Boston Consulting Group

Average Difficulty
3 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Düsseldorf (Germany)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in June 2013.

Interview Details – 2 Rounds:
1) 2 Interviews (40% personal, 60% Case) and 1 Online Case (23 questions in approx. 50 minutes)
2) 3 Interviews (40% personal, 60% Case) and BCG Real Life (12 min. each, 3 different business situations, such as slide writing and client communication)

Interview Question – Changing role with consultant in BCG real life   View Answer

Very Difficult Interview

Munich (Germany)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online and got an offer to attend a first round interview day at the London Office (international recruitment - applied for BCG Germany). The first round consisted of two 1:1 interviews and a numerical test. Test was pretty easy and a little bit more 'interesting' than the standard SHL numerical reasoning tests. The interviews consisted of ca. 15min personal questions, 25min case study, 5min questions one could ask the interviewer (case 1: lean production/instant coffee manufacturer; case 2: analyzing potential for increasing profit margins of a mining company). The first interviewer was really tough and asked very aggressive questions; second one was nice and easy going but also a bit more boring.
Got invited for a second round of interviews a few days later, which I attended ca. 1 month after the first round in Germany. This recruitment day consisted of 3 case interviews, a round of 3 smaller tasks (called BCG real life) and a late lunch with a principal from the Munich office. The cases were probably a little bit more difficult than the ones in the first round (1 pharma, 1 non-for-profit, 1 I don't remember) but not much harder than in the first round. The real life tasks were quite challenging as one usually had only 5min preparation time and 5min execution time (e.g. present this written information to me and draft a powerpoint slide). Overall, my impression of the interviewers was a bit less positive after the second round than after the first one, as everyone somehow seemed to be very similar (no exceptional characters).
I did not get the job but got good feedback on the same day. If I had to go for the same interview again I would pay attention to take time myself during the case studies: one major point of criticism was that I should have come to conclusions on my own, meaning without being asked to do so because the time was up. So if you're going for an interview with BCG soon make sure to keep an eye on the watch. Also, I would probably rather apply for an internship as I understood that most of the entry level positions are basically given to former interns and the interview process for internships is a lot less tedious.

Interview Question – When did you ever move out of your comfort zone?
Why are you realizing only now (after undergraduate degree) that you do not enjoy your subject of study and did not just change your major half-way through your undergraduate degree?
  View Answers (2)

Munich (Germany)

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in December 2010.

Interview Details – In the first round there was a computer based test. Difficulty here could be described along the lines of the GMAT. Key was to identify the key points out of a lot of data. Next to that there were two case based interviews held at their London office (I am studying in London and hence BCG Germany flew over). After I had my final round in Germany consisting of 4 case based interviews that were slightly longer and harder. Unfortunately no offer...make sure you structure the hell out of the cases.

Interview Question – What are your values in life?   Answer Question

Worked for Boston Consulting Group? Contribute to the Community!