Boston Consulting Group

Average Difficulty
101 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2011.

Interview Details – Very nice some case interviews, use Case In Point

Interview Question – Market sizing: how many people would use a drug that prevents baldness?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No typically the same salary

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2011.

Interview Details – I was contacted for an on campus interview with BCG through my school's standard career services system.
The first round interview was on campus and was comprised of 2 case interviews. Each case was done in a separate room with a Consultant (post-MBA) from the firm. Most of my interviewers had been at the firm for about a year. I was contacted about a final round interview within 48 hours of my first interview. At this point they would discuss what potential offices you might want to work in, and eventually decide which office you'd prefer to interview for.

The final round was in the specific office I wanted to work in, in this case New York. The final round is comprised of 3 case interviews with Principals or Partners. I received my offer the same evening.

Interview Question – Why consulting and why BCG?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – N/A

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2011.

Interview Details – Three interviews over the course of three hours (all one on one). Typical business scenario analysis, coupled with the typical interview questions (why us, why consulting, etc.). To those with a finance background, or those who have memorized Case in Point, these interviews will not be difficult. For a Biology major such as myself, they were!

Interview Question – NO   Answer Question

Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in November 2011.

Interview Details – pretty standard - 1st round of a phone screen, then two 45 minute case interview and behavioral questions.

nice work culture - interviewers seemd like they really wanted to get to know you, the consultants seemed friendly.

Interview Questions

• 2 45 minute long interviews - 1st 15 minutes were case interviews

1st case interview basic profit loss analysis case where you had to find the variable versus fixed cost and when the company uped their prices gave reasoning for price sensitve customers to switch to low cost generic brand.
      Answer Question
  • 2nd case - needed to find profitability within two different manufacturing plants. needed to find a way to utilize waste product.   Answer Question

Boston, MA

The process took a day - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in September 2011.

Interview Details – Two sets of case studies & five-minute personal interview. Time for questions at the end. Cases were straightforward, all required integration of algebraic calculations at some step. Both involved segmentation of markets.

Interview Question – Name an instance where you put forth material that was not fully prepared, and defend why.   Answer Question

Boston, MA

The process took a day - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2011.

Interview Details – First-round interviews were on-campus and consisted of two 45-minute interviews. Interviews consisted of the usual behavioral questions followed by a case. The second case was very math-intensive. Interviewers were somewhat friendly but not the kind of people I would want to work with.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for us?   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Washington, DC

Interview Details – Tough but manageable cases. Very dependent on the mood of your interviewer. Even if you ace all the cases, if one interviewer doesn't LOVE you you will not get an offer (words direct from the HR Director). Seems arbitrary, but they have had a lot of success in the past so who are we to question their methods. Do LOTS of case prep and know your behavioral answers cold before you go in.

Interview Question – Describe a time you swayed the opinions of others.   Answer Question

Boston, MA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2011.

Interview Details – I passed round 1 (which consisted of two case interviews with Consultants). The interviews were on Monday and on Wednesday they called me and said that I got into the final round. However, this was scheduled already for Friday, so I did not have much time to prepare. The final round consisted of three interviews with Partners. I did not pass one of those three interviews (I was told that I needed too much guidance), so I did not get the offer... Overall, it was a pleasant experience. The only downside was the short amount of time that I had to prepare for the final round...

Interview Questions

New York, NY

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2011.

Interview Details – 1st round - Two 45-min interviews (10 min behavioral, 30 min case, 5 min Q&A)
Final Round - Three 45-min interviews (same format)

Practice practice practice cases - BCG cases are probably the toughest out of MBB. At the end of the day, a strong behavioral will help but it won't carry you to an offer. Interviews don't have to be perfect, but you have to be solid/strong on all 5 cases in order to get it.

Think out loud, structure everything, hypothesize then verify/negate with data, synthesize well, provide risks/next steps.

Interview Question – What role do you take on a team?   Answer Question

Boston, MA

The process took 5 days - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2011.

Interview Details – First interviewed on campus. Two one on one interviews with Consultants and Case Team Leaders. Started with a couple fit questions and then a case. These cases were pretty quant heavy. There were many exhibitions that required the candidate to to analyze graphs and PnL statements.

Was called back for decision round interviews that evening, which took place the next day in the Boston Office. Those interviews consisted of 3 one on one interviews with mostly parters. Two were case interviews and one was fit.

Interview Question – How do you choose members of your team? What attributes do you look for?   Answer Question