Boston Consulting Group

Updated Jul 28, 2014

Average Difficulty
122 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Interviewed at Boston Consulting Group

Interview Details – I applied online after attending information sessions held at university or college. I had two 45 min, one-on-one interviews that each had a short behavioral question followed by a case. Both cases were straight forward, standard cases of the sort that are found in case interview preparation books. Both interviewers were friendly and cheerful. Received a decision email three days later.

Interview Question – Both cases were straight forward cases of the sort that can be found in case interview preparation books like Case in Point.   Answer Question

Consultant

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview Details – I had two cases that were 30 minutes each and before each case there was a 15 min behavioural component. The cases were pretty straight forward. If I had done more prep I think it could have gone quite well. Both interviewers were very friendly and helpful.

Interview Question – The behavioural questions were quite standard.   Answer Question

Consultant

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in May 2014.

Interview Details – I got my resume into the recruiting cycle through a connection. I was told there would be at least two interview rounds, with 2 to 3 interviews at each stage. People were very nice, and they tried to help candidates feel comfortable

Interview Question – The business case was a little confusing because it focused on an example "client" who also had clients, and I'm a little embarrassed to say it was hard to keep everything straight in my mind.   Answer Question

London, England (UK)

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in April 2014.

Interview Details – Applied to the London office. They came to our business school, had a number of information sessions and then screened CVs for the first round. Passed the first round of two interviews and then had three interviews with partners for the second round about ten days later.

In between doing the second (and final) round and getting dinged I got two congratulations e-mails from BCG, one from a 'buddy' who was assigned to me to convince me to join and one from the lead recruiter at our school. Naturally it was very confusing when I got the ding phone call.

They promised to call me later with feedback on my interviews, but never did.

Interview Question – How would you advise the mayor of London to improve the competitiveness of the financial sector?   Answer Question

Consultant
Mexico, Distrito Federal (Mexico)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in April 2013.

Interview Details – I was applying off season so I approached a Partner via my extended network. They liked my profile. Since I was applying off recruiting season and 1 year after graduating from my MBA it took them over a month to schedule the first round of interviews. After the first round with a Principal and a Consultant I passed to the second round.

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview Details – I applied via ADC recruiting at my university. Within two weeks I was notified of an interview the next week. Two simple profitability cases and fit interviews. Second round interview was with two principals, cases were relatively straightforward. Third round with managing partner consisted of creating a business plan in a different era.

Interview Question – A 'just brainstorming' question that turned into a case.   Answer Question

Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in December 2010.

Interview Details – 3 rounds of 2 interviews in each round. Very predictable format - first questions about CV / personality and motivation then case interview. There are books and a lot of resources to prepare for this - do so. Practice with friends or peers at school who are about to apply.

Interview Question – A lot of people mess up on the numbers / math. Be prepared to be able to do juggle numbers quickly either in your head or on a paper.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation. All peers have the same compensation.

Miami, FL

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2013.

Interview Details – BCG came on campus. Resume got selected through the pool. Interview scheduled within two weeks of application.

Two rounds. First one was on campus. Two 30 minutes interview with 5-7 minutes of behavioral then a case study. Both interviews lasted more than 45 minutes.

Second round at the office. Three 30 minutes talk scheduled. This time emphasis more on fit but still a case study involved. Met with few other members at the office as well.

Impression: Super cool bunch of people. Very impressed. I like them better than McKinsey or Bain. Top notch firm...! Take an offer if you get it.

Interview Question – Nothing out of the ordinary or trick question. Case study was straight forward. They try to help you along like you're working on an assignment together. Show them your work while discussing it. DO NOT mess up the simple math and do it on the fly. If you're making math related mistakes, you won't get a second round. Simple as that.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I'm more interested in I-Banking than Consulting.

Sydney (Australia)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in August 2012.

Interview Details – There were 3 rounds of interviews - each of the first 2 rounds were case interviews, an he final round was one case interview and one 'fit' interview. I got into the interview process, when BCG did a presentation at my campus, and I talked to the recruiter that was there, afterward. She put me into the process, and then emailed me to schedule the interviews. The first 2 rounds were in the local BCG office, and the last round was a video-conference with the office I had applied to.

Interview Question – Due to the employment agreement, I can't divulge any specific question. But I can say that I used the prep questions on BCG's website (as well as on Bain's and McK's) to practice case interviews. And I looked at other websites that have case interviews for practice purposes. These really helped with prep. Also I read the Economist regularly, so it was easy to make small talk, or have context for international-type questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate my offer, b/c I knew it was standard for the role for someone coming out of school (like myself). I think if you have additional work experience you can negotiate for more.

Dallas, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2013.

Interview Details – Submit my resume through campus recruiting in September. Got selected for interviews. The first round was on campus, two case interviews. Each interview took about 30 minutes. Second round was on-site in October. There were 3 case interviews. Case interviews were similar to those in the first round.

Interview Question – There was a very hard case in the second round.   Answer Question

Worked for Boston Consulting Group? Contribute to the Community!