Boston Consulting Group

Getting the Interview

114 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Dallas, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2013.

Interview Details – Submit my resume through campus recruiting in September. Got selected for interviews. The first round was on campus, two case interviews. Each interview took about 30 minutes. Second round was on-site in October. There were 3 case interviews. Case interviews were similar to those in the first round.

Interview Question – There was a very hard case in the second round.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Boston Consulting Group

Interview Details – Initially picked up via a 3rd party recruitment firm. Submitted CV and covering letter for specific BCG team (IVI Taskforce). Attended first round interview at which I met two BCG employees, one specifically from IVI team and one more senior general strategist. Both interviews had all the standard cultural fit and CV exploration. Both had a case study element, one relating to to a Swiss bank looking to reduce costs.

Interview Question – Maths elements of both case studies were quite complex and you were invited to ask questions or clarify. However interviewer sat right next to you which was slightly off-putting.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Boston Consulting Group

Interview Details – - Comprehensive hiring process on campus; several networking sessions and dinners / cocktails
- BCG supported the interview process by organizing mock interviews with candidates
- Interview itself comprises 2 rounds of 2-3 45-min interviews (10-min behavioral, 30-min case and 5 mins to discuss other questions)

Interview Question – Nothing out-of-the-blue in terms of question. However, in second round with partners, it's likely that the interview structure could be non-traditional depending on the "mood" of the partner interviewing. Possible to end up even as a conversation / discussion about a topic of interest. But note that you are still being assessed on structured thinking, creativity, insights, etc.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

I applied online and interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview Details – interviews after Bridge to BCG program

Interview Question – During the second interview, the interviewer asked me to read some data first without asking for a framework.   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in February 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online, flown to SF office, passed 1st round but did not make it past final round.

Interview Question – One of cases was really hard and technical.   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in August 2011.

Interview Details – Great interview experience. Two rounds of interview - a case interview on the phone and followed by three case interviews at the office. The process was smooth. One of the case interviews was hard. However the importance is more on your thought process rather than getting the answer.

Consultant

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview Details – College campus initiated process with a resume drop. First round: 3 separate 30 minute interviews (resume and business case). Second round: 4 separate 30 minute interviews (resume and business case).

Interview Question – "Case interview" questions   View Answer

Consultant

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview Details – Two rounds of interviews. 2 back to back case interview each round. Good learning experience. Unfortunately I didn't get the offer. Very professional experience.

Interview Question – Who are you?   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2012.

Interview Details – For PhD with a science/engineering background at a target school, the process starts with on campus recruitment. Getting an interview largely depends on the quality of the resume, which should really stand out as they probably spend no more than 30 sec on each in the screening process. Previous internship at Fortune 500 companies is (almost) a must as there are more people with it than they recruit. PhDs are hired at the same level as MBAs so the competition is fierce. There are two rounds of interviews and most people get cut in the 1st round. Interviewee driven style for cases so if you don't get to the point they will just stare at you. At least 3 months of preparation is necessary, but you can spend a year to prepare and still get cut in the first round, which happened to tens of people I know. Don't get obsessed in this. Luck is most important.

Interview Question – Tell me a time you have to convince someone to do something he/she originally wasn't willing to.   View Answer

San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in September 2013.

Interview Details – I went to several presentations on campus and spoke to many of the ADC consultants from the west coast. Everyone was extremely friendly and open. It helps to network before submitting the cover letter through the website.
Once submitted, they were a little inconsistent in letting people know whether they had a first round interview. They invited us to an interview prep workshop 2 days before which was nice but a little too late. My interviewers were great but I ultimately was unable to read the situation and do well.

Interview Question – Business case didn't feel like the practice ones given. Case on solar panels. Not quite interviewer or interviewee led. Still was interesting even though I could tell by their body language that I was not going on to the next round.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Boston Consulting Group

Worked for Boston Consulting Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Boston Consulting Group Consultant interview questions and advice. All 114 interview reviews posted anonymously by Boston Consulting Group employees and interview candidates.