Boston Consulting Group Associate Consultant Interview Questions

Updated Jun 29, 2015

3.9

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Johannesburg (South Africa)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Johannesburg (South Africa)) in April 2015.

Interview

I submitted my application online and then secured an interview through a contact who know the partner in charge of recruiting. I was invited to first round of interviews.

Interview stages
Pre-screening: Resmue & Cover Letter
Round 1: Online Potential Test + Case Interview
Round 2: Written Case Interview + Case Interview
Round 3: 2 Case Interviews

Interview Questions

• FIT: Tell me about yourself. Followed with, tell me more about your analytical skills.   1 Answer
  • CASE: US client losing sales due to competitor introducing substitute product. Should the firm start selling that product too? Involved market sizing, determining target market share to break even, determining viability of venture given lag time to reach full production.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Boston Consulting Group

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Chicago, IL) in October 2014.

Interview

The first stage of the interview consisted of two case interviews with project managers. Each of the case interviews included a portion for fit questions. The second stage of the interview consisted of one case interview with a fit portion as well as a written case. The second case interview is especially open-ended.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to change the direction of a team?   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brussels (Belgium)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Brussels (Belgium)) in January 2015.

Interview

- I networked my way in. The company responded quickly to my application (1 week).
    - One employee called a couple of days before the first round to make sure everything was ok. He proposed to do a practice case and the feedback was very detailed & positive.

- During the first round, I met 2 interviewers for the usual 15 min fit, 40 min case and 5 min Q&A.

- The cases had a similar structure: very basic problem descriptiion, gameplan, lots of business judgment discussions, one creativity bit where you have to come with a lot of answers to an open question and a quant part, based on a chart they give you. The case is closed by a quick conclusion.

The first interviewer was an experienced project leader, very friendly and well organized. He drove the case very well.
    The second interviewer was a new consultant, friendly but not very structured and the case went in all directions.

He gave me a negative feedback, more or less the opposite as what I had received during the practice case.

This really gave me the feeling that the interview process is pretty random: some interviewers will like your approach, others will not, and you just have to live with it. Good luck.

Interview Questions

• cost cutting case in the retail market
      profitability issue in the telecom industry

Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brussels (Belgium)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Brussels (Belgium)) in July 2014.

Interview

Got the interview trough referal - no practice cases were offered. First round consisted of two interviews with consultants. Each interview had a fit section and a case. Case were from interviewers' own experience and definitely not standard profit cases.

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Melbourne (Australia)) in March 2015.

Interview

Applied online via my university's careers website. I Was offered an interview 2 weeks later. The first round of interviews consisted 2 back to back 45min case interviews with either senior associate or a consultant. Both interviewers were very nice and they made me feel comfortable. The interviews was broken into 3 sections, CV/fit interview for about 10mins followed by the case interview then in the last 5mins I was allowed to ask questions about the role.

Interview Questions

• One question on revenue growth and another was on how to priorities the roll our of a new product launch.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

Interviewed for BCG Rome/Milan Office.
    The first round interview consisted of two case studies. Both wanted to make sure I had knowledge of Italian therefore, once they saw I was fluent in English they switched to Italian.

Case studies were of very different nature. One more abstract thinking about R&D in oil industry and another about Private Equity with very numerical testing.

Both were very friendly. They tried to help when I was in difficulty.

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in November 2014.

Interview

The first round of interviews was composed by three parts: two interviews with two different consultants and an online case study.
    Both the interviews had the same format: 1) Some questions about myself and my cv/cover 2) A case study 3) the possibility to ask questions about BCG, consultant's experience etc.
    The online case study was composed by a set of questions (around 50) about just one scenario. In order to answer the questions I had to analyze different graphs/tables that became available question after question.

Interview Questions

• Why is BCG different from McKinsey? Why did you get 95/100 in your high school diploma and not 100/100?   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Interview

Received an email that I was invited to a first round interview and had 2 weeks to prepare. Interview consisted of 3 parts. Part 1: case study + personal questions. Part 2: another case study with another interviewer + personal questions. Part 3: Online case/analytical test
    Interviewers were both very friendly and interested. Atmosphere was very relaxed. I had expected a little more support during the case studies.

Interview Questions

• When you join our company you will have to come up with a personal development plan. What will be in you plan?   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

I submitted my resume, cover letter and transcript online (but through my university). I was initially really excited when I went to their info session because the employees seemed very interesting and engaging and laid back. However, the first round of interviews was the complete opposite. I had two separate interviews which were about 45 minutes each: 15 minutes behavioral and a 30 minute case. My first interviewer was extremely rude and condescending. The second was very kind and really seemed interested in my answers and the different way I solved the case. Overall, I could tell I wasn't a good fit.

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in September 2014.

Interview

Three interviews and an online test. The first round was pure stress interviews. It consisted of questions about me, success failure etc in addition to case questions. The second interview was at the firm. It consisted also of questions about me and cases. The cases were a bit harder in the second round. The second round also included an online test which relatively easier than the PST test for McKinsey.