Boston Beer

Updated Feb 3, 2015
Updated Feb 3, 2015

3.4

Brewery Representative Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Boston Beer.

At first everything was great! I was contacted by a recruiter through e-mail within an hour after submitting my resume (this was a Friday). Right away, I was prompted to do a video interview through a program called HireVue (I actually really liked this part of it, thought it was different from a lot of companies). About 45 minutes later, I received another e-mail from the recruiter asking for a phone interview later that day… thats 3 steps… in about 3 hours (give or take)- awesome right?! Phone interview went well…. The recruiter told me she is interested in having me meet with the regional manager and would follow up with a time. I get a phone call Tuesday morning while I'm still in class "Hi, The regional manager is in the area today and since we're running on such a tight schedule would you be able to make it to NYC this afternoon by 4:00pm?" I am from Philadelphia, but also in need of a job- so I did what I had to do and made my way to NYC. The interview with the Regional manager could not have gone better! He was a really nice guy and got me excited for the job. Told me he was moving me on to the next part of the process right away. The next day I get a call from the recruiter again asking if I can fly out to Tennessee tomorrow. Of course, I couldn't do that with such short notice. Instead we worked out a trip to Boston Sunday. It was now the week before thanksgiving and I was in boston for my ride with day. I was paired with a senior brewery representative who had years of experience with the company. He was said to be the best in the field so I was surprised with the way the day turned out. The entire experience was nothing but negativity. I kept asking what he liked about his job, the only thing he could tell me was "FREE BEER". I was supposed to see some sales visits and things of that nature considering that was the position I was interviewing for, however all I did was stock the shelves at the accounts and get displays ready for the holidays. The senior brewery rep even told me that he specifically chooses these busy weeks to do his ride with days because its an extra set of hands for him and it makes him look good to the distributors.

I could not have been more disappointed with this experience. I was rushed around from state to state only to be an extra set of hands from someone who seemingly hated his job. I felt like it was a huge waste of my time and that I was being taken advantage of. Very surprising coming from a company like this.

Interview Questions
    • What is most important when working on an accounts display?   View Answer

Brewery Market Representative Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Boston Beer.

I started with about 5 back and forth calls with a recruiter before moving on to an online webcam interview. In this what they call Hireview interview, basically I recorded my answers to 5 different questions to be later reviewed by the recruiter and regional and district managers. After about 4-5 weeks into the process, I had an in person interview with a district manager and regional manager. Everyone was pleasant to deal with for the most part.

For my first official phone interview, about a week after my first contact with her, the recruiter was past an hour late when I called to ask if she was ready. She then told me she would call me back in 15 minutes, without even so much as a, "Sorry." The conversation went well and about a week later, she got back to me to tell me I was moving along in the process and was to submit a Hireview interview online. After another week or two of waiting, she let me know that the regional manager had reviewed my Hireview and was very interested in meeting with me.

When I got to the interview at a cafe, there were two interviewers instead of the one they had told me would be there, which was fine, but I would have preferred to know that prior. I was unsure of who they were at first because I was looking for one person and I saw two interviewing someone else well into my allotted interview time. I called and texted the regional manager whose information I had to figure out what was going on, to no response. I then emailed, with no response, then called the recruiter to figure out what was gong on. She told me that the two were the two that would be interviewing me, so I waited. They were not ready for me until 30 minutes after my interview time, putting me in a bad position with my current job, which was an hour away by train and awaiting my return. The interview was pretty standard and I felt I did a fantastic job. The employee who referred me received a serious complaint from his boss about the amount of information he shared with me about the company which I shared in my interview. He reported that to me and five minutes later, I got a call from the recruiter, telling me that they had other candidates with more related experience that they were going to pursue. The problem is, no one told me that the information was sensitive or shouldn't have been shared with me, and even so, I would assume that since I already have the information it would be more of a liability to cut me from the hiring process. The employee referring me didn't know the sensitivity of this information either and was taken back by their response as well. I'm not sure what happened here, but from what I understood, I was geared up to move forward in this process without an issue.

With all of the time I put into this process and my background, which definitely is sufficient for this entry level position, there's no reason why I should have been cut so suddenly except for some sort of bureaucratic issue, that has nothing to do with my qualifications or how well I could have represented the brand. I found this all to be extremely unprofessional and unfair.

Brewery Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Boston Beer.

Set up a 1 way interview through HireVue, where you answer a series of 5 questions into a webcam for their hiring group to review later. Had never done a 1 way interview before, so the process felt very unnatural. Had an email voice notification pop up and interrupt one of my answers, but you don't get to go back and re-record your answers so I'm sure I looked distracted. Would have preferred a traditional phone interview over this process.

Production Interview

Anonymous Employee in Allentown, PA
    Anonymous Employee in Allentown, PA

I applied online – interviewed at Boston Beer.

I was screened by a temp agency then sent to the brewery for the official interview. 2 of the 3 interviewers had their work gear on and presumably had just finished their 12 hour night shift. Cookie cutter questions from a packet of papers. Very unfriendly and unwelcoming. Did not talk about the position once and provided short, cocky, comments. Either I was not meant for this position or I got back luck my interviewers. I can't imagine someone dreaming or striving to be in production for an average wage. My hats off to the applicants who received job offers. SA could have saved each other a lot of time by just looking at my resume before I got 4 hours of sleep and driving 35 miles to tell me I wasn't qualified to operate machinery and clean equipment.

Interview Questions
    • The first thing that comes to mind when dealing with safety?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Boston Beer.

After months of working with a recruiter/HR rep, I was invited for an in-person interview. The meeting went well and the position and its responsibilities were very clear. I followed up with the recruiter for several weeks after and was provided the same reply each time, "should know more next week!" I began to make phone calls and leave voice mails; no reply. I don't understand how as a human resources professional you don't have the courtesy to "close the loop." Months have gone by and it's been radio silence. I will never apply to this company again. I heard this was a trend but couldn't believe people could truly be this unprofessional and frankly, rude. An email takes :30 to send. What's the problem here?

Buyer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Boston Beer.

I applied online and a recruiter arranged a phone interview. A day or so before, she had me log in to a web portal and do a personality test.

The screening interview began with basic questions. A few minutes in, the recruiter stopped the interview and told me she'd gotten the results of my personality test and I'd failed. She said that they only wanted happy people working at Sam Adans, and that I would not be considered for any further positions with the company.

What in the world?

Front Desk Coordinator Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Boston Beer in September 2014.

I applied online for the Front Desk Coordinator position in September, by October I was hired. The process included one phone interview and then two office interviews. The process was fast and efficient. The recruiter that I was dealing with directly made me feel comfortable and was available and flexible with my schedule.

Interview Questions
    • I did not find the interview questions difficult. I thought they were very straight forward and pertained to the duties I would be performing in my position.   Answer Question

Brewery Market Representative Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Boston Beer.

Started off applying online, I was contacted by HR about a week or so after. I moved on to a digital interview which is a one way interview where you answer preset questions. After about two weeks of emailing HR about the position and the next steps I had a phone interview. The phone interview went more into detail about the job, job duties and responsibilities. I thought the interview went well, about a week later I followed up and HR told me they were not continuing me into the interview process. Long process, thought I deserved an in person interview.

Brewery Market Representative- Denver Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Boston Beer in June 2014.

I applied online, and shortly thereafter was contacted by a recruiter. I completed an online interview with HireVue and then moved on to a phone interview a few days later. The phone interview didn't include a whole lot of questions, just basically telling me about the position. The recruiter then told me she'd let me know that night or the next day whether I'd be going to Denver to interview in the next week. Never got that call, and after pestering her for a few days, was told that she hadn't heard anything back and would get in contact with me soon. When "soon" came and passed, I e-mailed and called again to find out what was going on. The recruiter told me she hadn't heard anything, and was going on vacation for ten days, and would be in contact with me after that. After the vacation, I didn't hear anything for a few weeks..until the recruiter called me to inform me that the position had been filled (Why couldn't she hand me off to someone else if she was going on vacation...?). But, she did tell me that she was still very interested in me as a candidate, and asked if I was interested in the position in Chicago....no. I applied in Denver.

Overall, unprofessional and frustrating. I'm almost glad I didn't move on in the interview process, as I'm reading these reviews it looks like it would've brought me more frustration. I think it would've been a really cool job, but BBC should know that they're losing great candidates through such a ridiculous interview process.

Interview Questions
    • No real hard questions- I think they're more concerned with your reaction to the questions than your actual answers.   Answer Question

Brewery Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Boston Beer in May 2014.

Long interview process. Started with an interview with HireVue, which is basically a skype interview with pre-recorded questions. Very standard questions here. Then they flew me to Boston for an interview with HR. They were pretty standard interview questions like "why sales?", "why Boston Beer?", etc. Next step was a ride along interview with a senior brewery rep. We spent the day going to about ten different accounts, and it was a great learning experience. This step is not supposed to be a job shadow day, and you're supposed to actually help in selling. Ask a lot of questions and don't be afraid to talk to clients! The last step was a case study with the VP of sales. This was the most stressful part of the process, but just know to ask a lot of questions and listen to his feedback. My best advice is to be yourself and if the job is right for you, you'll get it!

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want Boston Beer Company over any other brewery?   Answer Question
    No negotiation.