Boston Consulting Group Consultant Interview Questions

3.8

123 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2012.

For PhD with a science/engineering background at a target school, the process starts with on campus recruitment. Getting an interview largely depends on the quality of the resume, which should really stand out as they probably spend no more than 30 sec on each in the screening process. Previous internship at Fortune 500 companies is (almost) a must as there are more people with it than they recruit. PhDs are hired at the same level as MBAs so the competition is fierce. There are two rounds of interviews and most people get cut in the 1st round. Interviewee driven style for cases so if you don't get to the point they will just stare at you. At least 3 months of preparation is necessary, but you can spend a year to prepare and still get cut in the first round, which happened to tens of people I know. Don't get obsessed in this. Luck is most important.

Interview Questions
  • Tell me a time you have to convince someone to do something he/she originally wasn't willing to.   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Boston Consulting Group

Consultant Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Long and strenuous interview process, but a great experience

Interview Questions
    • I was asked about a trucking company that was experiencing revenue loss year-over-year.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2011.

Two rounds of interviews, first round involved 2 interviews with project leaders and second round 3 interviews with principals and partners. Standard management consulting interviews with half time spent on case study and other half spent on your personal story/background. Very tough interview, but overall a very pleasant experience with a great group of people.

Interview Questions
    • Case interview involving mining company that pioneered a new mining process that made extensive ore deposits accessible but required new equipment not commercially available. Should they manufacturer in-house or contract to outside firms?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2011.

2 interviews first round (background and case)
    3 interviews final round (background and case)

BCG has a very transparent interview process, they let you know exactly what you are going to be doing. That being said, they expect perfection - my interviews all went well (I would say my final round interviews were just as good as my first round interviews) but that wasn't enough to get the offer. Answer one question wrong or pause for 2 seconds on one part of one case, and you're sunk.

They are very professional and amicable, recruiting services were wonderful. Only thing that could have been better is if I got the job.

Interview Questions
    • Typical cases on revenue stream changes in a pharma company.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

The process took a day - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2011.

I had my first round interview on campus with BCG. As someone with an advanced non-business degree, I knew I was going to be a somewhat unusual candidate. Accordingly, I spent months preparing for the case interviews and general fit questions.

My interview was the final one of the day. Unfortunately, it quickly became clear that my interviewer had zero interest in being there at that point. He was extremely short and rude throughout the interview. The case he gave me was a straight numbers problem (which I didn't realize until part of the way through). It was surprisingly difficult, and I struggled both with keeping the numbers straight and dealing with the pressure of the interviewer's attitude.

The second interview went better. The guy was tired, but nice, and the case was somewhat more conventional. However, I knew by then that it was already a lost cause, so I just kind of struggled through it and got out of there.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Düsseldorf (Germany)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Düsseldorf (Germany)

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2011.

I got an invitation for a job interview through participation in a workshop. Interview process consisted of 2 interview rounds on two different days.
    First round: introductory presentation of the firm, two 1to 1 interviews. Personal fit questions, and case in each. Impression: positive, the interviewer were friendly and supportive. Cases were not difficult. First firm trading steel tries to reduce the cost - the answer more or less to reduce administration cost. Second case: supply chain track production was taking more days than the competetive firm. The answer - the orders for the suppliers were sent too late.

Second round much more aggressive and less friendly. X-Ray personal fit questions, much harder cases. the interviewer were not that supportive anymore. 4 Interviews: first one included only personal fit. In other three much harder cases. much less initial information and almost no support from the interviewers. First case - Beton production in Germany - market size for a new beton type. Second case two action houses - compare the trade figures and question whether to exclude the items under 5 euros from the inside-trade.
    Third case - opera and opportunity to reduce cost - increase sales.

Interview Questions
    • Should the company produce a new type of concrete for German market? This type is characterized by flat and smooth surface without any additional polishing but can be produced at 20% additional cost.   View Answer

Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in March 2011.

The person interviewing me did everything he could to make me feel uncomfortable, that was I think part of his strategy. I think I could have performed well given a bit more space to breathe. I wish I could have been interviewed at least by one other person. It felt like my interviewer was in a hurry to get me out of there before I started talking, and to be honest he felt snooty and arrogant. I was told to try again in a few years, I most likelly will not.

Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in September 2009.

very organized hiring process. two case interviews with two different consultants on real cases worked on in the past. cases were very solution driven. fit interview to start that focused on who you are and your motivations not just career wise. very professional and cordial interviewers. creative answers and thoughts well received.

Interview Questions
    • What skill would you need to work on most in starting this position?   View Answer
    • How do you manage your work life balance?   View Answer

Consultant Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in November 2008.

All of the communications were highly professional. The interviews were typical of what one would expect, 2 behavioral/case interviews in the first round and 3 behavioral/case interviews in the third round. Preparation is a must to perform well, however having a positive attitude along with some luck always helps. The number of interviews is helpful in getting multiple opportunities to show one's skills; conversely each interview provides a further opportunity to fail. In order to obtain an offer, every interview must go reasonably well.

Interview Questions
    • The interviewee needs to know his/her resume backwards and forwards. Based on my resume, I was asked what my two favorite authors are, why that is so, and what I had read most recently by them. I did not expect the question to be so detailed.   View Answer
    No negotiations.

Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interviews were rigorous and difficult. Important to maintain cool under pressure. Must have hypothesis driven approach and interviewee must drive the case. Good structure and math are expected. Solution - practice... a lot.

1 round interview - 2 interviews in local office. Mix of behavioral and case interviews with Project Leader and Principal.
    Decision round - 3 interviews in the office of choice/preference. Again Mix of behavioral and case interviews with Partners and Principals.

Interview Questions
    • Rigor of the cases. Must have creative solutions yet also suggest implementable solutions to tough problems in a very short time (approx. 25 min cases).   Answer Question
    None. Best in class offers.

Worked for Boston Consulting Group? Contribute to the Community!