Boscov's

Average Difficulty
11 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Egg Harbor Township, NJ

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Boscov's in June 2013.

Interview Details – The interview process was quick and efficient. I interviewed with 4 different people, 2 members from human resources, my manager, and the store manager. Each signed off on you as you interviewed with them.

Interview Question – The questions were easy. None of them caught me by surprise.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Start your salary high and fight for it. I put mine too low and expected it to be higher because I had experience, but now I get paid the same as someone who is coming here as their first job.

Pleasantville, NJ

I applied in-person - interviewed at Boscov's in August 2012.

Interview Details – It was very easy to go through interview, the main trick is just to smile and show that you are the opened personality.

Interview Question – I was a bit scared, because I had an interview with HR employee, department manager and then store manager.   Answer Question

Department Manager Interview

Department Manager

I applied through other source and interviewed at Boscov's.

Interview Details – I had went on 3 interviews with no response, after the 3rd interview. I was told by the manager that I would get a phone call. Sadly, many times it is a simple rudeness that is present when a candidate never gets a response after a job interview, and in this case it was a total of 3 interviews.. This should never had happened at a progressive employer. Obviously, if someone is going through the effort of preparing for an interview they deserve some idea of their likelihood of receiving an offer.

Candidates deserve to here back even if the news is negative, phone call, an e-mail, or letter sent through the mail.

Not providing feedback to job candidates is a reflection on their entire management process. Should I interpret the silence as a rejection?

I was told on the 3rd interview, which I drove an hour each way on my day off, that she would be making final decisions, and would be making phone calls in a couple of weeks. It has been 6 weeks. The first and second interviews were consecutive. The 3rd interview the corporate office called to set-up a time and a place. All interviewers were very quick, it's like they were filtering. Nothing was written down on any of these interviews, very unusual. But, I do have to say the Boscov"s team were all very nice to speak to, maybe just not your typical interview. I was asked a question, and then cut off more times then I could answer. Why was I pushed to the 3rd interview, is my question, of mostly the manager talking.

You sit in the waiting room, possibly with several other applicants, and willed the day to be excepted by this Boscov's team. I tried to talk about my strengths , how much I've always have had a passion for the job you're interviewing for and how much you like company your applying to.

Boscov Management Team: Please address this issue for future applicants.

I appreciate this time be able to discuss this issue. I wish nothing but success for Boscov's in the future. Good luck to all.

Interview Question – Really there was not any question that stood out. Why I would like to work at Boscov's. Tell me about a time when you showed outstanding customer service. This was my 2nd interview. This human resources employee was the only employee to really ask about any strengths, or situational questions. Very straight forward. The last interview really she talked more than I did? I didn't understand what I was there for? She asked a couple of questions and kinda got up and walked me to the door   Answer Question

Contact Center Representative Interview

Contact Center Representative
Reading, PA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Boscov's.

Interview Details – Applied online via Indeed. The supervisor called me the next day and asked me some preliminary questions (why do you want to leave your current job? do you know what this job entails?). After I answered those questions, I got invited to the call center (or as they like to call it, the 'contact' center) for the face-to-face interview. I was greeted by a 'security guard' and filled out my application. He remarked to me how well I filled it out. He then called the supervisor I spoke to over the phone and she invited me back. I was shown the area I would work in and then was brought into her office. Some questions she asked were:

-Tell me about yourself?
-Why are are you looking to leave your current job? (asked again)
-Tell me about your customer service skills?
-Describe a time where you had to work in a team

Then the supervisor's manager was brought in. She asked a few more questions similar to the ones above and they also played a sample phone call to show how I would be evaluated. Looking around the department, I was amazed to see how old fashioned the computers and technology was. Before we concluded they mentioned that they pay was $9.50/hr. This would have been a pay decrease for me, but they mentioned they might be able to squeeze out $10.00/hr. For the amount of pressure and scrutiny put on this type of work, it was not worth the anxiety.

The supervisor said that HR would have to do their 'final checks' and she will let me know.

About 10 days later, I get a letter in the mail saying that they 'carefully considered my application and regret that we are unable to offer you employment at this time' This was a shock to me, as they made it sound in the interview that I already had the position.

Nonetheless, it was no big loss. The icing on the cake was that they spelled my name wrong twice in the decline letter, even though they had a copy of my resume in the interview with the correct spelling of my name.

Interview Question – How much salary do you actually want?   View Answer

Egg Harbor Township, NJ

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Boscov's in June 2011.

Interview Details – Applied in person and a few days/week later I got a call for an interview. On the day of interview, I had my 1 on 1 interview with 1 HR and 1 assistant store manager. After interview, I was asked if I could meet with the store manager another day because he wasn't in today, so met the next day. Got hired and worked the day of.

Interview Question – Questions were very general. For instance, "Why Boscov's?, What makes you qualified? If you were in this situation... what would you do?"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None.

Industrial Engineer Interview

Industrial Engineer
Reading, PA

The process took a day - interviewed at Boscov's in April 2012.

Interview Details – Asked about experience with developing training programs. Also information about warehouse and distribution

Interview Question – How would you deal with a veteran employee   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online - interviewed at Boscov's in May 2012.

Interview Details – It was short and quick. I didn't really feel I had or didn't have the job... I didn't feel very confident in my interviewer.

Interview Question – What department would you want to work in?   View Answer

Assistant Department Manager Interview

Assistant Department Manager

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Boscov's.

Interview Details – One standard interview, basic questions about schooling and job experience. I was offered 7.50/hr to start but I got them up to 8.25/hr with the possibility of moving up within 6 months.

Interview Question – I was asked about my college schedule. I told them it would change each semester and they were okay with that.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I say ask for 9.00/hr they might counter with 8-8.50 hour.

Stock Interview

Stock

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Boscov's in February 2012.

Interview Details – They asks your experience in retail. It is very non-threatening, as long as you are yourself and do not mind talking you will get any job on the sales team. Just go in with confidence and be persistent with trying to peruse the job and you will have you in.

Interview Questions

Management Interview

Management

I applied through other source and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Boscov's in March 2011.

Interview Details – Sent my resume to the company expressing interest in a management position. Within a few days I was called by the HR manager to set up an interview with him and an executive director. The interview process was thorough, yet comfortable and informal. I was told there would be positions opening in the coming months and I would be a great fit with their company. About a month later, I was called and asked if I was still interested in joining their organization - I was thrilled! I was told I'd have to meet with one more executive and they'd be getting back to me the following week. 3 weeks went by and I was never contacted??? Finally, I took the initiative to call the HR manager and was told they were going in another direction and wanted to fill positions internally. Okay, they changed their minds, not a problem, I get it - but have the courtesy, professionalism and courage to contact the candidate and let them know. Don't string them along. We are not just a name on a resume, we're real, live people.

Interview Question – What I thought of a previous supervisor, whom the interviewer had previously worked with and had long-running negative experiences. ( I thought it was unprofessional to ask the question in an interview setting - the interviewer was obviously fishing for me to say something derogatory.)   View Answer

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Boscov's? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Boscov's interview questions and advice. All 11 interview reviews posted anonymously by Boscov's employees and interview candidates.