Boston Consulting Group Business Analyst Interview Questions & Reviews

12 interviews

3.8

12 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Business Analyst Interview

Submitted CV and cover letter, received a response within a few weeks, had to wait another month or so to interview. Interviewed with two consultants, one business case, one brainteaser-type case, plus a few competency questions from each interviewer, plus the BCG numerical test at the end.

Interview Questions
  • Tell me about a time it was better to do something on your own than in a team.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Boston Consulting Group

Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2013.

First round had two 45 minute interviews with ~5 minutes behavioral, ~35 minutes case, ~5 minutes questions. Interviewers were very friendly, helpful, and encouraging. Second round had a 15 minute fit interview with a recruiting director and two 45 minute interviews with senior partners, same distribution of time. Partners weren't as encouraging, but that's expected.

Interview Questions
    • Talking about the effect of a new product entering a market on the elasticity of supply and demand in that market and in the raw materials market.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2012.

I applied for one of their international positions through my school's career development site. I initially applied and within one week, I received a phone screen from a recruiter. Afterwards, I was invited to an on-site interview in Chicago (that's where they did all the interviews for all international hires). In Chicago, I have 2 1:1 interviews with senior analysts. The first half of each interview was a case study and the later detailed our background and interests in BCG.

Interview Questions
    • The CEO of the company in you case walks into the elevator. Make a 1 minute pitch on your answer to his problem.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in November 2011.

I attended an info session and then submitted my cover letter and resume. The first round interview consisted of 1 on 1 interviews with 3 different people. They all gave me hypothetical scenarios and asked me to provide a solution. I was allowed to ask them questions as well.

Interview Questions
    • A coal mining company with majority market share in Canada is witnessing declining profits. Find out what's wrong.   View Answer

Business Analyst Interview

The process took a day - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2011.

Everyone at BCG was very friendly and helpful throughout the process. Getting to the interview stage depended primarily on your resume and ability to make a connection with a representative at the information sessions. The info session is the first step--don't miss it. The interview itself was two case interviews with two different BCG people. I would advise focusing on sharpening your business vocabulary, reading business newspapers, and practicing some cases (don't go overboard here). The cases are not all that matters. You also need to interact well with the interviewer and demonstrate your understanding of the business world.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about an area that you are considered an expert in, how you came to be considered an expert, and how you used that position.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2010.

I went through on campus recruiting. First round consisted of two one-on-one interviews. You could select three location preferences. NYC was my top choice, and I was invited to a final round in that office. The final round consisted of three case interviews with senior level consultants. People were all very nice. I remember one of the cases I had at the final round was heavily focused on interpreting graphs and charts. I think that was the case that I tripped up on. I would prepare by going over graphs more and practice interpreting them in a short amount of time.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Paris (France)
    Anonymous Employee in Paris (France)

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2011.

The numerical test was not very difficult, but under time constraint, it could be quite stressful. Hard to say which one of completion and correction is more important. I think that they equally count and the result really depends on situation. If you finish 20 correct out of 26, it could be considered a good shot. If you only finish half (13/26) and make sure that all of them are correct, it might be a neutral result. Less than that, I don't think that it would pass. This is all according to the feedback I got from both consultancy-insiders and interviewees like me.

The interviewer was late for about 20 mins. Well, sometimes it could happen...but I have to admit that 20 mins sitting alone in a closed meeting room really annoyed me. The case was a pretty easy profitability case, but I didn't crack it well. BCG interview was the first consulting interview I've had, so I was not surprised by the feedback that I need make improvement in structure-building and faster mental math (I am from a science background, so I am definitely not awkward at math) . Actually I got to know before that you could never make a math mistake during the consulting interview (especially the top 3 or 4 cabinets), coz you would be pretty sure to be rejected if there was ever an error in math. So I took a little bit more time to revalidate my math before giving the result. The results were all correct but the feedback said clearly that the interviewer was still expecting a correct answer in just a few seconds. Apparently there is no secret on the requirement of mental-math ability for the strategy consultancy firms. The only way to improve that is by practicing and polishing the math skill.

Also the interviewer test my poise under pressure; I think that this was a sponaneous test given occasion, not always expected. According to the feedback, I behaved pretty well on this point.

Interview Questions
    • The profitability of a company in the brown industry was down. Analyze it. The definition of the brown industry was given.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in November 2010.

the cases the first round were fine, but in the second round, with three cases, blow one and you're done. it's the nature of the business. The cases ranged from pharma to consumer retail to the airline industry.

Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2010.

2 45 minute interviews...30 minute cases, and 15 minute fit.

Business Analyst Interview

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in April 2010.

1) One 2 one interview with a HR manager about myself, my school experience, my perspectives and my skills
    2) computer based testing: about 20 answers in about 40 minutes. It was a reasoning test, seeming like GMAT math quiz

Interview Questions
    • Why did you choose to propose your candidature for BCG and not for another company in the industry?   View Answer

Worked for Boston Consulting Group? Contribute to the Community!