowledgeable, and it seemed like the ideal place for someone that loved books as much as I do. I applied online, was called almost immediately for the the interview, and drove to the store to meet with the hiring manager. She and I seemed to have a good conversation, she assured me that I would be hearing from her soon about a decision the company made either way, and she expressed how glad she was to have met me. After a few weeks of not hearing from anyone, I began calling and getting the run around as to whom I could speak to about the position. Finally I was told that the woman that interviewed me no longer worked there, all the positions had been filled, and there was nothing anyone could do to help me. I could not believe they handled business in such an inappropriate and unorganized fashion.

Interview Question – Name a difficult situation you have had with a customer and how you solved it.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
Torrance, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at Borders in March 2010.

Interview Details – I was called by the manager and we scheduled a date form y interview. I arrived right on time but had to wait twenty minutes for my interviewer to show up. Then when we finally had the interview he had me sign papers. But then the whole thing went down the drain when I told him my age: 16 1/2. He told me they had a 18 and older policy. But what I don't understand is, my age and birthday, mind you, was everywhere on my application. Why did he waste my time and his?

Interview Question – What would you bring to our organization?   View Answer