Boston Consulting Group Consultant Interview Questions

Updated Oct 22, 2014

3.8

138 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Consultant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Final round: Two interviews with two principals. One focusing on personal experience and a short case, one with a "written case" and more in-depth personal experience questions. For the written case, one is supposed to spend 45 min reading the materials (a slide deck and a memo in my case) and then present to the interviewer their thinking process and findings.

Interview Questions
  • What are you passionate about? What wakes you up in the morning?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Boston Consulting Group

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

I went through on the ADC track and had two round of interviews. Everyone was friendly, professional and encouraging to the extent that I started to feel a real connection with the company. Unfortunately I was not extended an offer after the second round. I would highly recommend BCG. it's a really great place if you can get in.

Interview Questions
    • Second round interview consisted of a standard 45-minute interview as well as a written case that was 1 1/2 hrs in total. Key to solving both: prioritize goals, keep structure clean, state conclusions succinctly.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2014.

1st round, two case interviews, not very hard. I am a PhD, and don't have much business ground, but I think the questions are still not hard. The brainstorming part is to think about factors relevant to how to choose a city for a new restaurant.

Interview Questions
    • Use three words to describe the consulting job   View Answer

Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2014.

Campus recruitin. Typical two rounds interview for ADCs. First rounds were relatively formal and cases were typical ones compared to the practice cases. Final round case with partner was difficult. Fit questions were also more challenging (ask failure, etc.) Didn't get the offer.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time that you worked in a team and you were the problem.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Networking is key to get a interview slot. Very important to identify the office of choice and have a strong reason as to why that office suits you well. Half the battle is behavioral, so trying to "crack" only the case interview may not be sufficient. Need to front load the networking and get into the list of interviews and then focus on working on the case interview. BCG case interviews are usually open ended unlike other consulting firms. You are expected to drive the process by yourself.

Interview Questions
    • No bouncers, straight forward questions. The case can be tricky at time, esp. the second round ones which are with the partners   Answer Question
    Not much room for negotiation on salary - potentially joining date etc are negotiable

Consultant Interview

went through case study where they talked about an oil company and the financial difficulties and there was some other companies that also played a part. Many of the companies sold energy or worked on energy. The interviewer was very nice, not very chatty. Some of the other questions were very standard things like working in groups, conflict etc.

Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in September 2014.

I attend a target school, so I was able to speak directly with the recruiting manager and a few consultants (through information sessions) before applying. Once selected for an interview, I did so at the local office before a final round at my office of choice:

Round one (two interviews: 15 minutes of fit, 30 minutes of case) - The interview begins as soon as your interviewer picks you up from the waiting area. Start making conversation right away! As soon as we sat down, my interviewer already started to make comments on her notepad from our interaction in the hallway. Both interviewers had no unexpected questions, if you search for "fit interview questions" on the internet, and read through them, you'll be fine. Although, my second interviewer did try to give me a slight stress test with 3 or 4 "what else" questions, but nothing more intense than that. Cases were a lot more simple than the practice cases, if you're breezing through the LBS casebooks, you'll be fine. Each one had 1-2 exhibits with very straightforward math. Try and be friendly, and work some humor into the conversation and you'll be fine.

Round two (same format as first round, with a written case preceding one of the interviews) - The case interview was not as bad as expected. You have 45 minutes to read over the material. Treat it like a normal case...read over the prompt and identify the question, spend 60 seconds building your framework and deciding what you'll need to know to answer your question, use 5 minutes to go through the slides to read titles and decide what you'll want to keep, spend another 5 minutes digesting the slides you deemed worthwhile, spend 10-15 minutes diving into those slides and calculating anything you may need, spend 10-15 minutes building your story/answer, spend 5 minutes practicing your story, and take any additional time to review the slides one last time for any additional insight you could add now that you have an answer. After that, the rest of the interviews are pretty fun in this round. Regardless of what happens, they want you to walk away with a good impression of the firm, so you will have fun in this round. The people are extremely nice and the fit questions are well within you comfort zone.

Interview Questions
    • Fit: Why consulting? Why BCG? Tell me about a time you had an impact on a team? Tell me about a time that you caused a team to struggle or fail.

Case: Risk/benefit, Profitability (with retailer adoption twist), Go/no go market entry, Profitability
        View Answer
    No negotiation on salary, but with a competing offer, they're willing to be flexible on a number of other factors.

Consultant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in September 2014.

Upon getting the notification email for interview, I was also given the option to attend their case workshop. Very beneficial, especially for candidates not too familiar with doing cases. Through the workshop, candidates can also learn more about the BCG interview style. Aside from general info, we did two cases with two different consultants. For the 1st round in office interview, which consisted of 2 interview sessions, within each, there were a fit question portion, 30 min case, then Q&A. Interviewers were nice, the interview process itself seemed very casual and more conversational.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpectedly, an interviewer asked me about my thesis project, which is very heavy on science.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in September 2014.

The first round interview consisted of two 40 minute back-to-back case interviews with the first 10-15 minutes of each devoted to behavioral questions. The interviewers were very nice and seemed to sincerely want you to perform well on the cases. The interview was the result of an employee referral. After communicating with recruiting, I had approximately a month to push back the interview in order to prepare.

Interview Questions
    • One of the business cases involved evaluating whether a supermarket chain should expand its offerings.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in September 2014.

I interviewed as an ADC (2yr postdoc experience in the life sciences). People were extremely friendly. Went through two rounds of two 45 min interviews each. First round with a consultant and a principal, second/decision round with a partner and a senior partner. Cases were difficult but fair; more emphasis on fit and creativity within your framework.

Interview Questions
    • Why is your research relevant? (What followed was a debate on the pros and cons; did my best to be polite but emphatic)   Answer Question