Boston Consulting Group Associate Interview Questions

Updated Jul 4, 2015

3.9

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (London, England (UK)) in January 2015.

Interview

The interview process was very rigorous with 3 rounds and a total of 7 interviews. However, the interviewers were very friendly and accommodating for my situation, which meant I had to conduct all interviews over video conference. Typical consulting interview structure with case + fit/behavioural portion.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I didn't attempt to negotiate my salary as I assumed it would be pretty standard for graduate roles.

Other Interview Reviews for Boston Consulting Group

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

The interview process was very professional and organized. Each one lasts about 45 minutes. The interviewers were quite experienced and nice, and they were quite fun to talk with. The experience was awesome.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Atlanta, GA) in May 2015.

Interview

The process was challenging and very well organized. Throughout the process I was presented multiple opportunities to practice cases with employees. Everyone I spoke to during the process was very thoughtful and seemed to genuinely want me to succeed. During my last interview with a Senior Partner, it was described to me that BCG invests heavily in its people, including prospective employees. After I accepted my offer, I received congratulation e-mails and phone calls from majority of the individuals that I had met during the process. It was a great experience.

Interview Questions

• How would members of your past teams describe you? Give examples of how you demonstrated those characteristics.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

The In Basket case is really challenging. I made the mistake of underpreparing and was rightly rejected due to a bad performance. I would recommand going to website with in basket cases and doing them even if they are not related to consulting (since there is so few ressources on consulting in basket case)

Interview Questions

• Why did you present these slides the way that you did?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

2 interviews. First one on campus consisted of 2 45 minute interviews with a Project Leader and Principal. Second interivew consisted of 3 45 minute interviews in the office I applied to, 2 of which were with Partners and one with a Principal. Each interview consisted of a few minutes of the typical interview (tell me about yourself, why consulting, why BCG, tell me about a time when... etc.) and a case interview (suppose X company is thinking about expanding into Y market - should they do it?) that was very difficult.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Zürich (Switzerland)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Zürich (Switzerland)) in April 2015.

Interview

Reguläre schriftliche Bewerbung 2 Interviewrunden First Round: Drei Gespräche mit Consultant, Projektleiter und Partner Second Round: Drei Gespräche mit 1 Projektleiter und 2 Partner Ca. 20-25 mins Persönlichkeit und 20-25 mins case. Atmosphäre durchwegs angenehm, jedoch hat jeder Interviewer seinen eigenen Stil. Sehr wichtig ist meiner Meinung nach, dass wirklich rüberkommt das man unbedingt zu BCG möchte.

Interview Questions

• Wenn Sie die Zeit zurückdrehen könnten: Was würden Sie anders machen?   1 Answer

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Taipei (Taiwan)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Taipei (Taiwan)) in March 2015.

Interview

15 minutes non-case interview. Interview with senior associate and HR. The tempo is very fast, and interviewers don't want you to think too long. Interviewers have poker face, so the pressure is kind of high. The interview start with English and then goes to Chinese. They are keep testing how did you solve problems, after you answer a question.

Interview Questions

• Self-Introduction. 3 Strengths and Weakness, how did you solve your weakness. Biggest accomplishment. Hardest challenge at previous work,how did you solve it.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

I was first asked a few questions on my profile (educational background and previous professional experience). We spent about 10 min discussing my undergraduate dissertation project (mostly questions around the methodology), during which the interviewer challenged me with his own opinions on what can and should be investigated (and, more disappointingly, where scientific truth lies).

Interview Questions

• 'I am an investor wanting to build a high speed rail project between Washington DC and New York. Should I make an investment or not?'   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

Smooth application process, though it took a bit longer than I expected till HR set a date for the first round. First round: online case, two 1-on-1 case interviews. Online case: Tests basic math, memory, logic etc. Tougher than standard SHL tests. First case interview: I followed the "perfect" basic framework (which two contacts of mine working at the same company confirmed afterwards) but the solution the interviewer wanted lied at the very micro-level. The interviewer (I think) "stress-tested" me with some tough/borderline aggressive questions, which in principle is fine, but it created a somewhat uncomfortable setting. Second case interview: No "stress-test", comfortable setting. Straightforward case about determining future revenue of an apparel retailer. The interviewer made me revise my initial calculations (which were correct) by adding extra math, which the interviewer asked me to do in my head without pen and paper.

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

Had a week to prepare. The interview consists of both a face-to-face interview and a computer based test. The interviewers' name and cv is shared beforehand. The face-to-face interview is a consulting case relevant to the interviewers' background. This interview is tough, but doable with a lot of preparation (which I didn't have enough of). Mental arithmetic is a key skill to have, and well practiced. The online test is also doable, but be sure you are good at interpreting economic graphs. The process is stressful, but pleasant.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be in consulting.   1 Answer