Boston Consulting Group

Updated Mar 2, 2015
Updated Mar 2, 2015

3.8

Consultant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Started the process through a referral. The process consists of three rounds, the first just being a test similar to the GMAT but not multiple choice, only math, 20 questions in 20 minutes.
Then two 45 minute interviews, going over experience and some personal details, but mostly focusing on the case studies. These are cases that BCG actually worked on and summarized in a way that you can have a general sense and provide some insight. It's important to show your reasoning as you go along, as well as ask questions to be sure that you're getting all the information.
I didn't make it to the second and final round, but from what I understood it's the same case study format, just with more senior members of the team.
Everyone I dealt with, really everyone, was extremely polite, professional, helpful and generally simply nice to talk to and deal with. The only downside I saw was that there was no feedback process, but the fact is that the competition is very tough, so even if you do well and don't really have anything in particular you need to improve, someone could very well have done better or have a more apt background or whatnot.

Interview Questions
  • No particular difficult or unexpected question. The case questions didn't seem particularly hard   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Boston Consulting Group

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in August 2014.

First round was two 45min case interviews back to back in the office closest to my University. The next round was in Boston office, with one 45min case interview and a second written case interview. The written case is a new format started by few BCG offices. You get 25-30 slides with a set of questions, and 45min to analyze them. It is followed up with a presentation and discussion with a principal/partner.

Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2014.

First round interview consists of two interviews with principals or project managers. Each interview will involve about 10 minutes of 'fit' questions (tell me about a time when....) followed by a 30 minute case study and then a few minutes for you to ask questions. The second round interview is the same but consisted of three interviews with partners.

Interview Questions
    • When have you identified an underperforming team member and what did you do to improve their performance?   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interviewer were all very nice. About 25 Minutes competency based questions, 30 mins case, 5 mins my Time to come up with questions. Know your cv is a Must.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Johannesburg (South Africa)
    Anonymous Employee in Johannesburg (South Africa)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in November 2014.

I had quite an enjoyable experience of interviewing for a consultant role. Unfortunately, I didn't make it but would have got in as an MBA hire. Initially, I was sure I didn't want to apply to BCG during their campus recruiting cycle since I felt that I wouldn't be well-prepared. During a recruiting event, I talked to the head of recruiting for one of the offices I would be applying to and he encouraged me to apply. I was called for an interview and had just over a week to prepare for the case interview. I focused on working on cases in that time and, unfortunately, neglected preparing for the online quantitative test which turned out to be my undoing. Overall, it was a great experience -- the interviewers, in particular, were gracious.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me of a time when you received difficult feedback.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Final round: Two interviews with two principals. One focusing on personal experience and a short case, one with a "written case" and more in-depth personal experience questions. For the written case, one is supposed to spend 45 min reading the materials (a slide deck and a memo in my case) and then present to the interviewer their thinking process and findings.

Interview Questions
    • What are you passionate about? What wakes you up in the morning?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Networking is key to get a interview slot. Very important to identify the office of choice and have a strong reason as to why that office suits you well. Half the battle is behavioral, so trying to "crack" only the case interview may not be sufficient. Need to front load the networking and get into the list of interviews and then focus on working on the case interview. BCG case interviews are usually open ended unlike other consulting firms. You are expected to drive the process by yourself.

Interview Questions
    • No bouncers, straight forward questions. The case can be tricky at time, esp. the second round ones which are with the partners   Answer Question
    Not much room for negotiation on salary - potentially joining date etc are negotiable

Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2014.

I did my recruitment on campus a target MBA program. The recruitment was very structured with presentations and several networking opportunities before the application deadline. For those who did their research, followed the advice given and spent time on the resume and application they were very likely to get an interview.

First round as advertised: Two interviews with a fit part, a case part, and a Q&A part. Know you can nail the cases, but spend almost equally much time on your stories. Make sure you have 2-3 stories showing your leadership, achievements, dedication and entrepreneurial drive. For most this will take a lot of preparation. Use time with your friends to prep both parts of the interview and get feedback on both content and presentation of your stories

Final round with partners and principals at the office of my choice. They were focused on making sure I understood the local office, fit with the culture and really understood the job.The usual cases were in the partner interviews as well, but most of the focus was on fit

Interview Questions
    • Answering "Why BCG" in a convincing matter   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in September 2014.

There were two 45-minute interviews with a Project Leader and a Principle. Both interviewers were similar - 5 minute intro, 10 minutes of fit questions, 25 minutes of the case, and 5 minutes of my questions. There was nothing really surprising. Both interviewers were pleasant to talk to.

The first case was led by the interviewer (i.e. interviewer asking questions), while the second was interviewee-led (i.e. interviewer presents information only when asked). This threw me off as I was expecting the the interviewee-led cases. Be ready to lead the case or be led. The same structured approach should be applied to both.

Interview Questions
    • What accomplishment outside of work/school are you most proud of? What qualities would your ideal manager have?   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in September 2014.

2 rounds of interview. First round with junior people at an office close-by, both fit and case portions were no surprise. Candidates should prepare according to various online resources.

Second round was with the final office of choice. It also contained a written/presentation style format where candidates will be asked to prepare an executive summary and present with slides of choice.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time that you were disliked on a team.   Answer Question