Borders

2.3

6 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Highland Park, IL
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Highland Park, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Borders.

Hiring was relaxed, interview was detailed including my ability to relate to customers in a friendly way. I was Johnny-on-the-Spot so had to change gears and do it quickly.

I accepted.

Other Interview Reviews for Borders

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Torrance, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Torrance, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Borders in March 2010.

I was called by the manager and we scheduled a date form y interview. I arrived right on time but had to wait twenty minutes for my interviewer to show up. Then when we finally had the interview he had me sign papers. But then the whole thing went down the drain when I told him my age: 16 1/2. He told me they had a 18 and older policy. But what I don't understand is, my age and birthday, mind you, was everywhere on my application. Why did he waste my time and his?

Interview Questions
    • What would you bring to our organization?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Novi, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Novi, MI

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Borders in November 2009.

I looked online on Borders.com for employment at this specific store in Novi and got a call the next day to come in for an interview. Came into the store for a 1 on 1 interview..we conducted the interview in the mall on the couches. It went well, with questions on what books am I into, and how comfortable I am in selling books that I may not be familiar with.

Interview Questions
    • How you wold you assist a customer in a book genre that you are not into?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, VT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, VT

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Borders in March 2009.

Easy questions - but manager was sketchy.

Interview Questions
    • What department do you want to work in?   View Answer
    they give everyone the same pay - which is very low.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Borders in June 2008.

The online application was strangely elusive, like they were trying to trick you, so you just had to be as honest as possible and not try top guess what they wanted or you'd slip up. This is a very popular company to work with, so tenacity in getting an interview and follow up are key. They were not hiring at the time of my interview, a minor annoyance, but the experience was enlightening about big corporation cookie-cutter interviews.

Interview Questions
    • If a customer complained about the service and/or their purchased product, how would you handle the situation?   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

The interview went really well, until I told them I had MS (fatigue related) and all interest was lost. I just wanted a job thru the Christmas rush. I love books, and I love talking to people about them. I was overqualified, and on the application it had a question regarding "special accomodations". On that question I put will discuss, and up until we reached that portion of the interview he was talking about "when u start etc" and then the interview literally shut down after I said I had MS, and the only accomodation I had was I would need the shorter hours at a time, the typical shifts no one wants, I would fill in for. He was open to that until the "dreaded MS" came up.

Interview Questions
    • I see here you put you would like to discuss accomodations, could you please clarify?   View Answer