Borders

Average Difficulty
6 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Highland Park, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Borders.

Interview Details – Hiring was relaxed, interview was detailed including my ability to relate to customers in a friendly way. I was Johnny-on-the-Spot so had to change gears and do it quickly.

Interview Question – What animal was I most like and why?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I accepted.

Burlington, VT

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Borders in March 2009.

Interview Details – Easy questions - but manager was sketchy.

Interview Question – What department do you want to work in?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – they give everyone the same pay - which is very low.

Torrance, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at Borders in March 2010.

Interview Details – I was called by the manager and we scheduled a date form y interview. I arrived right on time but had to wait twenty minutes for my interviewer to show up. Then when we finally had the interview he had me sign papers. But then the whole thing went down the drain when I told him my age: 16 1/2. He told me they had a 18 and older policy. But what I don't understand is, my age and birthday, mind you, was everywhere on my application. Why did he waste my time and his?

Interview Question – What would you bring to our organization?   View Answer

Novi, MI

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Borders in November 2009.

Interview Details – I looked online on Borders.com for employment at this specific store in Novi and got a call the next day to come in for an interview. Came into the store for a 1 on 1 interview..we conducted the interview in the mall on the couches. It went well, with questions on what books am I into, and how comfortable I am in selling books that I may not be familiar with.

Interview Question – How you wold you assist a customer in a book genre that you are not into?   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Borders in June 2008.

Interview Details – The online application was strangely elusive, like they were trying to trick you, so you just had to be as honest as possible and not try top guess what they wanted or you'd slip up. This is a very popular company to work with, so tenacity in getting an interview and follow up are key. They were not hiring at the time of my interview, a minor annoyance, but the experience was enlightening about big corporation cookie-cutter interviews.

Interview Question – If a customer complained about the service and/or their purchased product, how would you handle the situation?   View Answer

Sales Associate

Interview Details – The interview went really well, until I told them I had MS (fatigue related) and all interest was lost. I just wanted a job thru the Christmas rush. I love books, and I love talking to people about them. I was overqualified, and on the application it had a question regarding "special accomodations". On that question I put will discuss, and up until we reached that portion of the interview he was talking about "when u start etc" and then the interview literally shut down after I said I had MS, and the only accomodation I had was I would need the shorter hours at a time, the typical shifts no one wants, I would fill in for. He was open to that until the "dreaded MS" came up.

Interview Question – I see here you put you would like to discuss accomodations, could you please clarify?   View Answer

Worked for Borders? Contribute to the Community!