Borders

Updated Sep 19, 2014
Updated Sep 19, 2014

2.2

Sales Manager Interview

I was promoted within from cafe manager but was required to interview with the District Manager. Even though it was internal, I still dressed in "business casual". Questions were basic retail management questions and many "tell me about a time you..." Most of the questions she asked were on the company's internal site, so I was able to prepare beforehand.

Interview Questions
    • What negative things do you think people say about you behind your back?   Answer Question

Operations Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Borders.

The most challenging part of the hiring process was always the length of time it took from initial job posting to the position getting filled. Often times, candidates never heard a position was filled and they did not get the job. I just feel that's disrespectful to the candidates.

Interview Questions
    • The interview process was fairly standard - it was a cookie cutter interview process straight from the HR book.   Answer Question
    There was really no ability to negotiate as an internal candidate. External candidates consistently earned a higher entry level amount than candidates promoted internally with the same experience.

Bookseller Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Borders in August 2011.

Came in to turn in a paper application and asked for a manager. Sat down with store manager for 20 minutes and interviewed for job.

Cashier/Bookseller Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Borders in May 2011.

The interview was super informal with the sales manager. He told me he was going to ask me the same 5 questions he had asked all the other potential candidates and that he also would not look at my employment history until after my interview during the decision phase. Both of these statements seemed a little odd to me but since it is a part time retail position I really shouldn't expect they care much about administrative skills I suppose. I wasn't really even asked anything about books or my interest in them. I would say staying cheerful and engaging during the interview and focusing the discussion on your customer service skills would be the best path in a Borders' interview. I was called less than two hours after my interview with a job offer. None of my references were called and I highly doubt they did a background check during that time.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation. I was hired as a part time, temporary position.

Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Borders in May 2011.

I applied online and received a call from the GM a few days later to set up an interview. I went in for my interview with the Sales Manager and was asked basic sales questions. I had to describe the last book I had read cover to cover and tell him why he would like it, talk about previous experiences with customers, etc. I was nervous because I had never had any real experience in retail, but they must have liked my answers. After about a 15 minute interview with the sales manager, he took me back to speak with the GM. She asked me the same types of questions and that part of the interview only lasted about 10 minutes. A few days later, I was offered the job.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you had to deal with an unhappy customer. What did you do?   Answer Question

Seasonal Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Borders in October 2010.

First i had to go online to apply then i called to see if they got my application or not, so they did, they asked me to come in for an interview , i went in, they said they will be contacting my references, then once they do, they hire

there wasn't any

Cafe Supervisor Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Borders in July 2010.

I had been working for Borders as a bookseller/cafe seller when the position became available. I had previous experience in the cafe and a good relationship with my bosses. I went through a preliminary interview with my stores GM and he asked a lot of difficult questions pertaining to increasing sales and holding my current coworkers accountable. Next I interviewed with a different supervisor in the store who I hadn't become very acquainted with. She asked me questions regarding how I would handle the transition from coworker to supervisor and why I think I should be hired over someone with supervisory experience.

Interview Questions
    • Give me an example of a time when you could not meet a customers needs? Please explain what happened.   View Answer
    • How do you think you will handle the leadership position having no prior experience as a supervisor?   View Answer
    Yes, because I knew the GM and was comfortable with this process...for any other interview I don't think I would have pushed my luck.

Cashier Interview

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Borders in May 2010.

I first had an interview with a very nice lady. They called me and said I had to go to another interview with the manager. When I got there she was a serious lady. She asked me some questions, but we stayed discussing for about 15 minutes one of them. Why are you the best, i told her my answer she was not satisfied so she kept arguing with me that my answer was not what she was looking for.

Bookseller/Barista Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Borders in April 2010.

I got a call from HR then she invited me for onsite interview with hiring manager and asked me specific time which is suitable for me or not?I said that time perfect for me then after a while she has been sent one email to me with details for my interview.I went for interview,it was 1:1 interview with section manager and he asked me lots of technical questions about PC architecture and RTL. Some situation and my previous work experiences related questions was also there.I asked some questions related to the position.

Cashier/Bookseller Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Borders in April 2010.

Was brought in for a group interview. I had no retail experience per se, having gone from computer programmer to stay-at-home mother to massage therapist. A woman in the group had very good retail experience and out shined everyone else. Interviewer only seemed interested in speaking to me about how nice it is to have a massage. Had trouble turning the conversation around to show that massage therapists need excellent customer service skills.

Interview Questions
    • If someone were looking for a book from a genre that you knew nothing about, what would you do?   Answer Question
    • If you found out a fellow employee were stealing, what would you do?   Answer Question