Boston Consulting Group

Average Difficulty
121 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in March 2012.

Interview Details – Very friendly interviewer. Questions are normal cases, but I made several mistakes on Maths... I did it too quickly but didn't double check it. One question expect you to show some creativities. People should be prepared for the math. Review the case frameworks

Interview Question – A time you failed.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2009.

Interview Details – 2 rounds of case interviews; 1st round has 2 interviews with more junior-level managers; 2nd round has 3 interviews with more senior level managers

Interview Question – Case that involved a lot of technical jargon that no one (unless you were a biomed PhD) would understand. Trick is to just look past that and treat it like any other business problem.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiating -- standard package

New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in September 2012.

Interview Details – People were friendly. Interview process consist of 2 rounds. 1st round is 2 interviews lasting 45 minutes each. 2nd round consists of 4 interviews with principals and partners at the office you want to work at.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you failed   Answer Question

Houston, TX

Interview Details – Applied via corporate employment web portal. The web portal was not user friendly and it took an inordinate amount of time to complete the application. I was eventually sent an email that they would like to do a phone interview. The rescheduled the interview several times. The interviewer was in another city and had no specific knowledge of the position or people I would work with. The interviewer promised follow through and I never heard back. I was not overly disappointed as a had a very negative impression of the company at that point.

Interview Question – The asked about specific types of marketing analysis that I had never heard of. I have researched these and found little or no information. They must by BCG specific. So, without working there before....   View Answer

Chicago, IL

I applied through other source and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2011.

Interview Details – On-campus MBA intern interview process. I went through the standard MBA on-campus recruiting process. Over several months, I attended presentations, dinners, special events for high-potential women etc. I then submitted my CV and cover letter along with my office preferences online. A few days later BCG invited me for an interview on the "closed" list. The interview was 2 back to back one on one interviews that were 95% case based. The other 5% was basically a quick CV review.

Interview Question – I don't understand why you want this job. It doesn't make sense with your CV.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in May 2011.

Interview Details – Got an interview call through a partner at the firm.

Very Difficult Interview

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2011.

Interview Details – Two rounds of interviews, first round involved 2 interviews with project leaders and second round 3 interviews with principals and partners. Standard management consulting interviews with half time spent on case study and other half spent on your personal story/background. Very tough interview, but overall a very pleasant experience with a great group of people.

Interview Question – Case interview involving mining company that pioneered a new mining process that made extensive ore deposits accessible but required new equipment not commercially available. Should they manufacturer in-house or contract to outside firms?   View Answer

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2010.

Interview Details – Applied through college website for an internship and got an interview offer. Was called to their offices for in person interviews. Had two 30 minute interviews, back to back with two consultants. One was a very typical tell me about yourself, your weaknesses , strengths, why BCG interview and the next was a 30 minute case interview with lots of graphs and charts. I fumbled in one of them and did not get a call back, but the process was very smooth and the people were extremely courteous.

Philadelphia, PA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in December 2011.

Interview Details – Apx 25 days after my notification of being selected, I interviewed at the Philadelphia office. So, BCG is supposed to have a great culture, but on my interview day I was underwhelmed. First, the office was in shambles as they were in the process of moving, however more importantly, both of my interviewers were extremely late (about 45 minutes late for first 1:1) and then another 30 minutes in between. The first interviewer tried his best to be disinterested by my caseworks. However, he did say at the end that I impressed him.

Next interviewer, started by putting his feet on the desk (with no socks) and eating out of a paper bowl of soup, talking simultaneously. Odd start. Anyway, case was average difficulty.

Somehow I kept an enthusiastic facade throughout this goat rodeo of a job interview. Which led me to ask myself one question. Are these the kind of people I wanted to work with?

I think I was fortunate, as they decided for me.

Houston, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in February 2012.

Interview Details – First round was two back to back 45 minute interviews. Decision round was a series of three 45 minute interviews. Interviews always started off with a few behavioral questions and then transitioned to the case with a few minute at the end for questions. Cases were real projects the interviewers had been involved with. Interesting and challenging. I wasn't successful but best of luck to others who are interviewing.

Interview Question – Why BCG, Why Consulting   Answer Question