Boston Consulting Group

Updated Nov 13, 2014

3.8

139 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in April 2014.

Applied to the London office. They came to our business school, had a number of information sessions and then screened CVs for the first round. Passed the first round of two interviews and then had three interviews with partners for the second round about ten days later.

In between doing the second (and final) round and getting dinged I got two congratulations e-mails from BCG, one from a 'buddy' who was assigned to me to convince me to join and one from the lead recruiter at our school. Naturally it was very confusing when I got the ding phone call.

They promised to call me later with feedback on my interviews, but never did.

Interview Questions
  • How would you advise the mayor of London to improve the competitiveness of the financial sector?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Boston Consulting Group

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mexico, Distrito Federal (Mexico)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mexico, Distrito Federal (Mexico)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in April 2013.

I was applying off season so I approached a Partner via my extended network. They liked my profile. Since I was applying off recruiting season and 1 year after graduating from my MBA it took them over a month to schedule the first round of interviews. After the first round with a Principal and a Consultant I passed to the second round.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

I applied via ADC recruiting at my university. Within two weeks I was notified of an interview the next week. Two simple profitability cases and fit interviews. Second round interview was with two principals, cases were relatively straightforward. Third round with managing partner consisted of creating a business plan in a different era.

Interview Questions
    • A 'just brainstorming' question that turned into a case.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in December 2010.

3 rounds of 2 interviews in each round. Very predictable format - first questions about CV / personality and motivation then case interview. There are books and a lot of resources to prepare for this - do so. Practice with friends or peers at school who are about to apply.

Interview Questions
    • A lot of people mess up on the numbers / math. Be prepared to be able to do juggle numbers quickly either in your head or on a paper.   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation. All peers have the same compensation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2013.

BCG came on campus. Resume got selected through the pool. Interview scheduled within two weeks of application.

Two rounds. First one was on campus. Two 30 minutes interview with 5-7 minutes of behavioral then a case study. Both interviews lasted more than 45 minutes.

Second round at the office. Three 30 minutes talk scheduled. This time emphasis more on fit but still a case study involved. Met with few other members at the office as well.

Impression: Super cool bunch of people. Very impressed. I like them better than McKinsey or Bain. Top notch firm...! Take an offer if you get it.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing out of the ordinary or trick question. Case study was straight forward. They try to help you along like you're working on an assignment together. Show them your work while discussing it. DO NOT mess up the simple math and do it on the fly. If you're making math related mistakes, you won't get a second round. Simple as that.   Answer Question

I'm more interested in I-Banking than Consulting.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in August 2012.

There were 3 rounds of interviews - each of the first 2 rounds were case interviews, an he final round was one case interview and one 'fit' interview. I got into the interview process, when BCG did a presentation at my campus, and I talked to the recruiter that was there, afterward. She put me into the process, and then emailed me to schedule the interviews. The first 2 rounds were in the local BCG office, and the last round was a video-conference with the office I had applied to.

Interview Questions
    • Due to the employment agreement, I can't divulge any specific question. But I can say that I used the prep questions on BCG's website (as well as on Bain's and McK's) to practice case interviews. And I looked at other websites that have case interviews for practice purposes. These really helped with prep. Also I read the Economist regularly, so it was easy to make small talk, or have context for international-type questions.   Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate my offer, b/c I knew it was standard for the role for someone coming out of school (like myself). I think if you have additional work experience you can negotiate for more.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2013.

Submit my resume through campus recruiting in September. Got selected for interviews. The first round was on campus, two case interviews. Each interview took about 30 minutes. Second round was on-site in October. There were 3 case interviews. Case interviews were similar to those in the first round.

Consultant Interview

Initially picked up via a 3rd party recruitment firm. Submitted CV and covering letter for specific BCG team (IVI Taskforce). Attended first round interview at which I met two BCG employees, one specifically from IVI team and one more senior general strategist. Both interviews had all the standard cultural fit and CV exploration. Both had a case study element, one relating to to a Swiss bank looking to reduce costs.

Interview Questions
    • Maths elements of both case studies were quite complex and you were invited to ask questions or clarify. However interviewer sat right next to you which was slightly off-putting.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

- Comprehensive hiring process on campus; several networking sessions and dinners / cocktails
    - BCG supported the interview process by organizing mock interviews with candidates
    - Interview itself comprises 2 rounds of 2-3 45-min interviews (10-min behavioral, 30-min case and 5 mins to discuss other questions)

Interview Questions
    • Nothing out-of-the-blue in terms of question. However, in second round with partners, it's likely that the interview structure could be non-traditional depending on the "mood" of the partner interviewing. Possible to end up even as a conversation / discussion about a topic of interest. But note that you are still being assessed on structured thinking, creativity, insights, etc.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

interviews after Bridge to BCG program

Interview Questions
    • During the second interview, the interviewer asked me to read some data first without asking for a framework.   Answer Question