Boston Consulting Group

3.8

140 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

I applied for the consultant position at an office overseas via MBA on-campus recruiting. I was interviewed by an international recruiting team (not from the office I was applying for.) Round one had two interviews. Each interview lasted 45 minutes and included a few fit questions and a case. One interviewer was a Project Leader and the other was an Associate Principal. (Both men.)

Interview Questions
  • Unexpected fit question: "If I took your resume and removed the name at the top, what line on your resume would make your friends read it and recognize you?"   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Boston Consulting Group

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

First round interview was in Boston; two 45-minute interviews - one with a Consultant, and one with a Project Leader. Both interviews had a similar format - a little bit of chit chat, a couple of more formal fit questions, and then the case. The cases were reasonably tricky, requiring a structured approach and also some logic/insight.

Moved on to a final round interview in New York. Nearly identical format, but this time with Principals/Partners. Fit questions were a bit less formal (no "tell me about a time when..." questions), and one of the cases was quite unconventional. I felt that the interview went pretty well, but got a rejection call a few days later. Main feedback point was that I didn't do a good enough job of highlighting why I was interested in consulting. I was disappointed by the outcome, but left with a very positive impression of the firm.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2012.

First round interview in Chicago. Second round interview in DC. The recruiting staff does a good job ensuring that the trips and office visits are pleasant and go smoothly.

5 interviews total between the 2 rounds. Each interview was 1 on 1 for about 45min and consisted of 10min of fit questions about leadership, teamwork, and interest in consulting followed by 30min of a business case and ending with time for me to ask questions. In each case interview the interviewers defaulted to having me pick which parts of my framework to investigate, but they intervened for the sake of time if I went too far off track or made serious math mistakes.

First round interviews consisted of 2 interviews by current Consultants. Both were friendly. One was open and easy to read, the other was not. Both cases were pretty straightforward, with a problem statement, a question about how to proceed, analysis of charts, some calculations, and recommendations. At the end they gave some good insights into the job and lifestyle when I asked.

Second round interviews consisted of 3 interviews by current Partners. The partners definitely came across as having high standards but were friendly, professional, and pretty easy to read. The business cases they used each seemed to be pet cases that were relevant to their own experience and that they'd used many times before. Two of these cases put extra emphasis on brainstorming and hypothesizing compared to the first round interviews. They very clearly appreciated creative and insightful answers and were clearly unimpressed by poor analysis and getting flustered by mistakes. The partners provided good insights into the company when I asked at the end.

Overall, the interviews were a positive experience. I like the case format's ability to convey analytical abilities, but it's tough to expand meaningfully on a resume in 10 minutes of fit questions.

Interview Questions
    • One of the interviewers gave me a blank graph and asked me to speculate what it should look like based on our previous discussion.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2012.

Ph.D. , participated in Bridge to BCG was given first round interview. Overall had great experience at BCG. But realize one thing about BCG fit trumps all. I had two interviews one by Principal and a Project Leader.
    1) PL: Tell me about yourself? Why Consulting? Working in teams, what people you get along with? Strengths and weaknesses? The interviewer somehow didnt connect with me and kept interrupting me in between and didnt allow me to complete any single answer.
    2) Principal: Time when you solved difficult situation/ persuade a team? . Tell me about your research?

Overall, i thought did well, but after three days got call from HR person giving new that i wont go to next round. Feedback was very deceptive and not true of what even happened in interview. Overall neutral experience.

Interview Questions
    • Case 1: Simple case on shampoos where a chain had lower margins than competition becuase they didnt have store brand (higher margin product)
      Case 2: Difficult Case: Your client is cheese maker, they are seeing fluctuating milk prices, help them think if they should buy contract for milk at price below market for next 5 years.

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2012.

Pretty well structured, got an invite for a first round later in the week. Two interviews, back to back, with about 10 minutes of behavioral/background questions, 30 minutes for the case question, and then 5 minutes for questions about the firm.

Overall relaxed, though it was tough to get a good read on the interviewer. Definitely brush up on basic math, especially multiplication and division and practice in front of someone as it simulates the pressure you'll have. It seems like even a simple math error can doom you, so practice.

It was well run, everything was on time. Though they said that candidates could get feedback post-interview, though it hasn't been forthcoming which is somewhat disappointing. Overall a decent experience but hard to tell why one makes the cut or doesn't.

Interview Questions
    • One question on dis-aggregating the impact of a change in profit margin and revenue change on net income. Not difficult, but just took a bit to understand what they were asking.

Also, one behavioral question was to pick a topic I knew a lot about and just explain it in detail for five minutes. Others were typical, why do you want to do consulting, tell me about a time you were on a team, etc.

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2012.

First round consisted of two interviews, one with a Project Leader and one with a Principal. A few fit questions and then moved into the case. The cases have lots of exhibits and are usually very unstructured.

The first case was a market entry and financial analysis with lots of exhibits to look through. The second case was a profitability analysis.

Second round consisted of four interviews - 3 partners and 1 principal.

One case just a bunch of confusing exhibits to sort through and talk about. Another case was about profitability and another was about growth strategy. The final case was written - they gave me an annual report for a company and an industry report and asked me to piece together a few talking points to brief the partner who was going to meet with the client CEO. They gave me half an hour to do it and walked in after 22 minutes to say wrap it up.

Interview Questions
    • Most unexpected question was what I think about the European debt crisis!   Answer Question

Not flexible on pay and position

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2012.

For PhD with a science/engineering background at a target school, the process starts with on campus recruitment. Getting an interview largely depends on the quality of the resume, which should really stand out as they probably spend no more than 30 sec on each in the screening process. Previous internship at Fortune 500 companies is (almost) a must as there are more people with it than they recruit. PhDs are hired at the same level as MBAs so the competition is fierce. There are two rounds of interviews and most people get cut in the 1st round. Interviewee driven style for cases so if you don't get to the point they will just stare at you. At least 3 months of preparation is necessary, but you can spend a year to prepare and still get cut in the first round, which happened to tens of people I know. Don't get obsessed in this. Luck is most important.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time you have to convince someone to do something he/she originally wasn't willing to.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, NY

Recruitment took place at Columbia University campus. The first round interview was with one of the CU graduates currently working at BCG HR. It was a very pleasant conversation about my background. The second round interview was in Philadelphia. I had 2 half-hour case case interviews with two different offices-Moscow and Kiev. To my surprise the interview was in Russian. I do speak fluent Russian, however, I got lost in terminology which I learn in English only. The interviewers were very nice and I felt that they liked me and even tried to help me. Nevertheless, I didn't pass this round. I was simply not prepared to do case interviews in Russian. Great experience though, gotta do a better job next time:)

Interview Questions
    • Russian company discovered 9 huge oil fields with different capacity. Analyze and prioritize each oil field.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in September 2012.

People were friendly. Interview process consist of 2 rounds. 1st round is 2 interviews lasting 45 minutes each. 2nd round consists of 4 interviews with principals and partners at the office you want to work at.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in March 2012.

Applied via corporate employment web portal. The web portal was not user friendly and it took an inordinate amount of time to complete the application. I was eventually sent an email that they would like to do a phone interview. The rescheduled the interview several times. The interviewer was in another city and had no specific knowledge of the position or people I would work with. The interviewer promised follow through and I never heard back. I was not overly disappointed as a had a very negative impression of the company at that point.

Interview Questions
    • The asked about specific types of marketing analysis that I had never heard of. I have researched these and found little or no information. They must by BCG specific. So, without working there before....   View Answer