Boston Consulting Group Consultant Interview Questions

Updated Apr 10, 2015

3.8

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

Started the process through a referral. The process consists of three rounds, the first just being a test similar to the GMAT but not multiple choice, only math, 20 questions in 20 minutes.
Then two 45 minute interviews, going over experience and some personal details, but mostly focusing on the case studies. These are cases that BCG actually worked on and summarized in a way that you can have a general sense and provide some insight. It's important to show your reasoning as you go along, as well as ask questions to be sure that you're getting all the information.
I didn't make it to the second and final round, but from what I understood it's the same case study format, just with more senior members of the team.
Everyone I dealt with, really everyone, was extremely polite, professional, helpful and generally simply nice to talk to and deal with. The only downside I saw was that there was no feedback process, but the fact is that the competition is very tough, so even if you do well and don't really have anything in particular you need to improve, someone could very well have done better or have a more apt background or whatnot.

Interview Questions

• No particular difficult or unexpected question. The case questions didn't seem particularly hard   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Boston Consulting Group

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (New York, NY) in January 2011.

Interview

The interview included three rounds, with an initial pre-screen. Final round was in the office where i was joining. The interviews included a fit questionaire section and a case on a topic from the client. Case included a math portion and a lot of framing analytics. All interviewers were very nice and friendly. But questions were tough.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Washington, DC).

Interview

5 rounds of interviews by many different teams and executives.

They were very focused and really wanted to know your background and giving specific examples. They also do a lot of follow up questions. You can't lie your way through the interviews.

Interview Questions

• If you were a brand, what would be your motto?   1 Answer

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seoul (South Korea)

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Seoul (South Korea)).

Interview

I applied through on-line for the consultant position. Got a call from HR few weeks later to schedule an interview saying that she will send me the confirmation email right away but didn't get till the next day. HR called again to change the time of the interview, confirmed, got a confirmation email.

Interview Questions

• typical why BCG, why consulting questions and a case study interview   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Washington, DC) in September 2014.

Interview

Case + behavioral, nothing unexpected there. Fly in night before, fly out evening of. Enjoyed the experience. Was concurrently interviewing with life sci strat firms, so thrown off when received a life sci case. Went inappropriately deep, interviewer subsequently asked me to turn off my scientific mind and only use my business mind. Shouldn't have gone to the level of diagnostic rate/prevalence rate/disease severity/drug side effects etc.

Relative to M&B, BCG seemed the least organized/invested in the recruiting/interviewing process.

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Boston, MA) in August 2014.

Interview

First round was two 45min case interviews back to back in the office closest to my University. The next round was in Boston office, with one 45min case interview and a second written case interview. The written case is a new format started by few BCG offices. You get 25-30 slides with a set of questions, and 45min to analyze them. It is followed up with a presentation and discussion with a principal/partner.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

It was a nice experience. Three one on one session. You will have chance to meet very smart and motivated people. The interview itself is normal consulting type case interview + personal experience interview. each one is about 40 min. Make sure have adequate practice before being there since it may need you have ability to drive the case from the beginning to the end.

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in November 2014.

Interview

In the first round, I met with two mid-level employees for 45 minutes each. Most of the time was spent on a case, with 5 to 10 minutes of fit questions for me, and a chance for me to ask questions of them. In the final round, I met with two senior employees. The format was similar - 45 minutes spent with each person, most of the time spent on the cases, with 10 minutes or so for fit questions at the end. One of the cases in the final round was a written case. Three of the four people I met with were very pleasant. I suspect the fourth may have been a stress interview.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time in which you had to persuade others to your point of view.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

Interviewer were all very nice. About 25 Minutes competency based questions, 30 mins case, 5 mins my Time to come up with questions. Know your cv is a Must.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Johannesburg (South Africa)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Johannesburg (South Africa)) in November 2014.

Interview

I had quite an enjoyable experience of interviewing for a consultant role. Unfortunately, I didn't make it but would have got in as an MBA hire. Initially, I was sure I didn't want to apply to BCG during their campus recruiting cycle since I felt that I wouldn't be well-prepared. During a recruiting event, I talked to the head of recruiting for one of the offices I would be applying to and he encouraged me to apply. I was called for an interview and had just over a week to prepare for the case interview. I focused on working on cases in that time and, unfortunately, neglected preparing for the online quantitative test which turned out to be my undoing. Overall, it was a great experience -- the interviewers, in particular, were gracious.

Interview Questions

• Tell me of a time when you received difficult feedback.   Answer Question