Boston Consulting Group

Updated Mar 2, 2015

3.8

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in August 2014.

First round was two 45min case interviews back to back in the office closest to my University. The next round was in Boston office, with one 45min case interview and a second written case interview. The written case is a new format started by few BCG offices. You get 25-30 slides with a set of questions, and 45min to analyze them. It is followed up with a presentation and discussion with a principal/partner.

Other Interview Reviews for Boston Consulting Group

Consultant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Started the process through a referral. The process consists of three rounds, the first just being a test similar to the GMAT but not multiple choice, only math, 20 questions in 20 minutes.
    Then two 45 minute interviews, going over experience and some personal details, but mostly focusing on the case studies. These are cases that BCG actually worked on and summarized in a way that you can have a general sense and provide some insight. It's important to show your reasoning as you go along, as well as ask questions to be sure that you're getting all the information.
    I didn't make it to the second and final round, but from what I understood it's the same case study format, just with more senior members of the team.
    Everyone I dealt with, really everyone, was extremely polite, professional, helpful and generally simply nice to talk to and deal with. The only downside I saw was that there was no feedback process, but the fact is that the competition is very tough, so even if you do well and don't really have anything in particular you need to improve, someone could very well have done better or have a more apt background or whatnot.

Interview Questions
    • No particular difficult or unexpected question. The case questions didn't seem particularly hard   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interviewer were all very nice. About 25 Minutes competency based questions, 30 mins case, 5 mins my Time to come up with questions. Know your cv is a Must.

Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Bewerbung Online, dann eingeladen zum Vorstellungsgespräch. Sehr nette und professionelle Atmosphäre. Zwei Case Interviews, zusammen mit zwei Personal Fit interviews. Sehr detaillierte Fragen zum Lebenslauf. Keine Stressfragen. Zwischen durch "Online-Case", ca. 45min am Computer. Von der Struktur so wie der online verfügbare Beispiel Case.

Interview Questions
    • Die Fragen waren sehr straight forward. Das Interview format war eher "candidate-led".   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

I applied through an employee referral and was invited to interview within approximately 1 month of the initial referral. I had 3 rounds of interviews all in one day, with a decision at the end of each round on whether interviewees had done well enough to move to the next stage. It was a long and gruelling day and required a lot of stamina, although there were breaks during which I was able to go to go outside, get some fresh air and recharge.

Before the interviews started we had a one hour session with a number of current consultants introducing the firm, getting to know each other and giving candidates the opportunity to ask questions for about half an hour - it was a nice way to start the day and meant I felt fairly relaxed by the time I went into my first interview.

The first round involved 2 regular case interviews and then an 'online case' i.e. numeracy & chart reading test done on a computer. The second round consisted of 2 cases with principals and the final round was just one case interview with a senior partner. Each interview lasted 45-60mins.

Each interview followed the classic format, i.e. 10-15m discussion about fit, motivation, prior experiences and leadership credentials, followed by up to 45m discussing a business case.

The fit discussions were in line with my expectations, and no major curveballs although I was asked to discuss a time I had failed and what I learnt from it. I found this section of the interview very informal and enjoyed getting to know my interviewers during the discussion. The case interviews were less fomulaic than at the other top tier firm I received an offer from and quite intellectually stimiulating. I found the key was putting down a very clear structure at the beginning and using it as a reference throughout the interview to engage the interviewer in my thinking.

Most of the cases involved calculations, one involved some quite lengthy and laborious market size calculations for different market segements. What helped here was actually writing out my equation and variables and then running each calculation whilst filling in a table to keep things organized. My 3rd round did not require any calculations at all and felt more like a series of mini-cases about specific business topics, than a classic business case.

Other than that the support team did a great job throughout the process (I had to fly to a neighboring country for my interview), they put us up in a lovely hotel and informed me of the outcome pretty early on the next working day after the interview.

Interview Questions
    • I had one deeply theoretical case about the automotive industry in which the solution required me to develop an equation from first principles to describe the economics of the product line the 'client' was operating in.   Answer Question
    Limited room to negotiate as packages and benefits are standardized. I had another offer from BCG's main competitor and their benefits package was superior (though their base pay was lower). Despite this, BCG did not change their offer significantly in the course of negotiations. However I went with BCG as it felt like the better fit for me and I was impressed with them throughout the process

Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2014.

First round interview consists of two interviews with principals or project managers. Each interview will involve about 10 minutes of 'fit' questions (tell me about a time when....) followed by a 30 minute case study and then a few minutes for you to ask questions. The second round interview is the same but consisted of three interviews with partners.

Interview Questions
    • When have you identified an underperforming team member and what did you do to improve their performance?   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

The first round of interviews consists of two interviews (with two different BCG employees), with three parts each. The first is a behavioral part, which is more like a conversation about items in your resume. The second part is a typical business case, as used by most business consulting firms in their recruiting process. The third part is about a 5 minute window to ask any questions.

Interview Questions
    • The business case part is difficult: I would recommend studying beforehand, but it is also interesting and challenging.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Johannesburg (South Africa)
    Anonymous Employee in Johannesburg (South Africa)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in November 2014.

I had quite an enjoyable experience of interviewing for a consultant role. Unfortunately, I didn't make it but would have got in as an MBA hire. Initially, I was sure I didn't want to apply to BCG during their campus recruiting cycle since I felt that I wouldn't be well-prepared. During a recruiting event, I talked to the head of recruiting for one of the offices I would be applying to and he encouraged me to apply. I was called for an interview and had just over a week to prepare for the case interview. I focused on working on cases in that time and, unfortunately, neglected preparing for the online quantitative test which turned out to be my undoing. Overall, it was a great experience -- the interviewers, in particular, were gracious.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me of a time when you received difficult feedback.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paris (France)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paris (France)

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in May 2012.

Two round of interviews with two interviews for each round. Interviews are based on business cases solving and you get feedback on your performance after each round. You also have to make a presentation on a business case which is easier than live interviews but challlenging in terms of time management

Interview Questions
    • What is the difference between BCG and other strategy consulting firms ?   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Final round: Two interviews with two principals. One focusing on personal experience and a short case, one with a "written case" and more in-depth personal experience questions. For the written case, one is supposed to spend 45 min reading the materials (a slide deck and a memo in my case) and then present to the interviewer their thinking process and findings.

Interview Questions
    • What are you passionate about? What wakes you up in the morning?   Answer Question