Borders Interview Questions

Updated Aug 11, 2015

2.2

Seller Interview

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Borders in August 2007.

Interview

Sat down , complimented on how well I scored on Unicru servey. I was the highest ever. I was told of the position responsibilities. and asked if I ever worked in a store like that. I answered no, then I was asked to tell the manager of a time I gave great customer service.

General Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Borders (Kansas City, MO) in July 2007.

Interview

Had an interview with the District Manager outside the store. Asked a series of questions related to management as well as bookstore retail. Focused a lot on managing people, getting the job done. I was offered a chance to ask questions of the interviewer as well. I was offered a position within one week of interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to take care of a difficult customer.   Answer Question

Sales Manager Interview

Interview

I was promoted within from cafe manager but was required to interview with the District Manager. Even though it was internal, I still dressed in "business casual". Questions were basic retail management questions and many "tell me about a time you..." Most of the questions she asked were on the company's internal site, so I was able to prepare beforehand.

Interview Questions

• What negative things do you think people say about you behind your back?   Answer Question

Operations Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Borders.

Interview

The most challenging part of the hiring process was always the length of time it took from initial job posting to the position getting filled. Often times, candidates never heard a position was filled and they did not get the job. I just feel that's disrespectful to the candidates.

Interview Questions

• The interview process was fairly standard - it was a cookie cutter interview process straight from the HR book.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was really no ability to negotiate as an internal candidate. External candidates consistently earned a higher entry level amount than candidates promoted internally with the same experience.

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Borders in August 2011.

Interview

Came in to turn in a paper application and asked for a manager. Sat down with store manager for 20 minutes and interviewed for job.

Interview Questions

• What is your availablility   1 Answer
    • What is your experience in retail/bookselling?   1 Answer

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Borders in May 2011.

Interview

I applied online and received a call from the GM a few days later to set up an interview. I went in for my interview with the Sales Manager and was asked basic sales questions. I had to describe the last book I had read cover to cover and tell him why he would like it, talk about previous experiences with customers, etc. I was nervous because I had never had any real experience in retail, but they must have liked my answers. After about a 15 minute interview with the sales manager, he took me back to speak with the GM. She asked me the same types of questions and that part of the interview only lasted about 10 minutes. A few days later, I was offered the job.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had to deal with an unhappy customer. What did you do?   Answer Question

Cashier/Bookseller Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Borders in May 2011.

Interview

The interview was super informal with the sales manager. He told me he was going to ask me the same 5 questions he had asked all the other potential candidates and that he also would not look at my employment history until after my interview during the decision phase. Both of these statements seemed a little odd to me but since it is a part time retail position I really shouldn't expect they care much about administrative skills I suppose. I wasn't really even asked anything about books or my interest in them. I would say staying cheerful and engaging during the interview and focusing the discussion on your customer service skills would be the best path in a Borders' interview. I was called less than two hours after my interview with a job offer. None of my references were called and I highly doubt they did a background check during that time.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. I was hired as a part time, temporary position.

Seasonal Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Borders in October 2010.

Interview

First i had to go online to apply then i called to see if they got my application or not, so they did, they asked me to come in for an interview , i went in, they said they will be contacting my references, then once they do, they hire

Interview Questions

Negotiation

there wasn't any

Cafe Supervisor Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Borders in July 2010.

Interview

I had been working for Borders as a bookseller/cafe seller when the position became available. I had previous experience in the cafe and a good relationship with my bosses. I went through a preliminary interview with my stores GM and he asked a lot of difficult questions pertaining to increasing sales and holding my current coworkers accountable. Next I interviewed with a different supervisor in the store who I hadn't become very acquainted with. She asked me questions regarding how I would handle the transition from coworker to supervisor and why I think I should be hired over someone with supervisory experience.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a time when you could not meet a customers needs? Please explain what happened.   1 Answer
    • How do you think you will handle the leadership position having no prior experience as a supervisor?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Yes, because I knew the GM and was comfortable with this process...for any other interview I don't think I would have pushed my luck.

Cashier Interview

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Borders in May 2010.

Interview

I first had an interview with a very nice lady. They called me and said I had to go to another interview with the manager. When I got there she was a serious lady. She asked me some questions, but we stayed discussing for about 15 minutes one of them. Why are you the best, i told her my answer she was not satisfied so she kept arguing with me that my answer was not what she was looking for.