Boston Consulting Group Associate Consultant Interview Questions & Reviews

54 interviews

4.0

54 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Associate Consultant Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in February 2010.

Case interview conducted by consultants, principals and partners current working at the BCG office in Sao Paulo. Additional interview with HR as a final check. The best way to prepare is by studying and practice case interviews, there are tons of case study books online

Other Interview Reviews for Boston Consulting Group

Associate Consultant Interview

Interviewed on campus, standard initial round of two case interviews. Lots of feedback provided. Then an additional case prep and second round which consistent of three case interviews. People were very friendly. May be due to the fact that people were recruiting on campus. I interviewed from DC for New York.

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I interviewed through other source. The process took a day - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in March 2014.

Technical questions geared as though the interviewee is in a class romm regurgitating theroy

Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in September 2013.

BCG came onto campus during the fall semester to hold recruit at my school. I applied online and was given a first round interview at their offices in my school's city. A recent alumni of my school and current BCGer contacted me by e-mail shortly after I accepted my interview and led me through a practice interview and case on the phone in preparation for my actual interview. The interview was pretty typical as far as Big Three consulting interviews go. I had back to back interviews for around a half our each with two project leaders, and each gave me a case in their area of expertise. The cases were fairly standard BCG cases - think big picture rather than those market-sizing type questions - and there are a ton of examples that you can (and should) use to practice before your interview. I had only looked at cases in the days before my interview, and needless to say, I did not do as well as I would have liked. Still a great experience though, I just wish I would have done more ahead of time.

Interview Questions
    • Be sure to study a wide variety of cases ahead of time and understand what types of questions you will need to ask to get all the information you need. Your interviewers will help guide you along if you're truly stuck, but you should to get it on your own. Also, make sure that your calculations are precise. Definitely ask for a minute to gather your thoughts if you need it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2013.

I made initial communication with consultants within my preferred office and was accepted as a referred candidate. Additionally, I applied online and through BCG campus resume collection.

The first round interviews consisted of two 45-minute in person interviews. The interviews were ten minutes of fit/behavioral and the remaining time for one case each.

I was very nervous during the first interview and messed up the math...the interviewed was very kind and asked me to look over the numbers again.
    The second interview went much better. The case and fit portion felt much like a conversation, and overall, I had a lot of fun during the interview!

The behavioral questions were very much expected. The case questions involved multiple graphs and additional facts. I strayed from my initial framework and had to be quick on my feet to respond to each interviewers prompts.

Additionally, it is helpful to know that I have a liberal arts (political science and economics majors) background. I have had no prior experience in the industry and relied mainly on online resources to learn about the case interview process. The case questions I encountered were not difficult because of the technicalities but because of how fast-paced it all seemed.

Anonymous Employee  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2012.

Recruited at school, turned in application and was invited for on-campus interview.

Interview Questions
    • Have to do some quick mental math, mostly multiplication of low double-digit numbers. Should understand unit conversion well.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2011.

Went through two rounds, one came directly to my university, the other, they flew me there. They sent their young graduates, so you felt like you were interviewing with peers. Each round guaranteed two interviewers, so it felt even. The whole process was very fun, including information sessions, congratulation and support emails and dinners.

Interview Questions
    • What is the revenue synergy of this company?

Describe 25 ways to sell a chocolate chip cookie.
        Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Had one face-to-face interview on campus. Interviewer asked basic questions, mainly about myself and my qualifications. Then , the interviewer received a phone call as proceeded to have a conversation during our interview! After he hung up, he didn't even apologize.

Associate Consultant Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

I submitted my resume on campus and through their website, and heard back within less than a week. I attended their info session, which was not very useful in terms of learning about cases but was a good opportunity to see their (impressive) offices. The actual interview was very straight-forward, although I did not feel like the interviewers actually tried to get to know me. It was all "down-to-business." It might have been because they were tired -- it was an 8am interview and they admitted to working long hours. Either way, it's a great company and that becomes evident as soon as you walk into the door. However, the interview process could certainly be improved and interviewers should be held to a higher standard.

Interview Questions
    • There were two cases, one with each interviewer. Pretty standard cases.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2012.

Career center resume drop, followed by invitation to first-round interview, and finally a second round interview.

Interview Questions
    • Case questions are structured, but definitely requires thinking outside of the box.   Answer Question

Had a better offer elsewhere

Worked for Boston Consulting Group? Contribute to the Community!