Boston Consulting Group

Getting the Interview

Average Difficulty
101 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Interviewed at Boston Consulting Group

Interview Details – first round, and then second round.. not much people get invited to the second round. They do reimburse all travel expenses, very nice. One person was nice the other was not: almost stress interview-- never smiled throughout the whole process!

Interview Question – for foreign offices, you are required to do some translation test   Answer Question

Associate

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in March 2014.

Interview Details – The hiring proces was as i had expected, although the interviewers were more friendly then I had anticipated. Overall I experienced the hiring and interview process as very pleasant. Focus was, next to the cases, on personal development. How did you develop over the past years, how would you like to develop yourself in the years to come, etc..

Interview Question – Compared to about three years ago, what are three major changes that you, as a person, have been through, and how do you look back on these changes.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation possible. Only about the start date.

Associate

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in February 2010.

Interview Details – The recruitment process starts with a short math skills test. You have to answer correctly as many questions as possible in the alloted time. If you do well you get invited to the first round of interviews.

In the first round I was interviewed by a Consultant and a Project Leader. The first interview was more open-ended and consisted mainly in checking whether you had some understanting of basic bussiness concepts and why were you interested in the company (prepare this answer. Not just consulting, but BCG). The second one was about determining the market size for a specific economic activity (real estate developers, in my case).

The second round of interviews was with two principals and a partner. The first interview was about suggesting improvements to a company (a sandbox type of question, in my experience, I would guess the idea is to understand how you think), the second one was a brain teaser (think "How many tennis balls could you fit in a Boeing 787) while the third interview, with the partner, was about the strategy a retailer should follow to increase its sales.

Interview Question – Most questions are easy, but make sure to check the information available before you start making calculations. And, very important, don't get nervous or you'll end up missing a lot of critical information.   Answer Question

Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in July 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online and was contacted by email 2 weeks later. I was told that they only have one interview date every month, and was then scheduled for two back-to-back case interviews at their office 2 months later. On the interview day, I was given some information on my interviewers before being led to the interview room. Unfortunately I did not make it pass this round, but was told that there would be 2 more rounds of interviews before the whole process is concluded.

Interview Question – A few motivation and behavioral questions, followed by business cases   Answer Question

Tokyo (Japan)

Interviewed at Boston Consulting Group

Interview Details – I had an initial phone interview, was then invited to a face-to-face interview in the office. The 1st interview went pretty good. The interviewer was friendly and I was able to solve the case with little help. The 2nd interview was scheduled the following week. I had a terrible experience with this one. First, the interviewer was late for 10 min (not sure if he did it on purpose). Then when he finally arrived, he just gave me a stack of paper, asked me to solve the case, and said he would be back in 25 min to see what I have to say. So for the next half an hour, I was just sitting there, working on my paper test. The worst thing was that the whole thing was in Japanese, and I didn't get to ask any clarifying questions!!! When the interviewer came back to the room, he asked me to present my findings in Japanese (totally didn't expect that since the first two interviews were in English). After the case, we had a short talk and he asked me all the typical interview questions.

Interview Question – Solving the case in Japanese   Answer Question

Interviewed at Boston Consulting Group

Interview Details – applied through my school, had 2 rounds of interviews (3 interviews in each round)

Interview Question – tell me about a risk you took and if it paid off   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in December 2011.

Interview Details – 3 rounds.

Interview Question – Case study related questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation possible

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2013.

Interview Details – First and final round interviews were a week apart. Hiring process took a month overall.

Interview Question – Standard consulting interview. Nothing unexpected.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Boston Consulting Group

Interview Details – Referred internally, called in for two first round interviews a week or so later. The interviewers were extremely personable during the introductions and behavioral questions. When we got into the cases, I stumbled a bit, but they tactfully urged me in the right direction. I knew I wasn't going to get called back for second rounds after bungling one of the cases, but they spared me a lot of embarrassment and then gave me constructive feedback afterwards.

Interview Question – When one interviewer saw that I was writing out the math, he asked me to do specific calculations in my head, without pen and paper. Being put on the spot made it very difficult.   View Answer

Oslo (Norway)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview Details – I applied online and was then invited to the first-round interview which consisted of two case interview and a 45 minute online mathematical reasoning test (which you need to do on site). The interview process consist of in total 3 rounds (all with case interviews), but I did not make it to the 2nd round.

Interview Question – The cases weren't that difficult but I guess I got too nervous and couldn't think clearly   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Boston Consulting Group

Worked for Boston Consulting Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Boston Consulting Group Associate interview questions and advice. All 101 interview reviews posted anonymously by Boston Consulting Group employees and interview candidates.