Boston Consulting Group Consultant Interview Questions

3.8

126 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2012.

For PhD with a science/engineering background at a target school, the process starts with on campus recruitment. Getting an interview largely depends on the quality of the resume, which should really stand out as they probably spend no more than 30 sec on each in the screening process. Previous internship at Fortune 500 companies is (almost) a must as there are more people with it than they recruit. PhDs are hired at the same level as MBAs so the competition is fierce. There are two rounds of interviews and most people get cut in the 1st round. Interviewee driven style for cases so if you don't get to the point they will just stare at you. At least 3 months of preparation is necessary, but you can spend a year to prepare and still get cut in the first round, which happened to tens of people I know. Don't get obsessed in this. Luck is most important.

Interview Questions
  • Tell me a time you have to convince someone to do something he/she originally wasn't willing to.   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Boston Consulting Group

Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interviews were rigorous and difficult. Important to maintain cool under pressure. Must have hypothesis driven approach and interviewee must drive the case. Good structure and math are expected. Solution - practice... a lot.

1 round interview - 2 interviews in local office. Mix of behavioral and case interviews with Project Leader and Principal.
    Decision round - 3 interviews in the office of choice/preference. Again Mix of behavioral and case interviews with Partners and Principals.

Interview Questions
    • Rigor of the cases. Must have creative solutions yet also suggest implementable solutions to tough problems in a very short time (approx. 25 min cases).   Answer Question
    None. Best in class offers.

Consultant Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Long and strenuous interview process, but a great experience

Interview Questions
    • I was asked about a trucking company that was experiencing revenue loss year-over-year.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in August 2009.

Standard consulting case interview process. 2 rounds of interviews, 2 interviews in the first round, 3 interviews in the second round. All interviews with consulting staff, 2nd round with more senior staff. In both rounds decisions came the same day. Practice case offered between rounds. Interviews each took about 45 min.

Interview Questions
    • All the interviews had business cases, exactly as expected. All the cases were interesting problems to solve.   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate, which is typical for top consulting firms under normal circumstances.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

It was an interview on campus and there were 2 case studies, 45 mins/ ea. They asked me to analysis the business of a coffee shop providing the background of the market as well as the details of the shop and give a solution after the calculation. The following case study interview is given by a guy who had been in BCG for 1 year. We chatted a little bit football (he is from Europe) and finished the case. It went very smoothly. The second interview was easier for me. Whether or not the recruiter led you in the case analysis is important.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Kiev (Ukraine)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kiev (Ukraine)

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

The whole process took almost 3 months from application to the first round. Before the first round the candidate has to pass written case interview. On the first round there were 2 1:1 case interviews. One was an exploratory case on starting a new business, the other case was on valuation

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Singapore (Singapore)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

I interviewed through career services for my MBA program. It was a classic on campus recruiting process. First interview was on campus, two interviewers who you could tell were engaged and attentive. Both asked atypical case questions (neither had a clear cut and dry answer) you could tell they were analyzing how I broke down the problem. Second round was at BCG's offices and I met with two partners, was more of a strategy discussion than a case. They were really down to earth and very interesting people to get a chance to talk to.

Interview Questions
    • The interviewer said that a project I was working on was due in 2 months, but was just told by my team that we would need 4 months to complete. How do you solve the problem ? The interviewer was very vague with answers and didn't give anything that I didn't ask for.   View Answer
    No negotiation, consultant salaries out of MBA are pretty standardized.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Philadelphia, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, NY

Recruitment took place at Columbia University campus. The first round interview was with one of the CU graduates currently working at BCG HR. It was a very pleasant conversation about my background. The second round interview was in Philadelphia. I had 2 half-hour case case interviews with two different offices-Moscow and Kiev. To my surprise the interview was in Russian. I do speak fluent Russian, however, I got lost in terminology which I learn in English only. The interviewers were very nice and I felt that they liked me and even tried to help me. Nevertheless, I didn't pass this round. I was simply not prepared to do case interviews in Russian. Great experience though, gotta do a better job next time:)

Interview Questions
    • Russian company discovered 9 huge oil fields with different capacity. Analyze and prioritize each oil field.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2013.

Applied as a PhD student from a non-target school and was invited for a first round interview in the office. Interview consisted of two behavioral/case interviews. One interview was with a principal and the other was with a project manager. Cases were fairly standard affairs and were based on actual projects that the interviewers worked on.

Interview Questions
    • A pharmaceutical wants to expand to China or Mexico. Which one should they move into?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in September 2013.

I went to several presentations on campus and spoke to many of the ADC consultants from the west coast. Everyone was extremely friendly and open. It helps to network before submitting the cover letter through the website.
    Once submitted, they were a little inconsistent in letting people know whether they had a first round interview. They invited us to an interview prep workshop 2 days before which was nice but a little too late. My interviewers were great but I ultimately was unable to read the situation and do well.

Interview Questions
    • Business case didn't feel like the practice ones given. Case on solar panels. Not quite interviewer or interviewee led. Still was interesting even though I could tell by their body language that I was not going on to the next round.   Answer Question