Boston Consulting Group

Updated Feb 21, 2015
Updated Feb 21, 2015

3.9

Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

I had 5 cases on my final round with BCG. The first 4 cases when very smooth, completely in-line with how I had prepared, the 5th case was a disaster though. The case was about a competitor moving into a different country, all of the numbers indicated it was the wrong move for them so my recommendation was to ignore them. The Partner doing the case told me that there must be a reason for them to move so I should always follow them at least with a small launch to test the waters. It all went south from there. Didn't get an offer.

Other Interview Reviews for Boston Consulting Group

Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2015.

Three rounds.
    1. One online in-office numerical test. One face-to-face case study (45mn)
    2. One two-hour analysis of a 40 pages document followed by a 20mn presentation with slides (on paper). One face-to-face case study (45mn)
    3. Two face-to-face case study (45mn)

All case studies consist of a first part where the consultant presents herself or himself, followed by your own presentation, motivations and discussion on your background. Then the case itself. Finally a few minutes are kept at the end for questions from you to the consultant on her/his background or on the firm.

Interview Questions
    Very rigid salary and policy so there is no negotiation.

Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Typical consulting interview process. Applied through college and was invited for an on-campus interview. The first round consisted of two interviews (case and behavioral), and the final round, two as well. Everyone was extremely nice and helpful, even if you initially went down a wrong path for the case. The cases themselves were of above average difficulty but were still manageable, given that you manage your time correctly.

Associate Interview

Very quick turn around between interviews, but overall a great experience. Everyone was super helpful and friendly. I can tell that everyone genuinely wanted me to succeed. Unfortaunely, I froze up during one of my final round interviews and it probably costed me the offer, but regardless , it was a great experience, and I would recommdend everyone go through with it.

First round:
    2 40 minute case interviews (few fit questions here and there)

Final round:
    3 40 minute case interviews

Interview Questions
    • During my first round, I was given about 10-12 graphs, and I had to synthesize information from all of these resources, and pull insight to various questions that my interviewer was asking.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

I applied through my school, and got a first round interview. It was two back-to-back 45 minute interviews, with a bit of fit at the beginning, a case, and then some time for questions. The cases were not too difficult, but I think that perfection was required to get through to the second round.

Interview Questions
    • "When did you overcome an issue with trust, and how did you do it?"   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2014.

Applied through my university and was brought in for first-round interviews at the local (Boston in my case) office. Interviews were 45 minutes long, back-to-back: 10 minutes for fit questions, 30 minutes for case interview, 5 minutes for Q&A. Was flown to the Chicago office (my eventual home office) for second-round interviews, which were structured a little differently: 1 verbal case, like in the first round, and one hour and a half written case + presentation. Met many different BCGers along the way and was impressed with how frank and honest they are through the entire process!

Interview Questions
    • Should our client, a worldwide coffee company, focus on growing the existing US market or expanding into China?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2014.

Following my internship at BCG, I was offered to join BCG full-time in Europe. I applied for a transfer to one of the American offices via email. I was asked to come to the office to meet some people for interviews a couple of days after my first inquiry.

Interview Questions
    • No case-interviews, just a friendly getting-to-know each other.   Answer Question
    BCG offers little room for negotiation. I was told the only slack you have is the entry-level. I did not negotiate, however.

Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2014.

Applied online, there is no deadline for this position.The interesting part is they offer me a chat opportunity with associate and analyst who works in BCG New York, not the HR to have the phone interview with me.

Interview Questions
    • Normal questions. Introduce yourself, why consulting, why BCG   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in September 2014.

Applied on line, got a first round interview within 3 weeks. Interview is basically 45 minutes of case solving and some fit questions. A week later had a final round interview was notified after 5 days that I had no offer.

Interview Questions
    • Fit questions were most about experiences while working in a team.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

first round, and then second round.. not much people get invited to the second round. They do reimburse all travel expenses, very nice. One person was nice the other was not: almost stress interview-- never smiled throughout the whole process!

Interview Questions
    • for foreign offices, you are required to do some translation test   Answer Question