Boscov's

Updated Feb 11, 2015
Updated Feb 11, 2015

1.8

Sales Associate Interview

It's a regular sales associate interview. If you're not an idiot you can answer all questions appropriately and honestly even if you don't you'll probably still get the job. Final Comments: Display common sense and a modicum of decorum.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing. It's essentially a minimum wage job. They're not asking tough questions.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Boscov's in August 2013.

I filled out an application at the store. About a week and a half later I received a call to schedule an interview. I dressed business casual for the interview and was offered the job on the spot. I was told to come back next week for training.

Interview Questions
    • What are your goals while working here?   View Answer
    Try to see if you can negotiate your pay. Never hurts to try.

Department Manager Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at Boscov's.

I had went on 3 interviews with no response, after the 3rd interview. I was told by the manager that I would get a phone call. Sadly, many times it is a simple rudeness that is present when a candidate never gets a response after a job interview, and in this case it was a total of 3 interviews.. This should never had happened at a progressive employer. Obviously, if someone is going through the effort of preparing for an interview they deserve some idea of their likelihood of receiving an offer.

Candidates deserve to here back even if the news is negative, phone call, an e-mail, or letter sent through the mail.

Not providing feedback to job candidates is a reflection on their entire management process. Should I interpret the silence as a rejection?

I was told on the 3rd interview, which I drove an hour each way on my day off, that she would be making final decisions, and would be making phone calls in a couple of weeks. It has been 6 weeks. The first and second interviews were consecutive. The 3rd interview the corporate office called to set-up a time and a place. All interviewers were very quick, it's like they were filtering. Nothing was written down on any of these interviews, very unusual. But, I do have to say the Boscov"s team were all very nice to speak to, maybe just not your typical interview. I was asked a question, and then cut off more times then I could answer. Why was I pushed to the 3rd interview, is my question, of mostly the manager talking.

You sit in the waiting room, possibly with several other applicants, and willed the day to be excepted by this Boscov's team. I tried to talk about my strengths , how much I've always have had a passion for the job you're interviewing for and how much you like company your applying to.

Boscov Management Team: Please address this issue for future applicants.

I appreciate this time be able to discuss this issue. I wish nothing but success for Boscov's in the future. Good luck to all.

Interview Questions
    • Really there was not any question that stood out. Why I would like to work at Boscov's. Tell me about a time when you showed outstanding customer service. This was my 2nd interview. This human resources employee was the only employee to really ask about any strengths, or situational questions. Very straight forward. The last interview really she talked more than I did? I didn't understand what I was there for? She asked a couple of questions and kinda got up and walked me to the door   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Egg Harbor Township, NJ

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Boscov's in June 2013.

The interview process was quick and efficient. I interviewed with 4 different people, 2 members from human resources, my manager, and the store manager. Each signed off on you as you interviewed with them.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were easy. None of them caught me by surprise.   Answer Question
    Start your salary high and fight for it. I put mine too low and expected it to be higher because I had experience, but now I get paid the same as someone who is coming here as their first job.

Contact Center Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Reading, PA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Boscov's.

Applied online via Indeed. The supervisor called me the next day and asked me some preliminary questions (why do you want to leave your current job? do you know what this job entails?). After I answered those questions, I got invited to the call center (or as they like to call it, the 'contact' center) for the face-to-face interview. I was greeted by a 'security guard' and filled out my application. He remarked to me how well I filled it out. He then called the supervisor I spoke to over the phone and she invited me back. I was shown the area I would work in and then was brought into her office. Some questions she asked were:

-Tell me about yourself?
    -Why are are you looking to leave your current job? (asked again)
    -Tell me about your customer service skills?
    -Describe a time where you had to work in a team

Then the supervisor's manager was brought in. She asked a few more questions similar to the ones above and they also played a sample phone call to show how I would be evaluated. Looking around the department, I was amazed to see how old fashioned the computers and technology was. Before we concluded they mentioned that they pay was $9.50/hr. This would have been a pay decrease for me, but they mentioned they might be able to squeeze out $10.00/hr. For the amount of pressure and scrutiny put on this type of work, it was not worth the anxiety.

The supervisor said that HR would have to do their 'final checks' and she will let me know.

About 10 days later, I get a letter in the mail saying that they 'carefully considered my application and regret that we are unable to offer you employment at this time' This was a shock to me, as they made it sound in the interview that I already had the position.

Nonetheless, it was no big loss. The icing on the cake was that they spelled my name wrong twice in the decline letter, even though they had a copy of my resume in the interview with the correct spelling of my name.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasantville, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasantville, NJ

I applied in-person – interviewed at Boscov's in August 2012.

It was very easy to go through interview, the main trick is just to smile and show that you are the opened personality.

Interview Questions
    • I was a bit scared, because I had an interview with HR employee, department manager and then store manager.   Answer Question

Department Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Boscov's in June 2012.

Easy interview , first contacted by phone than interview with hr managr and store manager , once this goes through brought back to fill out all applicable paper work and start an in store training with last for about one day.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online – interviewed at Boscov's in April 2012.

I filled out an application and then was asked to the back to speak with the store manager and he asked a few questions. I felt comfortable and felt like he was an old friend and I asked a few questions and he gave me the answers

Industrial Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Reading, PA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Boscov's in April 2012.

Asked about experience with developing training programs. Also information about warehouse and distribution

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Egg Harbor Township, NJ

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Boscov's in June 2011.

Applied in person and a few days/week later I got a call for an interview. On the day of interview, I had my 1 on 1 interview with 1 HR and 1 assistant store manager. After interview, I was asked if I could meet with the store manager another day because he wasn't in today, so met the next day. Got hired and worked the day of.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were very general. For instance, "Why Boscov's?, What makes you qualified? If you were in this situation... what would you do?"   Answer Question
    None.