Boston Consulting Group

Average Difficulty
101 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2011.

Interview Details – Interviewers were very nice. However I'm still waiting for response. I heard people usually get called the same evening or next day, but it's been 4 days and I haven't heard anything.

Chicago, IL

The process took a day - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2011.

Interview Details – 2 back-to-back 45-minute interviews with project leaders on campus. One focused on whether or not an asset mgmt firm should expand into China, one focused on joint-product development. Fair mix of quantitative/qualitative. One interviewer was very confusing in explaining problem correctly and did not give me necessary data, so I did not do as well as I could have and as not invited back for second round.

Interview Question – Should asset mgmt company expand into China if their stock market indices are growing by 80% a year while the american indices are growing at only 5%   View Answer

New York, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in May 2011.

Interview Details – I went to the NY office for the first round of interviews. It was two 1:1 interviews with the first 10-15 minutes focusing on "fit" questions while the next 30-40 mins focused on a business case.
The first 1:1 went really well - aced both parts of the interview. However the next 1:1 didn't go as smoothly, solely because I don't think we got a good feeling for each other. She seemed rather tired and bored (interviewed 5 candidates in one day).

Interview Question – This X company would like to expand its business to Y business and they will only do it if they can make profit....should they go ahead with it?   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Boston, MA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in April 2011.

Interview Details – Two case interviews back to back. I bombed the first but not the second. Since the first guy was calling the shots they decided not to pursue. Cases were standard profitability problems with a few curve balls, nothing unheard of. My advice: prepare as many cases as possible with people who've done these, not with friends who will help you crack the case as they mock interview you.

Interview Question – Calculations of odd percentages within profitability case   View Answer

Boston, MA

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in February 2011.

Interview Details – The interview process was set up via email with BCG. I had a first round interview scheduled and was informed beforehand that I would be interviews by 2 people that day. Additionally, each interview would also be case interviews where I would go through the analysis of a specific case study and formulate a final recommendation at the end.

The office in Boston is located at State Street and is an incredible building. The office was very open with a lot of open space as well as glass walls. When I arrived there was a room with water and breakfast items as well as someone from the company sitting in the waiting area conversing with you.

Both interviewers were very welcoming and friendly. The first case study was to analyze an internal problem regarding the sales of a specialty insurance company (ie. motorcycles, ATVs, jetskis, snowmobiles, etc.). I made it through the analysis with a hint from the interviewers and came to a viable conclusion. The second case study I forget. Overall, the case studies were very similar to those they provide on the BCG website.

Interview Question – What is the internal problem of an insurance company that has both automobile and specialty insurance. They are investing equal parts into both divisions, but the profit from specialties is not doing quite as well as automobile. The customers have no complaints with the service. The problem is internal within the company itself. Take a look at the compensation plan for the sales associates. The commissions for automobile insurance are twice that of specialty insurance.   View Answer

Boston, MA

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in September 2010.

Interview Details – 2 cases on campus; 2 final round cases and 1 fit interview. Everyone was friendly, but that meant they let you keep on talking even if you were going in the wrong direction in the case. focus on the big picture don't go on tangents

Interview Question – Steel company is facing declining profits and thinking of acquiring a competitor. How would you evaluate the situation   Answer Question

Boston, MA

The process took a day - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in June 2010.

Interview Details – Graduate Associate position at BCG. Typical case studies, first round was very basic business situations, 1) 1 outsourcing telephone line repair services for a Telecoms company, a lot of basic math. 2) A bit more abstract and strategy case consisting of heavy metals industry and their future strategy. Final round was a mixed bag, in the end it came to screwing up one case study and therefore no job offer. If I had to do it over, I think I would have

Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in November 2009.

Interview Details – Interviewed with BCG as part of on campus recruiting. Did my first round interviews at the Boston Office, met with two consultants, two standard case interviews that started first a little bit with behavioral (leadership experience, team work) from my resume, then a case with each of them. One of the cases involved looking for graphs, but you have to ask for them, so if you feel that you need data to solve the case, be sure to ask.

Second round interview in the DC office (your rank top 3 preferred office locations, they fly you to one of them). I had heard that BCG case interviews tended to be very structured with graphs and diagrams, but I got one very open-ended case that surprised me.

Interview Questions

• A travel magazine is trying to decide whether to raise their prices. Do a back-of the envelope calculation for what this would mean to their business.   Answer Question
  • There is a medical company who have designed a treatment that appears to be cheaper and more efficient than existing methods, yet doctors are hesitant to use it. Why do you think that is?   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Atlanta, GA

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2009.

Interview Details – The HR folks here are top notch, and they go out of their way to sell you on the interview experience. Absolutely best in class HR.

Phone screen interview was mostly behavioral and verification of background, experience, and general fit.

Two weeks later, was flown to the Atlanta office for a series of 4 1:1 interviews with directors/partners.
Interviews here were case based and "think on your feet" type situations. The last interview was down right impossible as it was about an industry I knew nothing about. I thought I had completely bombed the interview, but ended up getting the offer.

Interview Question – Case interview:   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I took an offer with another management consulting firm.

Chicago, IL

The process took 5 days - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2009.

Interview Details – First round interviews were on campus and consisted of two short case interviews -- one with a Consultant and one with a Partner. The Partner played bad cop, yawned, and shot down most responses. After surviving that round, the second round is three interviews at the office location of your preference with Partners. Generally these interviewers were friendly. Half the time was allotted for "fit" questions, and the rest for the cases. They got back to us about decisions that afternoon.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Boston Consulting Group