Boston Consulting Group

Updated Jul 4, 2014

Average Difficulty
121 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Interviewed at Boston Consulting Group

Interview Details – - Comprehensive hiring process on campus; several networking sessions and dinners / cocktails
- BCG supported the interview process by organizing mock interviews with candidates
- Interview itself comprises 2 rounds of 2-3 45-min interviews (10-min behavioral, 30-min case and 5 mins to discuss other questions)

Interview Question – Nothing out-of-the-blue in terms of question. However, in second round with partners, it's likely that the interview structure could be non-traditional depending on the "mood" of the partner interviewing. Possible to end up even as a conversation / discussion about a topic of interest. But note that you are still being assessed on structured thinking, creativity, insights, etc.   Answer Question

Consultant

I applied online and interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview Details – interviews after Bridge to BCG program

Interview Question – During the second interview, the interviewer asked me to read some data first without asking for a framework.   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in February 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online, flown to SF office, passed 1st round but did not make it past final round.

Interview Question – One of cases was really hard and technical.   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in August 2011.

Interview Details – Great interview experience. Two rounds of interview - a case interview on the phone and followed by three case interviews at the office. The process was smooth. One of the case interviews was hard. However the importance is more on your thought process rather than getting the answer.

Consultant

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview Details – College campus initiated process with a resume drop. First round: 3 separate 30 minute interviews (resume and business case). Second round: 4 separate 30 minute interviews (resume and business case).

Interview Question – "Case interview" questions   View Answer

Consultant

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview Details – Two rounds of interviews. 2 back to back case interview each round. Good learning experience. Unfortunately I didn't get the offer. Very professional experience.

Interview Question – Who are you?   Answer Question

Milan (Italy)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview Details – Italy - Milan. First step consists in a computer based test, with questions about a case study. It is not very difficult but the hardest topic is time (45 minutes are not too much, consider that the case consists in 5 written pages); in the first step there is also a face-to-face interview.
The second step (1 month later for me) consists in two face to face interview.

The one-hour inferview consists in: 20 minutes of presentation and general questions, 30 minutes for a case study, 10 minures for questions.

Interview Question – Case studies are challenging   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2012.

Interview Details – For PhD with a science/engineering background at a target school, the process starts with on campus recruitment. Getting an interview largely depends on the quality of the resume, which should really stand out as they probably spend no more than 30 sec on each in the screening process. Previous internship at Fortune 500 companies is (almost) a must as there are more people with it than they recruit. PhDs are hired at the same level as MBAs so the competition is fierce. There are two rounds of interviews and most people get cut in the 1st round. Interviewee driven style for cases so if you don't get to the point they will just stare at you. At least 3 months of preparation is necessary, but you can spend a year to prepare and still get cut in the first round, which happened to tens of people I know. Don't get obsessed in this. Luck is most important.

Interview Question – Tell me a time you have to convince someone to do something he/she originally wasn't willing to.   View Answer

San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in September 2013.

Interview Details – I went to several presentations on campus and spoke to many of the ADC consultants from the west coast. Everyone was extremely friendly and open. It helps to network before submitting the cover letter through the website.
Once submitted, they were a little inconsistent in letting people know whether they had a first round interview. They invited us to an interview prep workshop 2 days before which was nice but a little too late. My interviewers were great but I ultimately was unable to read the situation and do well.

Interview Question – Business case didn't feel like the practice ones given. Case on solar panels. Not quite interviewer or interviewee led. Still was interesting even though I could tell by their body language that I was not going on to the next round.   Answer Question

Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2013.

Interview Details – Applied as a PhD student from a non-target school and was invited for a first round interview in the office. Interview consisted of two behavioral/case interviews. One interview was with a principal and the other was with a project manager. Cases were fairly standard affairs and were based on actual projects that the interviewers worked on.

Interview Question – A pharmaceutical wants to expand to China or Mexico. Which one should they move into?   Answer Question