Boston Consulting Group

Getting the Interview

50 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in September 2013.

Interview Details – BCG came onto campus during the fall semester to hold recruit at my school. I applied online and was given a first round interview at their offices in my school's city. A recent alumni of my school and current BCGer contacted me by e-mail shortly after I accepted my interview and led me through a practice interview and case on the phone in preparation for my actual interview. The interview was pretty typical as far as Big Three consulting interviews go. I had back to back interviews for around a half our each with two project leaders, and each gave me a case in their area of expertise. The cases were fairly standard BCG cases - think big picture rather than those market-sizing type questions - and there are a ton of examples that you can (and should) use to practice before your interview. I had only looked at cases in the days before my interview, and needless to say, I did not do as well as I would have liked. Still a great experience though, I just wish I would have done more ahead of time.

Interview Question – Be sure to study a wide variety of cases ahead of time and understand what types of questions you will need to ask to get all the information you need. Your interviewers will help guide you along if you're truly stuck, but you should to get it on your own. Also, make sure that your calculations are precise. Definitely ask for a minute to gather your thoughts if you need it.   Answer Question

Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2013.

Interview Details – I made initial communication with consultants within my preferred office and was accepted as a referred candidate. Additionally, I applied online and through BCG campus resume collection.

The first round interviews consisted of two 45-minute in person interviews. The interviews were ten minutes of fit/behavioral and the remaining time for one case each.

I was very nervous during the first interview and messed up the math...the interviewed was very kind and asked me to look over the numbers again.
The second interview went much better. The case and fit portion felt much like a conversation, and overall, I had a lot of fun during the interview!

The behavioral questions were very much expected. The case questions involved multiple graphs and additional facts. I strayed from my initial framework and had to be quick on my feet to respond to each interviewers prompts.

Additionally, it is helpful to know that I have a liberal arts (political science and economics majors) background. I have had no prior experience in the industry and relied mainly on online resources to learn about the case interview process. The case questions I encountered were not difficult because of the technicalities but because of how fast-paced it all seemed.

Interview Question – The fit and case portions were to be expected.   Answer Question

Palo Alto, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2012.

Interview Details – Recruited at school, turned in application and was invited for on-campus interview.

Interview Question – Have to do some quick mental math, mostly multiplication of low double-digit numbers. Should understand unit conversion well.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2011.

Interview Details – Went through two rounds, one came directly to my university, the other, they flew me there. They sent their young graduates, so you felt like you were interviewing with peers. Each round guaranteed two interviewers, so it felt even. The whole process was very fun, including information sessions, congratulation and support emails and dinners.

Interview Question – What is the revenue synergy of this company?

Describe 25 ways to sell a chocolate chip cookie.
  Answer Question

Boston, MA

Interviewed at Boston Consulting Group

Interview Details – Had one face-to-face interview on campus. Interviewer asked basic questions, mainly about myself and my qualifications. Then , the interviewer received a phone call as proceeded to have a conversation during our interview! After he hung up, he didn't even apologize.

Interview Question – Typical first-round interview questions.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant

I applied online and interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview Details – I submitted my resume on campus and through their website, and heard back within less than a week. I attended their info session, which was not very useful in terms of learning about cases but was a good opportunity to see their (impressive) offices. The actual interview was very straight-forward, although I did not feel like the interviewers actually tried to get to know me. It was all "down-to-business." It might have been because they were tired -- it was an 8am interview and they admitted to working long hours. Either way, it's a great company and that becomes evident as soon as you walk into the door. However, the interview process could certainly be improved and interviewers should be held to a higher standard.

Interview Question – There were two cases, one with each interviewer. Pretty standard cases.   Answer Question

Houston, TX

I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2012.

Interview Details – Career center resume drop, followed by invitation to first-round interview, and finally a second round interview.

Interview Question – Case questions are structured, but definitely requires thinking outside of the box.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Had a better offer elsewhere

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2011.

Interview Details – There are two rounds of interview at BCG, and both run on the same format - a fit interview first followed by a case interview. The first round is with associate consultants, while the second round is with senior level consultants. BCG is friendly, but remember to be very business oriented

Interview Question – What is the most spontaneous thing you have ever done?   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2011.

Interview Details – Generally professional, treats you well. Nice accommodations and preparedness. Atypical and interesting cases.

Interview Questions

• Determine why the stock of an airline company is going down despite increasing revenue and profits   Answer Question
  • Determine whether to enter the Green Car market as a major car manufacturer   Answer Question

New York, NY

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2011.

Interview Details – I applied, then got invited to two social/networking events before interview. Had 2 30min interviews with mid-level consultants. One seemed bored/tired--> didn't click. Rapport with the other one was much better. Cases: how to increase profits for pharma company (reduce number of drugs advancing to pahse 2 trials), should financial asset mngmt compnay enter China.
Overall, very good experience, communications were very professional and courteous, felt like they cared for the success of the interviewees, very relaxed, very conversational interviews.

Interview Questions

Interviews for Top Jobs at Boston Consulting Group

Worked for Boston Consulting Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Boston Consulting Group Associate Consultant interview questions and advice. All 50 interview reviews posted anonymously by Boston Consulting Group employees and interview candidates.