Boston Consulting Group Consultant Interview Questions

Updated Jul 23, 2015

3.8

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seoul (South Korea)

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Seoul (South Korea)).

Interview

I applied through on-line for the consultant position. Got a call from HR few weeks later to schedule an interview saying that she will send me the confirmation email right away but didn't get till the next day. HR called again to change the time of the interview, confirmed, got a confirmation email.

Interview Questions

• typical why BCG, why consulting questions and a case study interview   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Boston Consulting Group

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)) in November 2012.

Interview

Got an interview appointment through a networking event. Interview planning was done through the recruiter who was very helpful in accommodating my schedule. First round of interviews was done by consultants and I passed that fine. Second round of interviews was done by principal/engagement manager level people and unfortunately I screwed up and didn't get through. Overall everyone was very professional and gave helpful feedback.

Interview Questions

• I misunderstood a market sizing question for a generic market question, went way too broad and got dinged by the principal.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (New York, NY).

Interview

First round interview was in Boston; two 45-minute interviews - one with a Consultant, and one with a Project Leader. Both interviews had a similar format - a little bit of chit chat, a couple of more formal fit questions, and then the case. The cases were reasonably tricky, requiring a structured approach and also some logic/insight. Moved on to a final round interview in New York. Nearly identical format, but this time with Principals/Partners. Fit questions were a bit less formal (no "tell me about a time when..." questions), and one of the cases was quite unconventional. I felt that the interview went pretty well, but got a rejection call a few days later. Main feedback point was that I didn't do a good enough job of highlighting why I was interested in consulting. I was disappointed by the outcome, but left with a very positive impression of the firm.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in September 2012.

Interview

Challenging but interesting interview process. Every individuals involved in the process were professional and it was great to walk through the various cases with them. It felt more like a conversation. I would recommend spending 100+ hours preparing/practicing for the case interviews as this represents the core of the interview process.

Interview Questions

• "Guesstimate" question where you have to calculate the numbers of items that fit in a certain area.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Boston, MA) in August 2014.

Interview

First round was two 45min case interviews back to back in the office closest to my University. The next round was in Boston office, with one 45min case interview and a second written case interview. The written case is a new format started by few BCG offices. You get 25-30 slides with a set of questions, and 45min to analyze them. It is followed up with a presentation and discussion with a principal/partner.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Washington, DC) in October 2012.

Interview

First round interview in Chicago. Second round interview in DC. The recruiting staff does a good job ensuring that the trips and office visits are pleasant and go smoothly. 5 interviews total between the 2 rounds. Each interview was 1 on 1 for about 45min and consisted of 10min of fit questions about leadership, teamwork, and interest in consulting followed by 30min of a business case and ending with time for me to ask questions. In each case interview the interviewers defaulted to having me pick which parts of my framework to investigate, but they intervened for the sake of time if I went too far off track or made serious math mistakes. First round interviews consisted of 2 interviews by current Consultants. Both were friendly. One was open and easy to read, the other was not. Both cases were pretty straightforward, with a problem statement, a question about how to proceed, analysis of charts, some calculations, and recommendations. At the end they gave some good insights into the job and lifestyle when I asked. Second round interviews consisted of 3 interviews by current Partners. The partners definitely came across as having high standards but were friendly, professional, and pretty easy to read. The business cases they used each seemed to be pet cases that were relevant to their own experience and that they'd used many times before. Two of these cases put extra emphasis on brainstorming and hypothesizing compared to the first round interviews. They very clearly appreciated creative and insightful answers and were clearly unimpressed by poor analysis and getting flustered by mistakes. The partners provided good insights into the company when I asked at the end. Overall, the interviews were a positive experience. I like the case format's ability to convey analytical abilities, but it's tough to expand meaningfully on a resume in 10 minutes of fit questions.

Interview Questions

• One of the interviewers gave me a blank graph and asked me to speculate what it should look like based on our previous discussion.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

It was a nice experience. Three one on one session. You will have chance to meet very smart and motivated people. The interview itself is normal consulting type case interview + personal experience interview. each one is about 40 min. Make sure have adequate practice before being there since it may need you have ability to drive the case from the beginning to the end.

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in November 2014.

Interview

In the first round, I met with two mid-level employees for 45 minutes each. Most of the time was spent on a case, with 5 to 10 minutes of fit questions for me, and a chance for me to ask questions of them. In the final round, I met with two senior employees. The format was similar - 45 minutes spent with each person, most of the time spent on the cases, with 10 minutes or so for fit questions at the end. One of the cases in the final round was a written case. Three of the four people I met with were very pleasant. I suspect the fourth may have been a stress interview.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time in which you had to persuade others to your point of view.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kiev (Ukraine)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Kiev (Ukraine)).

Interview

The whole process took almost 3 months from application to the first round. Before the first round the candidate has to pass written case interview. On the first round there were 2 1:1 case interviews. One was an exploratory case on starting a new business, the other case was on valuation

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Philadelphia, PA).

Interview

It was an interview on campus and there were 2 case studies, 45 mins/ ea. They asked me to analysis the business of a coffee shop providing the background of the market as well as the details of the shop and give a solution after the calculation. The following case study interview is given by a guy who had been in BCG for 1 year. We chatted a little bit football (he is from Europe) and finished the case. It went very smoothly. The second interview was easier for me. Whether or not the recruiter led you in the case analysis is important.