Boston Consulting Group Associate Consultant Interview Questions

Updated Oct 16, 2014

3.9

57 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Associate Consultant Interview

Online application and a little back and forth with the recruitment manager. First round interview was in person, with two consultants. The interviews were tough and the consultants don't provide too much comfort if you get off to a shaky start. This was followed by a 1 hour 'aptitude test', involving verbal and numerical comprehension and reasoning. It started easy then got quite difficult towards the end, and was very business focussed, in comparison to some of the more generic aptitude tests out there.

Interview Questions
  • A case study about a customer service phone company in Kenya. The question was actually asking to calculate the per unit profit.   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Boston Consulting Group

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

I applied online – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in March 2014.

Applied for associate campaign online.
    Only got to first round interviews.

Associate - Consultant Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in London in November 2013. Enjoyed the process and found the staff friendly, interesting and approachable, including my interviewer.

Day consisted of a fairly simple quantitative maths test, a case study interview and online case study test (graph and data interpretation, verbal and numerical).

Interview Questions
    • Business case - need to improve a retail bank's sales force productivity with a focus on their employee incentive scheme   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in November 2013.

Applied online, was invited to take BCG online test. This test is a case based scenario where you need to answer questions based on information you'v been provided. The math is quite easy and you are provided with a calculator. I would suggest to read those questions carefully as they are quite tricky and not as strait forward is they can seem at the first glance.

Interview Questions
    • The fact that you can't move forward unless you have correct answers to previous questions. So check your answers twice before approaching next questions.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madrid (Spain)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madrid (Spain)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

I have to say that I come from a non/Business background with a 6 month master in management, a PhD and post/doc in Biology. The process consisted of a computer based test and 2 rounds of interview with 2 consultants each. The whole process was excellent! Well co-ordinated and with great people. HR people were very nice as well. I admire consultants from BCG for their I.Q, presence and friendly character. The behavioural questions were very easy so I will share my experience with the case interviews.

The cases I got in the first round were- 1. A warehouse that sells construction material is suffering from losses. Typical cost and revenue analysis. The answer was that fixed costs were too high although I had to go though all the possible solutions such as cross/selling, bundled offerings to increase revenue, increase price etc.

2. A man wants to donate money to a certain cause. Was given a chart with details about different projects that required funds. They consisted of development oriented projects or projects that focused on emergency relief. From the chart the best option was the development project since it benefited more number of people and had longterm benefits. (These 2 cases had charts and numbers. You have to be good with numbers. Dont make mistakes)

Second round. 1. Tough and abstract case related to the business valuation of a shipyard. I did not do well in this interview since it was completely out of my league. Sometimes I did not know what the interviewer was looking out for. 2. The case was about entering a new market. A railway contractor who had to choose between Spain, Italy and Germany. You had to see all scenarios, customers, competition, external factors, returns etc and make a decision.The best interviewer of all. Very direct and structured in his approach.

I enjoyed the entire process and learnt a lot from it even though I was not selected. Hope to be able to interview with them again!

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bogotá, Bogota (Colombia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bogotá, Bogota (Colombia)

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

The process had 4 parts:
    1st: CV Selection
    2nd: Analytical Test: 20 GMAT style questions in 20 mins.
    3rd: First round of interviews with 3 consultants.

-->First part was CV and fit questions, they really want to know you know your story. Typical questions at this stage where 'tell me about this on your CV' and 'why consulting and why BCG'.
    -->The second part of the interview was a 30 to 35 min case. The cases are challenging and you have to be very fast with numbers and very organized with the process! I got 3 cases 1 about reevaluating a distribution channel, a loyalty program strategy for a retailer and finally a case about opening a manufacturing facility for a food producer.
    --> Last part you get to chat a bit with the consultants and ask them questions. Be prepared they expect smart questions.
    -->The consultants where very accomplished, smart and friendly people, very open and willing to help you through the cases. Nevertheless you should expect them to be hostile at some point since they also want to test your boiling point.

4th: 2 Interviews with partners.
    -->For the second round The process follows exactly as with the consultants but partner cases where much more difficult. They are more abstract and open ended.
    --> For the partner cases I felt that you really need to excel when you organize your thoughts, be very creative for brainstorming and show that you can be left alone with a client.
    -->The Partners are very smart and have a wide understanding of business (Almost seems like they have seen it all in the business world), they are also very friendly and helpful they wont let you fail in the case, they want you to crack it! i really enjoy their cases. It was clear to me the way they where assessing me.

Interview Questions
    • Explain why Asset Management companies that have low and high volume of assets have high margins while the companies with average volumes have low margins.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Online application, followed by a first round consisting of a 45 minute analytic test and two 1-hour interviews. Each interview consists of 30 mins going over your background and general competency questions, and 30 mins of solving a case.

Interview Questions
    • Cases can vary significantly, one was much harder than the other.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Submitted application through school's career website, then got invited to the first round interviews conducted at my school. There were two interviews: one with a principle, one with a consultant. Both interviews are composed of fit questions and case interview. Interviewers are nice and encouraging. Overall it was a good interview experience

Interview Questions
    • One case interview was about an industry I'm not familiar with, so didn't quickly come up with a good method to do the market sizing   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in December 2012.

It was the first round of interview. One 1 to 1 interview (45min long) and one numerical and reasoning test on computer. People there are verrrry friendly. The interview was a classic consulting firm interview. We started review my CV and then we switch to a case study. We ended with generic questions. The numerical test was much more harder than the exemple the provided me few days before. Do not neglect this part as it was really tough.

Interview Questions
    • About what I disliked the most during my last internship (I wish I had more responsibilities) : Have you asked your superior to have more ?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in November 2012.

Online application + tests (online at their office, other people could read your screen) + interviews. Did not get thru the first interview round: both had brainteasers and it seemed I was doing fine but one of the interviewers was downright rude. Would not give you time to even finish your sentences. Never seen that at McKinsey.

Interview Questions
    • What is the annual income of London Metro system - the interviewer refused to specify whether this includes overground, he would argue with my estimates up to decimals (!)
      Just a confusing experience. Again, nothing like that with McKinsey