Boston Consulting Group Associate Consultant Interview Questions

Updated Jun 29, 2015

3.9

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Boston, MA) in October 2010.

Interview

Standard 1st round. Went through two 30-minute interviews with different people. Each interview was structured similarly: interviewer looks through your resume and asks you questions about your past experiences, then you proceed to the case. I got a numbers/cost-benefit analysis case and a pricing strategy case. The interviewers were helpful and tried to point you in the right direction for solving the cases. However, feedback was nonexistent and you couldn't easily tell how you were being perceived.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Boston Consulting Group

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in February 2010.

Interview

Case interview conducted by consultants, principals and partners current working at the BCG office in Sao Paulo. Additional interview with HR as a final check. The best way to prepare is by studying and practice case interviews, there are tons of case study books online

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (New York, NY) in October 2009.

Interview

BCG seems like a great firm from the presentations, but it's hard to know what to think when your interviewer interrupts you mid-question to tell you that some of the reasons you've listed for why you like BCG are part of the "BS that recruiters feed to college grads in order to get them to join the firm." That being said, it probably is a great place to work, and I might have gotten stuck with the one guy who had a bad day.

It's a two part interview: two separate 45 min 1-1 interviews, with one case and some personality questions each. Be prepared to answer why consulting? why BCG? what's interesting about you? Cases are straight-forward and no brainteasers, but be sure to use the BCG structured response strategy because that's what they want.

Interview Questions

• Why BCG? Relates to the fact that the interviewer dismissed most of my answers.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2009.

Interview

really nice people, just wasn't as sharp on the case interview as i could have been. interviewed with two people each 45 minutes. it was a really good experience because both of the people were really friendly and understanding. when it came to the case interview, both were pretty understanding and helped out if it seemed like you were really stuck

Interview Questions

• pretty basic and normal: what key activities were you involved in   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Johannesburg (South Africa)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Johannesburg (South Africa)) in April 2015.

Interview

I submitted my application online and then secured an interview through a contact who know the partner in charge of recruiting. I was invited to first round of interviews.

Interview stages
    Pre-screening: Resmue & Cover Letter
    Round 1: Online Potential Test + Case Interview
    Round 2: Written Case Interview + Case Interview
    Round 3: 2 Case Interviews

Interview Questions

• FIT: Tell me about yourself. Followed with, tell me more about your analytical skills.   1 Answer
    • CASE: US client losing sales due to competitor introducing substitute product. Should the firm start selling that product too? Involved market sizing, determining target market share to break even, determining viability of venture given lag time to reach full production.   1 Answer

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Melbourne (Australia)) in March 2015.

Interview

Applied online via my university's careers website. I Was offered an interview 2 weeks later. The first round of interviews consisted 2 back to back 45min case interviews with either senior associate or a consultant. Both interviewers were very nice and they made me feel comfortable. The interviews was broken into 3 sections, CV/fit interview for about 10mins followed by the case interview then in the last 5mins I was allowed to ask questions about the role.

Interview Questions

• One question on revenue growth and another was on how to priorities the roll our of a new product launch.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

Interviewed for BCG Rome/Milan Office.
    The first round interview consisted of two case studies. Both wanted to make sure I had knowledge of Italian therefore, once they saw I was fluent in English they switched to Italian.

Case studies were of very different nature. One more abstract thinking about R&D in oil industry and another about Private Equity with very numerical testing.

Both were very friendly. They tried to help when I was in difficulty.

Associate Consultant Interview

Interview

Received an email that I was invited to a first round interview and had 2 weeks to prepare. Interview consisted of 3 parts. Part 1: case study + personal questions. Part 2: another case study with another interviewer + personal questions. Part 3: Online case/analytical test
    Interviewers were both very friendly and interested. Atmosphere was very relaxed. I had expected a little more support during the case studies.

Interview Questions

• When you join our company you will have to come up with a personal development plan. What will be in you plan?   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brussels (Belgium)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Brussels (Belgium)) in January 2015.

Interview

- I networked my way in. The company responded quickly to my application (1 week).
    - One employee called a couple of days before the first round to make sure everything was ok. He proposed to do a practice case and the feedback was very detailed & positive.

- During the first round, I met 2 interviewers for the usual 15 min fit, 40 min case and 5 min Q&A.

- The cases had a similar structure: very basic problem descriptiion, gameplan, lots of business judgment discussions, one creativity bit where you have to come with a lot of answers to an open question and a quant part, based on a chart they give you. The case is closed by a quick conclusion.

The first interviewer was an experienced project leader, very friendly and well organized. He drove the case very well.
    The second interviewer was a new consultant, friendly but not very structured and the case went in all directions.

He gave me a negative feedback, more or less the opposite as what I had received during the practice case.

This really gave me the feeling that the interview process is pretty random: some interviewers will like your approach, others will not, and you just have to live with it. Good luck.

Interview Questions

• cost cutting case in the retail market
      profitability issue in the telecom industry

Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Interview

Applied through online system, email came a couple of weeks after, and it contains interview invitation. Interview consisted of two case interviews by separate interviewers, who are both principals in BCG Singapore. Each interviewer starts by asking some fit questions such as 'why consulting?', 'why BCG?', and 'why you?'. That was followed by a case and an opportunity to ask the interviewers a few questions.

Interview Questions

• The first case was about a market entry strategy for a researcher that has invented a novel laser technology. The second case was about a strategy to increase productivity in Singapore. The latter one was particularly hard because it was not like typical case interview questions. There was an equation given and you're supposed to compare between Singapore's productivity and New York's.   Answer Question