Borders Interview Questions

2.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Borders (Vancouver, WA) in November 2008.

Interview

This is overall a fun place to work. During the interview they asked about what books I was currently reading and what CD's I had in my car...then they asked me to "sell" them one of the items as if they were a customer. I interviewed with the general manager and two assistant managers. It was a little intimidating but they just want to make sure that you are comfortable with face to face interaction. Be ready to answer a bunch of scenario questions such as what would you do if....a customer was angry about blah blah blah those sorts of things.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I did not negotiate my pay but my advice is to tell them you are interested in working in the cafe, they pay more there than out on the floor.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mayaguez, PR

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Borders (Mayaguez, PR) in October 2008.

Interview

Was interviewed by two managers. Asked what success meant to me.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Flexible.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Borders in June 2008.

Interview

The online application was strangely elusive, like they were trying to trick you, so you just had to be as honest as possible and not try top guess what they wanted or you'd slip up. This is a very popular company to work with, so tenacity in getting an interview and follow up are key. They were not hiring at the time of my interview, a minor annoyance, but the experience was enlightening about big corporation cookie-cutter interviews.

Interview Questions

• If a customer complained about the service and/or their purchased product, how would you handle the situation?   1 Answer

Senior Programmer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Borders (Ann Arbor, MI) in May 2008.

Interview

Easy technical questions, interviewer did not have adequate skills so it was all easy

Negotiation

Negotiate salary and don't think you will not get more

Inventory Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Borders (Boston, MA) in April 2008.

Interview

Applied online, got a call for an interview the next day. Went in for the interview, met with two different managers, called 4 days later for the offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a difficult customer you had to deal with and the outcome.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation

IPT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Borders (Chicago, IL) in April 2008.

Interview

The application process was much more grueling than the interviewing process. Borders only accepts online applications, and the application is quite lengthy and includes a personality test; you will show up as a red, yellow or green "light" on Borders' hiring site, based on how you answered the questions (these days, the company seems to care more about an outgoing, engaging personality than the applicant being literate). If you are applying for a non-management position, you are required to apply to a specific store, but after a period of about a month, if that store has taken no action on your application, it will be released to the broad area.

I was called for an interview with a store other than the one I'd applied for, perhaps two months after initially applying. The interviewer, who was the Training Supervisor, was dressed very casually and seemed sort of bored with the whole process, reading very standard questions from the paper she had in front of her (such as "What are you reading right now?" and "Why do you want to work here?"), as well as some of the more obnoxious questions interviewers always seem to ask (like "What is a conflict you've encountered in the workplace, and how did you resolve it?" and "What is your greatest weakness?). I was told that the position I'd applied for, Inventory Processing Team, was full, but that there were openings for booksellers. I didn't feel that I was particularly coherent or impressive, but I was called back for a second interview with the General Manager, probably due to my extensive bookstore background. The second interview was even more casual than the first, the GM and I mostly just yakking about things we had in common, things she knew about the school I'd attended, etc.

I was offered the job shortly thereafter, and the two nitwits I went through training with were reason enough for me to realize I was more than qualified for the position.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Completely non-negotiable. Trying to get any money out of Borders is a losing battle.

Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Freehold, NJ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Borders (Freehold, NJ) in April 2008.

Interview

It was just a five minute basic interview, not very difficult. They aready seemed to have their minds made up, so they weren't interested in anything I said. It didn't even last five minutes.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in this position?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Borders (Chicago, IL) in August 2007.

Interview

Very conversational and friendly. We even had coffee during the interview. Probably one of the more pleasant interviews I attended.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

The hourly rate of pay was set already, and relatively non-negotiable.

Seller Interview

Application

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Borders in August 2007.

Interview

Sat down , complimented on how well I scored on Unicru servey. I was the highest ever. I was told of the position responsibilities. and asked if I ever worked in a store like that. I answered no, then I was asked to tell the manager of a time I gave great customer service.

General Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Borders (Kansas City, MO) in July 2007.

Interview

Had an interview with the District Manager outside the store. Asked a series of questions related to management as well as bookstore retail. Focused a lot on managing people, getting the job done. I was offered a chance to ask questions of the interviewer as well. I was offered a position within one week of interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to take care of a difficult customer.   Answer Question