Boston Consulting Group Associate Consultant Interview Questions

Updated Jun 29, 2015

3.9

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (London, England (UK)) in August 2008.

Interview

Applied to the london office and had a first round interview in the San Francisco office since I was living there at the time. Had a 1hr numerical test which was fine, have to think quickly but finished it with enough time to check answers. Then had a 1:1 interview with partner which was combination of personal experience and case interview. Totally messed up the case interview - panicked when i knew i was missing the key question to ask and couldn't work out what it was. in the end the guy told me what the answer was and i knew there and then i hadn't made it through to the next round!!! Definitely will prepare more thoroughly this time around!

Interview Questions

• An elevator company wants to know why their sales have fallen and with it their profits. quantify the loss they have made and tell me how we need to get around it.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Boston Consulting Group

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brussels (Belgium)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Brussels (Belgium)) in September 2011.

Interview

The interviews are very much focused on the analytical skills of the individual.
    For experienced hires, there is first a serie of 2 1:1 interviews with a consultant and a project leader.
    During the second appointment, there is a 2 hours paper case to prepare and present to a partner. Then there is another live case with a partner.

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bogotá, Bogota (Colombia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Bogotá, Bogota (Colombia)).

Interview

The process had 4 parts:
    1st: CV Selection
    2nd: Analytical Test: 20 GMAT style questions in 20 mins.
    3rd: First round of interviews with 3 consultants.

-->First part was CV and fit questions, they really want to know you know your story. Typical questions at this stage where 'tell me about this on your CV' and 'why consulting and why BCG'.
    -->The second part of the interview was a 30 to 35 min case. The cases are challenging and you have to be very fast with numbers and very organized with the process! I got 3 cases 1 about reevaluating a distribution channel, a loyalty program strategy for a retailer and finally a case about opening a manufacturing facility for a food producer.
    --> Last part you get to chat a bit with the consultants and ask them questions. Be prepared they expect smart questions.
    -->The consultants where very accomplished, smart and friendly people, very open and willing to help you through the cases. Nevertheless you should expect them to be hostile at some point since they also want to test your boiling point.

4th: 2 Interviews with partners.
    -->For the second round The process follows exactly as with the consultants but partner cases where much more difficult. They are more abstract and open ended.
    --> For the partner cases I felt that you really need to excel when you organize your thoughts, be very creative for brainstorming and show that you can be left alone with a client.
    -->The Partners are very smart and have a wide understanding of business (Almost seems like they have seen it all in the business world), they are also very friendly and helpful they wont let you fail in the case, they want you to crack it! i really enjoy their cases. It was clear to me the way they where assessing me.

Interview Questions

• Explain why Asset Management companies that have low and high volume of assets have high margins while the companies with average volumes have low margins.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Boston, MA) in March 2014.

Interview

Technical questions geared as though the interviewee is in a class romm regurgitating theroy

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

Recruited on-campus, had first and second round interviews, both at the BCG office. First round was done by consultants, second was by partner/principal. The partner/principal interview was much less structured than the first round (much less like the case interviews I prepared for), but that was fine. I got the feeling that the partner was really watching me closely as I answered to see if I was being authentic and to see how my performance during the interview would extrapolate to on-the-job performance.

Interview Questions

• Why do you not plan to return to the consulting firm you interned with last summer (where I had a return offer)?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Basically no negotiation for salary, since salaries are standardized across the company (you might be able to negotiate your base salary up, but at the end of the year there's a target salary they aim for, so your bonus will be adjusted to take this into account).

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

Good and quick communication throughout, three rounds in total. First round included a maths test but this wasn't nearly as bad as the PST at McKinsey, it was the specific university recruiting test and not the case based one used in other cases.

Interview Questions

• First interviewer was a very friendly partner who asked me how much I wanted the job and asked positive and simple questions about my CV. Case Question: tell me how you think the drop in oil price has affected the world i.e. companies, governments, consumers etc. ...second interviewer picked away at my CV negatively and it was difficult not to feel defensive, he also seemed bored during the case.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in September 2014.

Interview

Three interviews and an online test. The first round was pure stress interviews. It consisted of questions about me, success failure etc in addition to case questions. The second interview was at the firm. It consisted also of questions about me and cases. The cases were a bit harder in the second round. The second round also included an online test which relatively easier than the PST test for McKinsey.

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

I submitted my resume, cover letter and transcript online (but through my university). I was initially really excited when I went to their info session because the employees seemed very interesting and engaging and laid back. However, the first round of interviews was the complete opposite. I had two separate interviews which were about 45 minutes each: 15 minutes behavioral and a 30 minute case. My first interviewer was extremely rude and condescending. The second was very kind and really seemed interested in my answers and the different way I solved the case. Overall, I could tell I wasn't a good fit.

Associate Consultant Interview

Interview

Received an email that I was invited to a first round interview and had 2 weeks to prepare. Interview consisted of 3 parts. Part 1: case study + personal questions. Part 2: another case study with another interviewer + personal questions. Part 3: Online case/analytical test
    Interviewers were both very friendly and interested. Atmosphere was very relaxed. I had expected a little more support during the case studies.

Interview Questions

• When you join our company you will have to come up with a personal development plan. What will be in you plan?   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in November 2014.

Interview

The first round of interviews was composed by three parts: two interviews with two different consultants and an online case study.
    Both the interviews had the same format: 1) Some questions about myself and my cv/cover 2) A case study 3) the possibility to ask questions about BCG, consultant's experience etc.
    The online case study was composed by a set of questions (around 50) about just one scenario. In order to answer the questions I had to analyze different graphs/tables that became available question after question.

Interview Questions

• Why is BCG different from McKinsey? Why did you get 95/100 in your high school diploma and not 100/100?   Answer Question