Boston Consulting Group Consultant Interview Questions

Updated Apr 10, 2015

3.8

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in September 2014.

Interview

Upon getting the notification email for interview, I was also given the option to attend their case workshop. Very beneficial, especially for candidates not too familiar with doing cases. Through the workshop, candidates can also learn more about the BCG interview style. Aside from general info, we did two cases with two different consultants. For the 1st round in office interview, which consisted of 2 interview sessions, within each, there were a fit question portion, 30 min case, then Q&A. Interviewers were nice, the interview process itself seemed very casual and more conversational.

Interview Questions

• Unexpectedly, an interviewer asked me about my thesis project, which is very heavy on science.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Boston Consulting Group

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in September 2014.

Interview

Great company! Initial communication with HR via telephone. Interviews were offered in two locations in Canada. Transportation cost was covered by BCG. The Toronto offices are pristine, the interviewers are smart and interesting people. You will learn a great deal about BCG, consulting and yourself during this interview process, enjoy it.

Interview Questions

• How would you say that people describe your leadership style and how is it potentially flawed?   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Interview

went through case study where they talked about an oil company and the financial difficulties and there was some other companies that also played a part. Many of the companies sold energy or worked on energy. The interviewer was very nice, not very chatty. Some of the other questions were very standard things like working in groups, conflict etc.

Consultant Interview

Interview

I applied online after attending information sessions held at university or college. I had two 45 min, one-on-one interviews that each had a short behavioral question followed by a case. Both cases were straight forward, standard cases of the sort that are found in case interview preparation books. Both interviewers were friendly and cheerful. Received a decision email three days later.

Interview Questions

• Both cases were straight forward cases of the sort that can be found in case interview preparation books like Case in Point.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

I had two cases that were 30 minutes each and before each case there was a 15 min behavioural component. The cases were pretty straight forward. If I had done more prep I think it could have gone quite well. Both interviewers were very friendly and helpful.

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in May 2014.

Interview

I got my resume into the recruiting cycle through a connection. I was told there would be at least two interview rounds, with 2 to 3 interviews at each stage. People were very nice, and they tried to help candidates feel comfortable

Interview Questions

• The business case was a little confusing because it focused on an example "client" who also had clients, and I'm a little embarrassed to say it was hard to keep everything straight in my mind.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (London, England (UK)) in April 2014.

Interview

Applied to the London office. They came to our business school, had a number of information sessions and then screened CVs for the first round. Passed the first round of two interviews and then had three interviews with partners for the second round about ten days later.

In between doing the second (and final) round and getting dinged I got two congratulations e-mails from BCG, one from a 'buddy' who was assigned to me to convince me to join and one from the lead recruiter at our school. Naturally it was very confusing when I got the ding phone call.

They promised to call me later with feedback on my interviews, but never did.

Interview Questions

• How would you advise the mayor of London to improve the competitiveness of the financial sector?   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mexico, Distrito Federal (Mexico)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Mexico, Distrito Federal (Mexico)) in April 2013.

Interview

I was applying off season so I approached a Partner via my extended network. They liked my profile. Since I was applying off recruiting season and 1 year after graduating from my MBA it took them over a month to schedule the first round of interviews. After the first round with a Principal and a Consultant I passed to the second round.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (New York, NY).

Interview

I applied via ADC recruiting at my university. Within two weeks I was notified of an interview the next week. Two simple profitability cases and fit interviews. Second round interview was with two principals, cases were relatively straightforward. Third round with managing partner consisted of creating a business plan in a different era.

Interview Questions

• A 'just brainstorming' question that turned into a case.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)) in December 2010.

Interview

3 rounds of 2 interviews in each round. Very predictable format - first questions about CV / personality and motivation then case interview. There are books and a lot of resources to prepare for this - do so. Practice with friends or peers at school who are about to apply.

Interview Questions

• A lot of people mess up on the numbers / math. Be prepared to be able to do juggle numbers quickly either in your head or on a paper.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is no negotiation. All peers have the same compensation.