Boston Consulting Group Consultant Interview Questions

Updated Sep 15, 2014

3.8

125 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Milan (Italy)
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milan (Italy)

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Italy - Milan. First step consists in a computer based test, with questions about a case study. It is not very difficult but the hardest topic is time (45 minutes are not too much, consider that the case consists in 5 written pages); in the first step there is also a face-to-face interview.
The second step (1 month later for me) consists in two face to face interview.

The one-hour inferview consists in: 20 minutes of presentation and general questions, 30 minutes for a case study, 10 minures for questions.

Other Interview Reviews for Boston Consulting Group

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2012.

For PhD with a science/engineering background at a target school, the process starts with on campus recruitment. Getting an interview largely depends on the quality of the resume, which should really stand out as they probably spend no more than 30 sec on each in the screening process. Previous internship at Fortune 500 companies is (almost) a must as there are more people with it than they recruit. PhDs are hired at the same level as MBAs so the competition is fierce. There are two rounds of interviews and most people get cut in the 1st round. Interviewee driven style for cases so if you don't get to the point they will just stare at you. At least 3 months of preparation is necessary, but you can spend a year to prepare and still get cut in the first round, which happened to tens of people I know. Don't get obsessed in this. Luck is most important.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time you have to convince someone to do something he/she originally wasn't willing to.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in September 2013.

I went to several presentations on campus and spoke to many of the ADC consultants from the west coast. Everyone was extremely friendly and open. It helps to network before submitting the cover letter through the website.
    Once submitted, they were a little inconsistent in letting people know whether they had a first round interview. They invited us to an interview prep workshop 2 days before which was nice but a little too late. My interviewers were great but I ultimately was unable to read the situation and do well.

Interview Questions
    • Business case didn't feel like the practice ones given. Case on solar panels. Not quite interviewer or interviewee led. Still was interesting even though I could tell by their body language that I was not going on to the next round.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2013.

Applied as a PhD student from a non-target school and was invited for a first round interview in the office. Interview consisted of two behavioral/case interviews. One interview was with a principal and the other was with a project manager. Cases were fairly standard affairs and were based on actual projects that the interviewers worked on.

Interview Questions
    • A pharmaceutical wants to expand to China or Mexico. Which one should they move into?   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interviews were rigorous and difficult. Important to maintain cool under pressure. Must have hypothesis driven approach and interviewee must drive the case. Good structure and math are expected. Solution - practice... a lot.

1 round interview - 2 interviews in local office. Mix of behavioral and case interviews with Project Leader and Principal.
    Decision round - 3 interviews in the office of choice/preference. Again Mix of behavioral and case interviews with Partners and Principals.

Interview Questions
    • Rigor of the cases. Must have creative solutions yet also suggest implementable solutions to tough problems in a very short time (approx. 25 min cases).   Answer Question
    None. Best in class offers.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Singapore (Singapore)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

I interviewed through career services for my MBA program. It was a classic on campus recruiting process. First interview was on campus, two interviewers who you could tell were engaged and attentive. Both asked atypical case questions (neither had a clear cut and dry answer) you could tell they were analyzing how I broke down the problem. Second round was at BCG's offices and I met with two partners, was more of a strategy discussion than a case. They were really down to earth and very interesting people to get a chance to talk to.

Interview Questions
    • The interviewer said that a project I was working on was due in 2 months, but was just told by my team that we would need 4 months to complete. How do you solve the problem ? The interviewer was very vague with answers and didn't give anything that I didn't ask for.   View Answer
    No negotiation, consultant salaries out of MBA are pretty standardized.

Consultant Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Long and strenuous interview process, but a great experience

Interview Questions
    • I was asked about a trucking company that was experiencing revenue loss year-over-year.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Applied through the Advanced degree route. BCG came to campus for a presentation. Case practice workshop was conducted for first round interviewees. First round was in Chicago. Interviewed by two projects leaders. Each interview consisted of a 10 min fit component, a 30 minute case and 5 min Q&A. Fit and case were both pretty standard.

Interview Questions
    • Heavy on data analysis from graphs/tables. Need to be quick/thorough with math.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2011.

2 round 1 interviews followed by 3 round 2 interviews

Interview Questions
    • All interviews were typical case interviews. Familiarity with charts is important as they tend to use a lot of exhibits   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 5 months - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in August 2013.

There are two rounds 1st round I had two interview with a project leader and a principle. The Second round I had two interviews with Partners. With the exception of one of my final round interviews all the interviews had the same standard format. Fit interview for 15 min and then candidate lead case interview for 30 min. One of my final round interviews was a written interview where I had 45 min to look through information and compose a recommendation. I then had 45 min of discussion and follow-up questions with my interviewer regarding the situation. Then I had 15 min of Fit interview to finish up.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was probably some of the math in one of the cases. Not complicated mathematically, but conceptually trying to figure out how to structure the solution.   Answer Question