Boston Consulting Group

Updated Jul 28, 2014

Average Difficulty
122 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in August 2008.

Interview Details – 15 minute fit interview: Was asked basic questions that focused on my strengths/weaknesses. Asked to provide examples of challenging situations or situations in which I demonstrated qualities relevant to the consulting role (managing difficult personalities, taking on a leadership role even when not formally appointed, etc.) It was important to be prepared specific with examples as my interviewer kept probing for more details. It is important too in the "fit" part of the interview that everything you say has a purpose; i.e. don't spend time talking about something if it does not demonstrate a character trait that you would like the interviewer to be aware of.

30 minute case interview is typical of consulting cases. I had four interviews before getting an offer, and my sense was that the case interview process varies significantly across interviewers. Generally, in the first round expect more junior interviewers (and hence interview cases that are more data-driven); in latter rounds expect more senior interviewers who will be looking for you to draw insight from the analysis of a problem and provide creative solutions to problems that may appear run-of-the-mill at first pass

Interview Questions

• Give me three reasons why I should NOT hire you   View Answer
  • Tell me something about you that you are proud of, which you have not written in your resume   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Remuneration in the consulting industry (not BCG specifically) was too low.

Consultant

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in November 2007.

Interview Details – First round was two 45-minute interviews. Both interviews were 90% cases and the rest chitchat. Both cases were pretty quantitative. The interviewers were fairly junior (1-2 years tenure). I heard back 2-3 days later.

Final round was a 20-minute fit interview (why did you choose consulting, etc.) and two 45-minute case interviews. The fit interview was with a manager (~4 years tenure), and the cases were with very senior VPs. Again, both cases had a quantitative focus, though they were a little more free-flowing (no exhibits, for example, but a lot of estimation). I heard back about 3 days later.

Everyone at BCG was friendly; I left with a very positive impression of the people and the culture.

Interview Question – The case was about working with a nonprofit client, and estimating how much one of their initiatives would cost. I made an estimating error at one point (lost a zero), but I quickly caught it and it didn't hurt me.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Consultant

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in November 2008.

Interview Details – All of the communications were highly professional. The interviews were typical of what one would expect, 2 behavioral/case interviews in the first round and 3 behavioral/case interviews in the third round. Preparation is a must to perform well, however having a positive attitude along with some luck always helps. The number of interviews is helpful in getting multiple opportunities to show one's skills; conversely each interview provides a further opportunity to fail. In order to obtain an offer, every interview must go reasonably well.

Interview Question – The interviewee needs to know his/her resume backwards and forwards. Based on my resume, I was asked what my two favorite authors are, why that is so, and what I had read most recently by them. I did not expect the question to be so detailed.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiations.

Atlanta, GA

The process took a day - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2009.

Interview Details – 2 interviews back to back both 1:1. Gave a business case situation.
I thought i did everything right, had a good structure, was able to brainstorm and even drew a BCG matrix to answer a question. Yet did not get an offer. so they are hard to read.

The best way to prepare for the interview is to be good in structuring. so pick up any newspaper's business section and draw random structures for every situation. that way, u can be prepared for any kind of a case.

Interview Question – A healthcare company trying to launch a new headache curing drug. should or shouldn't they invest when they already have a general painkiller in the market.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2009.

Interview Details – their hiring and interview process is quite smooth. interview invitation was given via email.
on the interview day, u will have places to hang ur coat/bag and the bios of interviewers will be given.

1) What do you find most challenging
2) The client is a paper manufacturer. We focus on the paper towel division. Their revenue has been flat. u'r hired to help them grow their bottom line

Interview Question – the interview consists of 2 parts: fit + case. questions i got (as far as i can remember) are:
1) What do you find most challenging
  Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2009.

Interview Details – Resume screening resulting in about 100 candidates shortlisted for 1st round interview. Two interviews of 50 minutes duration each. First 10 minutes focus on fit, resume, background and experience type questions. "Tell me about a time when you had to defend your point of view when all others were against it". Case for about 30 minutes. Some math calculations.

Interview Question – What five words would your friends and colleagues use to describe you?   Answer Question

Boston, MA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2009.

Interview Details – First round is two mid-level consultants from any office. Each is about 15 minutes fit and 30 minutes case. Cases are real-life ones and pretty straightforward.

Second/final round is in the target office with three partners from that office. Each is about 45 minutes and more variable in content to the first round. Some give traditional cases, while other cases are a bit more creative in nature. The fit portion is more conversational.

Interview Question – A case with slide after slide of ambiguous data.   Answer Question

Atlanta, GA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2009.

Interview Details – Went through 2 one-on-one interviews with two partners, both were very pleasant. Afterwards there's a 2-hour written case study in which a ton of information, charts, and tables are presented in a booklet format, and I had to create a presentation presenting my recommendations based on the information in the booklet.

Interview Questions

Consultant

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2009.

Interview Details – Back to back first round interviews, 45 minutes each, which consisted of ~10 minutes personality with the rest being a very structured case which had only one expected path towards solution. The people were pretty laid back, but were under strict guidelines to look for the exact thought process.

Interview Question – What was a time you had to bend the rules to succeed?   Answer Question

Boston, MA

Interview Details – I had a good deal of previous contact with the company, attended several events, read about them, prepared for the case interviews. I was invited for the first round interview and talked to two interviewers. They were nice, curious, interesting. The feedback for not making an offer was that my solutions for the problems were intuitive.

Interview Question – I was asked to draw a framework on a strategy to fight Malaria in an Africa country.   Answer Question

Worked for Boston Consulting Group? Contribute to the Community!