Boston Consulting Group Consultant Interview Questions

Updated Jun 29, 2015

3.8

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

Started the process through a referral. The process consists of three rounds, the first just being a test similar to the GMAT but not multiple choice, only math, 20 questions in 20 minutes.
Then two 45 minute interviews, going over experience and some personal details, but mostly focusing on the case studies. These are cases that BCG actually worked on and summarized in a way that you can have a general sense and provide some insight. It's important to show your reasoning as you go along, as well as ask questions to be sure that you're getting all the information.
I didn't make it to the second and final round, but from what I understood it's the same case study format, just with more senior members of the team.
Everyone I dealt with, really everyone, was extremely polite, professional, helpful and generally simply nice to talk to and deal with. The only downside I saw was that there was no feedback process, but the fact is that the competition is very tough, so even if you do well and don't really have anything in particular you need to improve, someone could very well have done better or have a more apt background or whatnot.

Interview Questions

• No particular difficult or unexpected question. The case questions didn't seem particularly hard   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Boston Consulting Group

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (New York, NY) in January 2011.

Interview

The interview included three rounds, with an initial pre-screen. Final round was in the office where i was joining. The interviews included a fit questionaire section and a case on a topic from the client. Case included a math portion and a lot of framing analytics. All interviewers were very nice and friendly. But questions were tough.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Chicago, IL) in November 2011.

Interview

The interview process was primarily case based. It consists of 2, 30 minute interviews on campus. (I was in business school at the University of Chicago Booth School of Business at the time.) Followed by 4 interviews at the BCG office in Chicago on the final round. This took about 4 hours. There was very little in the way of fit or behavioral interview questions.

Interview Questions

• Our client is a manufacturer of bathroom fixtures. They are concerned about their long term prospects.   1 Answer

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2014.

Interview

First round interview consists of two interviews with principals or project managers. Each interview will involve about 10 minutes of 'fit' questions (tell me about a time when....) followed by a 30 minute case study and then a few minutes for you to ask questions. The second round interview is the same but consisted of three interviews with partners.

Interview Questions

• When have you identified an underperforming team member and what did you do to improve their performance?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Washington, DC).

Interview

5 rounds of interviews by many different teams and executives.

They were very focused and really wanted to know your background and giving specific examples. They also do a lot of follow up questions. You can't lie your way through the interviews.

Interview Questions

• If you were a brand, what would be your motto?   1 Answer

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seoul (South Korea)

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Seoul (South Korea)).

Interview

I applied through on-line for the consultant position. Got a call from HR few weeks later to schedule an interview saying that she will send me the confirmation email right away but didn't get till the next day. HR called again to change the time of the interview, confirmed, got a confirmation email.

Interview Questions

• typical why BCG, why consulting questions and a case study interview   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Washington, DC) in September 2014.

Interview

Case + behavioral, nothing unexpected there. Fly in night before, fly out evening of. Enjoyed the experience. Was concurrently interviewing with life sci strat firms, so thrown off when received a life sci case. Went inappropriately deep, interviewer subsequently asked me to turn off my scientific mind and only use my business mind. Shouldn't have gone to the level of diagnostic rate/prevalence rate/disease severity/drug side effects etc.

Relative to M&B, BCG seemed the least organized/invested in the recruiting/interviewing process.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milan (Italy)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Milan (Italy)) in November 2014.

Interview

The process entailed 6 interviews with 4 Principals and 2 Partners based on business cases on very different topics, plus 1 on-line business case on low-cost airlines' sector.
    The whole process was rapid, effective and result-oriented, and I received an offer in a very short time.
    Very limited margins for negotiation, but the package offered is very attractive.

Interview Questions

• Evaluate the market appeal of a new player producing umbrellas.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Boston, MA) in August 2014.

Interview

First round was two 45min case interviews back to back in the office closest to my University. The next round was in Boston office, with one 45min case interview and a second written case interview. The written case is a new format started by few BCG offices. You get 25-30 slides with a set of questions, and 45min to analyze them. It is followed up with a presentation and discussion with a principal/partner.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

It was a nice experience. Three one on one session. You will have chance to meet very smart and motivated people. The interview itself is normal consulting type case interview + personal experience interview. each one is about 40 min. Make sure have adequate practice before being there since it may need you have ability to drive the case from the beginning to the end.