Borders

Updated Sep 19, 2014

2.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Borders in January 2010.

I submitted an online application and customer service exam. I received a telephone call the next day from the training supervisor asking me to come in for an interview. Had a great interview with him and shortly after (within a few minutes) had a similar interview with an Ops Manager. Received an offer the next day.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Canton, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Canton, OH

The process took a dayinterviewed at Borders in December 2009.

At first I thought that Borders would be a great place to work. The people seemed friendly, they seemed knowledgeable, and it seemed like the ideal place for someone that loved books as much as I do. I applied online, was called almost immediately for the the interview, and drove to the store to meet with the hiring manager. She and I seemed to have a good conversation, she assured me that I would be hearing from her soon about a decision the company made either way, and she expressed how glad she was to have met me. After a few weeks of not hearing from anyone, I began calling and getting the run around as to whom I could speak to about the position. Finally I was told that the woman that interviewed me no longer worked there, all the positions had been filled, and there was nothing anyone could do to help me. I could not believe they handled business in such an inappropriate and unorganized fashion.

Interview Questions
    • Name a difficult situation you have had with a customer and how you solved it.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Novi, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Novi, MI

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Borders in November 2009.

I looked online on Borders.com for employment at this specific store in Novi and got a call the next day to come in for an interview. Came into the store for a 1 on 1 interview..we conducted the interview in the mall on the couches. It went well, with questions on what books am I into, and how comfortable I am in selling books that I may not be familiar with.

Interview Questions
    • How you wold you assist a customer in a book genre that you are not into?   Answer Question

Barista Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I was called within a week to interview. Interview was geared towards customer service. Sample questions..name a time you've made a mistake, what did you do to make things right?....Have you ever had to be persuasive? What was the approach/outcome?

Interview Questions
    No negotiating on my part. This was a part-time job to supplement another job

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

The process took a dayinterviewed at Borders in October 2009.

I went to a job fair at a local staffing agency and was interviewed by the general manager. She asked me why I wanted to work at Borders, what my work history was like, and what kind of books I liked and to what degree. That was it. I was offered a job that day.

Interview Questions
    I was not able to negotiate, but I did receive a (small) raise every review period.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Borders in October 2009.

I had applied online several weeks prior to being called. I received a phone call from the assistant manager who did a brief phone interview and scheduled an in-store interview. That interview went on for more than an hour. I was then scheduled for a 2nd interview with the actual manager, which took place the following week. This also went on for over an hour. Ridiculously redundant, everything could have been wrapped up in one interview. If only the real manager has the final say, then that person should be conducting all interviews instead of wasting candidates' time and the company's time.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had something very challenging to handle, and how did you deal with it?   View Answer
    • Tell me about a time you had a difficult customer and how did you handle it?   View Answer
    What negotiation? The position pays $8.00 an hour, take it or leave it.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

The process took a dayinterviewed at Borders in July 2009.

Very brief phone interview consisting of a set question 'script.' No overall job description given to tailor answers to the position. Interviewer was abrupt and not very 'into' the call.

Book Seller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Canoga Park, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Canoga Park, CA

I applied in-person – interviewed at Borders in July 2009.

They ask about sales experience and literature knowledge.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD

interviewed at Borders in June 2009.

Easy interview and relatively quick process as HR contacted 2 weeks after submitting application in store. Manager of the store was courteous and asked the usual questions in reference to interests in books and media and what my favorite topics and areas of expertise were.

Interview Questions
    • If you had your choice of being a potato, rock or apple, which would you be?   View Answer

pay was too low

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, VT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, VT

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Borders in March 2009.

Easy questions - but manager was sketchy.

Interview Questions
    • What department do you want to work in?   View Answer
    they give everyone the same pay - which is very low.